Guitar tone question (Dickinson solo stuff related)

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Maybe someone can help with the following?:

There is a particular type of guitar tone that can be heard on various Bruce Dickinson solo albums, and I would like to try and recreate this sound as close as I can get to the sound from the recordings. I have plenty of high quality gear, and apart from different tube amps I have the Kemper Profiler. So maybe there's even a link for a Kemper preset or tone print to download?

On Shadow Of The Gods it kicks in right at 5:45, and especially for the rhythm guitar it feels like a nice throwback to 1998 IMO. The same type of guitar tone for example can be heard in Jerusalem between 4:22 and 4:31 (and all throughout the CW album of course).

It's definitely not a fully torn up Marshall, it is something completely different. But what is this tone build on & made of? It's obviously very middy, and it's not much overdriven or even high gain distorted. It is full of warmth, and if I'm notmistaken there is a little Phaser in it. You'll know immediately what I mean when you check those sections out.

So, what ingredients needed to build that guitar tone?

Somebody out there to help? Maybe @matic22 who usually has great advice in terms of guitars and gear?

Thanks so much,

D. Brucinson

Maybe someone can help with the following?:

There is a particular type of guitar tone that can be heard on various Bruce Dickinson solo albums, and I would like to try and recreate this sound as close as I can get to the sound from the recordings. I have plenty of high quality gear, and apart from different tube amps I have the Kemper Profiler. So maybe there's even a link for a Kemper preset or tone print to download?

On Shadow Of The Gods it kicks in right at 5:45, and especially for the rhythm guitar it feels like a nice throwback to 1998 IMO. The same type of guitar tone for example can be heard in Jerusalem between 4:22 and 4:31 (and all throughout the CW album of course).

It's definitely not a fully torn up Marshall, it is something completely different. But what is this tone build on & made of? It's obviously very middy, and it's not much overdriven or even high gain distorted. It is full of warmth, and if I'm notmistaken there is a little Phaser in it. You'll know immediately what I mean when you check those sections out.

So, what ingredients needed to build that guitar tone?

Somebody out there to help? Maybe @matic22 who usually has great advice in terms of guitars and gear?

Thanks so much,

D. Brucinson
Roy said that he used some plug-ins on the new album, that were used on TCW. Sadly, he didn't disclose which.

On tour, Naslund and Chris are using Fractals (FM9s). Sadly, there is no further info.

Are you talking about the flanged guitars that happen on Chemical Wedding/The Alchemist etc?

I’m not a gear head or have any insight beyond my untrained ears, but I have always heard a combination of a dry signal with some amp distortion and a second clean signal panned to the opposite side with all the effects giving it a really wide sound while allowing the guitar to retain its clarity and attack.

Are you talking about the flanged guitars that happen on Chemical Wedding/The Alchemist etc?

I’m not a gear head or have any insight beyond my untrained ears, but I have always heard a combination of a dry signal with some amp distortion and a second clean signal panned to the opposite side with all the effects giving it a really wide sound while allowing the guitar to retain its clarity and attack.
Normally I take the second clean signal and use it for re-amping, then mix both signals (or more) together. No, not the flanged sounds. Check out Shadows Of The Gods at 5 mins 45 sec if you may, that's what I'm trying to go for.

Back