Bruce Dickinson

Martin Popoff full review
One of the songs was compared in some way to Freak... oh no.

A lot of playing with the sounds and Bruce's most universal album. Nice. Bruce said it's an album for grown up metalheads.
Album of the year for this guy (so far). Bruce's vocals are some of his best!
Praise for Many Doors and Resurrection Men (lots of tempo changes, brilliant, not long enough!), Wounds was kind of compare to Man Of Sorrows, Eternity Has Failed is more enjoying, Mistress was compared with The Tower (a bit) and could have been a Samson song(!), Face In The Mirror was compared to Man Of Sorrows and Taking The Queen (but it's his least favorite song with not so good chorus), Shadow Of The Gods is mini prog, Sonata has great guitar tone and is another highlight for him.

Here's one of the last reviews (UK, 5/5) and interviews, probably, although I guess Bruce can do more promo in the last week before the release (Roy and Bruce are good):

A top-class heavy/hard rock record, 'The Mandrake Project' allows Bruce Dickinson to move a little further away from the Iron Maiden sound.

The melancholy atmosphere is immediately gripping, rediscovering the spirit that made 'The Chemical Wedding' so strong. 'Shadow Of The Gods' and 'Sonata (Immortal Beloved)' are two superb, convoluted pieces, full of emotion. Bruce takes on the role of storyteller, singing in the poised manner of an actor. There's an ethereal quality to the music, underpinned by melodic, rousing solos that are full of feeling.
Beyond the dark aspects, there's a theatrical edge. 'Afterglow Of Ragnarok', 'Many Doors To Hell', 'Rain Of The Graves' and 'Eternity Has Failed' are direct and catchy. Bruce Dickinson doesn't force his voice and this hard rock register. The keyboards take pride of place, the choruses are simple and effective and the epic side is very much present, while Roy Z delights with his touch on some pleasing virtuoso solos.
The melodic side is even stronger on 'Fingers In The Wounds' and 'Face In The Mirror', where acoustic and piano work wonders. Bruce excels in this melancholy ballad register. The choruses are splendid, as are the chilling melodies.
With 'The Mandrake Project', Bruce has produced a fine work worthy of the greatest moments of his solo career. Backed up by Roy Z, he cleverly moves away from the Iron Maiden sound to produce a cinematic Heavy/Hard Rock that's colourful and deliciously catchy

Curious bits from the interview (from last week):

Roy co-wrote 50% of the songs. He inspires Bruce and vice versa and they work so well together. A very special musician and brother, according to Bruce.

He can do an album will Roy pretty quickly.

He loves the comic and it's exciting for him because it's a great (and important) challenge.

He wanted to provoke curiosity with the titles and lyrics.

Lovely surprises on the album.

The theatrical vibe of the album is best felt in Wounds, Rain, Shadow and Sonata.

Sonata: ''Several years later, we'd just finished 'The Chemical Weeding' and we were talking about doing something else - I don't think I was back in Maiden yet - it must have been in 1999, he passed me the track, asked me what I thought of it and indeed, it was different: It wasn't heavy, it wasn't fast like we were used to... But honestly, I didn't know how to sing on it''.

Sonata wasn't heavy enough for Bruce, but then again, this whole album is more heavy rock.

Wounds is the shortest song on the album, and that surprises Bruce the most. His goal was not to have less progressive songs than with Maiden.

He loves Navigate The Seas Of The Sun from TOS.

He thinks theatrical vibe is one of his trademarks.

Shadow Of The Gods evokes TCW.

He thinks Many Doors is a great song.

He is fulfilled with this album.

Steve is more open to new ideas now.

Back