Megadeth To Release "Super Collider" June 2013

I absolutely don't want to sit through 45 minutes of that guy talking.
th_suicide-7.gif

That's ok but he did say interesting stuff about the global elite and their agenda but a lot of people don't want to listen to those topics or will simply ignore it because it's Dave.

Well a lot of it has to do with everything coming out of Dave's mouth being batshit crazy.

This album is just so...unimpressive. I honestly can't remember a single Megadeth song from the last three albums. Dave hasn't put out a memorable album in nine years, and even The System Has Failed faltered in the second half. His lyrics and "vocal melodies" these days are laughable at best. Time to hang it up, Dave. Or at least take longer than two years before the next record. Keep writing and actually evaluate the songs you've written, instead of just cramming 12 tracks on a disc and being content with mediocrity.

I get the feeling its just 1 album too many/far. I do not want to say anymore. I do not want to say dis-respectful things about Legends. Quite similar re Sabbath 13. Not as good as in the past.

I get the feeling its just 1 album too many/far. I do not want to say anymore. I do not want to say dis-respectful things about Legends. Quite similar re Sabbath 13. Not as good as in the past.

I actually think 13 is a really good album, and don't have anything bad to say about it other than the compression and mix. Now, Sabbath live these days, that's a whole 'nuther story...

Dave was a spectacular guitarist back in the day (and can still hold his own against a lot of players), but this guy blows him out of the water on simple creativity alone.

That said, I have never been more irritated by someone's voice/facial antics. I swore I'd never say this in life, but: I actually prefer Dave Mustaine's singing.

It is so incredibly weird to see Jason wandering around without his bass guitar...

That said, he's actually a pretty good front man. A little manic, but still awesome. The sound quality is terrible in that video, but Jason always sang the old Metallica tunes much better than Hetfield. Once James got to his 30's, he lost the raw power in his voice, even though his voice got much better. Jason will never lose that power, 'cause he's way too fuckin' metal!

Top 10 song, maybe even Top 5. Also, pretty sure vocals were recorded in the studio :p (which isn't so bad considering how Mustaine sounds these days).

I have now listened to 'Super Collider' and I can agree with everyone else that it's pretty bad. The first two tracks and 'Forget to Remember' are the best from the album in my opinion. Yeah, I even like the title track. Despite the fact that it sounds like a country music song gone mad I still enjoy it although I suspect that Dave was looking for words to rhyme with "higher" when he wrote 'Super Collider' because the song has fuck all to do with super colliders! :p When the album title was announced I expected the title track to be in the same vain conceptually as 'Hangar 18'. 'Dance in the Rain' is probably the worst track from the new album as Dave's spoken word verses annoy the crap out of me. The title track from 'United Abominations' was also ruined by that style.

So overall there were few highlights and a poor album overall. I'll still happily go to see Megadeth again though.

Last edited:
This seems to be the most active Megadeth thread created post-2006, so I'll continue to post in here. I'm on my way to see Megadeth in just a few hours on one of only two US dates before they head to South America. Two days ago, they played a double bill with Motorhead in Vegas and tonight is a one-off, no openers, no other bands (as far as I kn0w) show in Tucson.

The set from Vegas was primarily greatest hits and only lasted about an hour, so it'll be interesting to see if they pull out anything special tonight. Only one Super Collider song (Kingmaker) seems to be currently in rotation. I honestly wouldn't mind some more new songs, as weird as that sounds.

So, as always, seeing Megadeth was really cool. This was my first headlining show since probably 2003 or 2004, so it was a little strange. Second time I've seen them with Broderick, I still think he's a terrible fit. He's incredibly sloppy. Granted, he can sweep-picking and play really, really fast, but that doesn't mean shit if you're hitting bum notes. For the first time, I thought that Mustaine was playing way better than his lead guitarist. But then again, I thought Al Pitrelli was great during his short time with the band.

The setlist was also a bit weird:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2014/pima-county-fairgrounds-tucson-az-2bc3ecce.html

No opener, so it was just Megadeth, and yet...they probably only played about 65 minutes of music. Kind of a let down. Show started around 8:10 and ended at 9:20. I know this was just a warm up gig for South America, but they could have thrown a second encore into the mix at the very least. I'm pissed that they dropped Tornado of Souls for this show. DP/PWTC are certainly not equal replacements.

Overall, it was fun, Dave was cool, his vocals were kinda muddy and overly-snarled as usual. They played three video clips of movies that mention Megadeth (Silver Linings Playbook, Wayne's World 2, and one I didn't recognize about Peace Sells). Ellefson seemed like he was having a lot of fun and Dave seemed truly happy to be playing to an Arizona audience (which, by the way, was insanely huge). This thing was in an open field. They stupidly put up a gate around the concert area to limit the number of people, but it had to be at least 3,000.

When I saw them last month Dave's voice definitely sounded slightly better than usual (at least for recent years). Drover is no worse than Jimmy DeGrasso or any other play-by-numbers drummer they've had since Nick Menza.

How come no one calls out Broderick for his sloppy ass soloing? That guy mucks up transitions and end notes like no other. I remember the days when Dave was the one messing up solos, now he sounds a million times better than his lead guitarist.

EDIT: Also, that crowd is ridiculous. South America knows how concerts work.

Last edited:
DeGrasso is far more powerful and hard-hitting. Drover is soft IMO.

I don't mind Broderick, he's as good as G. Drover and Pitrelli. No one's close to Friedman though.

DeGrasso is far more powerful and hard-hitting. Drover is soft IMO.

That's true, but DeGrasso had tons of issues with tempo. He slowed everything down or sped it up constantly. Drover may be soft, but he's usually pretty consistent with his rhythms.

I don't mind Broderick, he's as good as G. Drover and Pitrelli. No one's close to Friedman though.

He's a skilled player, for sure, but he's just pretty sloppy. He improvises a lot of quick runs/sweep picking that end up landing on the wrong note. I always liked Pitrelli. He certainly did not contribute much of his own style, but he played the solos note for note with little flaw.

Back