'New' Band/Album/Song Reviews

@Mosh --what do you think about Buckethead's output since we last discussed this, last year? I'm interested in what you think; maybe not even from a music analysis perspective, but just from an artistic point of view. The Pikes Series has just hit #50; so about 25 hours worth of music, released since May 2011. I purchased Pikes #1-10 last November & have been listening to them pretty intensively since. I'm very impressed. There's the usual throw-away experimental stuff; but, seriously, I can put any of them on & I want to listen to them from start to finish. There's just something about his guitar playing, his music; I think I'd been looking for this kind of music for years, & have finally found it.

I haven't listened to him a lot since then, but I've been checking out some of the Pike albums here and there. I have to say there isn't a lot of material I really enjoy. Some of it is good but the most of it is pretty forgettable. I think if he scaled it down to one album a year, the songs would be a lot stronger.

But cool that you're enjoying it. A lot of people seem to really be enjoying these albums, it's a bummer I can't get into them more. But maybe I'm not spending enough time with them; of course when there are 50 albums to tackle, it's hard to be motivated to really dig into them. Especially when they're being released at such a rapid pace. I'm sure by the time I post this there will be 3 more out. :p

But cool that you're enjoying it. A lot of people seem to really be enjoying these albums, it's a bummer I can't get into them more. But maybe I'm not spending enough time with them; of course when there are 50 albums to tackle, it's hard to be motivated to really dig into them. Especially when they're being released at such a rapid pace. I'm sure by the time I post this there will be 3 more out. :p
To be honest with you, if you're just dipping into the Pike material, they don't really work that way very well; doesn't work that way for me anyway. I mean, they're not thematically linked songs or anything, & albums don't appear to have any overarching concept/theme; but the tone of quite a lot of his albums is sometimes linked; and, of course, some of them are just one big track & there is no songs as such.

I think the odd thing is that even Buckethead fans are quite happy saying that some of the material is excellent (their "favourite", the "best Pike yet", etc) and/or some of it is so-so. I saw this guy review Pike #49 recently, & he touches upon a few salient points...
By now, everyone must be fed up with Buckethead's relentless album releases. The Pikes series started less than three years ago and it already produced 49 pieces at an inhuman pace, with no signs of stopping. Putting out a lifetime's worth of material, times five, inevitably attracts its own issues. A huge amount of tracks are forgotten since the listener's being bombarded with a new pike almost each week, while a lot of experiments feel like leftovers that even though they share the man's signature guitar prowess and diversity, they should've best been shelved or reworked to differentiate themselves from others.

Besides this, most of these records have fallen into a certain musical trap, just because they offer either a half hour of manic shredding over some heavy background patterns, some lovely, mournful semi-acoustic tunes or weird experimenting with sound manipulation, resulting into some creepy, dark ambient stuff. There's little to no diversity on each pike itself, as Buckethead clearly wants the audience to separately absorb them as big chunks, rather than a more dynamic, cohesive journey. Consequently, they often fall flat, especially when listened to in a larger number. Of course there is that small number of efforts where he mixes things a bit, getting off auto-pilot and those show best just how good this guitar prodigy can be. Unfortunately, such highlights are harder to find in the ever increasing sea of pikes. I have to admit, I tried my best to keep the pace with him last year, yet I can't remember 80% of the songs. Probably by the time anyone reads this at least two new pikes will already be available, so, sadly, the attention will be focused on those (if any left).

Even so, there's an amazing amount of solid material found in the series alone and when Buckethead is in great shape, he churns some really awesome tunes. Much like Pearson's Square, Worms For The Garden, Twisterlend, Pikes #13, Coat Of Charms, Rise Of The Blue Lotus or insert others here, Monument Valley is another gorgeous addition to the catalog. Again a subdued affair, it could easily be the soundtrack to a visit in the desert at sunset (as evidenced on the cover) or a nostalgic remembrance of the summer days. 'Fembot', 'Lirtson Nostril' and the title track offer some awesome background rhythms for him to solo at will and he really manages to hit some heartwarming notes. On top, there are several sharp riffs, nice crescendos and sudden breaks, which along with subtle changes and variations, keep things flowing at a lovely, steady pace throughout the 30 minutes. The beautiful guitar interludes that pop up a couple of times in the first four minutes of 'Lirtson Nostril' are arguably Buckethead's most serene moments since Electric Sea.

Taken into small doses, the pikes are a lot of the time some nice, short trips that don't require a lot of time and patience to be enjoyed. Thankfully, Monument Valley ranks up high with the best ones so far, becoming the most charming from the low-key category. However, dropping so many on the internet almost every week, it's a tough task to check every one of them, so it's understandable why a lot of people have given up. Also, the weird experiments that haunt the series are most of the time some real turn-offs that should best be avoided, if one's not interested in abstract, dark ambient sounds. Trimming would be essential, yet the man doesn't care and keeps releasing music at his own will and pace for others to select what they want from the collection.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/60895/Buckethead-Monument-Valley/#comments
The amazing thing about how much he's putting out, is not just that loads of it is excellent --it's quite how quickly he's punting out stuff which is also pretty well produced. He's basically putting out well produced, well written music every couple of weeks; and it's a small albums worth, not just a track. It's certainly different.

To be honest with you, if you're just dipping into the Pike material, they don't really work that way very well; doesn't work that way for me anyway. I mean, they're not thematically linked songs or anything, & albums don't appear to have any overarching concept/theme; but the tone of quite a lot of his albums is sometimes linked; and, of course, some of them are just one big track & there is no songs as such.
Well that makes sense, but that's part of the problem. There's a lot of music there and really I haven't heard anything that makes me want to fully dive into the Pikes albums.

But this conversation is making me curious, so I put on the first Pikes album just now and I'll go from there.

The amazing thing about how much he's putting out, is not just that loads of it is excellent --it's quite how quickly he's punting out stuff which is also pretty well produced. He's basically putting out well produced, well written music every couple of weeks; and it's a small albums worth, not just a track. It's certainly different.
True, it does sound pretty good in that sense. They at least don't sound low effort, which is what I'd expect from a project like this.

I just finished listening to Holy Fire, a 2013 album by British indie rock band Foals.

My discovery of the band came from FIFA 14, a remix of one of the songs from this LP was featured on the game's soundtrack. Although the remix sounds nothing like the original except for the vocals, the original sound did intrigue me. The band's sound is very guitar based and they use guitar effects extensively. There's a huge usage of reverb on this album, it's far from being dry. I really liked the flow of the album and the band's sound. It's like a mix of indie rock, funk and new wave. There are some very groovy rhythms on there and also some very calm moments. Synthesizers are used to create a nice atmosphere. I hear a bit of art rock in some of the songs. The first half of the LP is very very good, unfortunately the second half sounds a bit dull. The band sound passionate and the dullness of the second half comes from a bit of inexperience I think, trying to write atmospheric calm songs with layers. They have some ways to go with texture in calmer songs, but for some good ol' dance-rock, they do have some chops. I'd give the album 3,5 out of 5.

Here's my favorite song from the album, which was the song that got me intrigued to check out the full album, My Number.

Back