Maiden settles the Hallowed Be Thy Name claim in full

Asshole. I don't think how anyone can justify him. He's in for the personal vendetta and that obviously shows.

Like... that's what I don't get here: why only Maiden? What about other major names in the music industry which are much more frequent and explicitly plagiarising minor artists? So they don't deserve to be brought to trial only because they might not be as big as Iron Maiden?

Here's the thing...maybe I'm old, but:

• Zeppelin have been sued by over half a dozen bands and had to change several of their writing credits - their plagiarism is legendary
  • The Beatles were sued by Chuck Berry. Paul McCartney famously said in Guitar Player in 1990 that 'A good artist borrows, a great artist steals'.
  • The Rolling Stones were found by a Court to have directly lifted two Robert Johnson songs
  • Johnny Cash was sued by Gordon Jenkins for 'Folsom Prison Blues'
  • Guns and Roses have been accused of plagiarism from an obscure (sound familiar) band Australian Crawling Sweet Child O' Mine
  • Black Sabbath was accused of ripping off the riff of Paranoid from a band called half life.
  • Metallica is now involved in litigation from an obscure 80s metal band Incubus for Moth into Flame. They were also accused of ripping off Sanitarium from an 70s obscure rock band called bleak house.
  • Deep Purple's Black Night is a direct lifting of an old 60s song (don't remember, but it can be googled).
  • ZZ Top got sued by co-writer for improper credits.
Those are just examples off the top of my head from some of the biggest names in rock.

Not saying that this means that our heroes are unscathed or faultless, or that Harris/Smallwood weren't transparent (or smart) enough to cover their asses...it just means that Maiden joins nearly every other notable rock band with a plagiarism controversy, hence the reason why I'm not really that worked up about it...and hence why I mentioned derivative and incestuous.

And I think Avenged sevenfold's Hail to the King is more egregious than any of these for the sheer fact that they did everything in their power to make The Black album part 2.

Last edited:
Maiden does not come well out if this --> some people out here do not like that, they can't accept the facts --> some of these people react unsympathically --> It obviously shows.

And I think Avenged sevenfold's Hail to the King is more egregious than any of these for the sheer fact that they did everything in their to power to make The Black album part 2.
Absolutely. There's one song with exactly the same riff as 'Sad But True'. In fact it's so similar I know someone who instinctively started singing the lyrics to 'Sad But True' at an Avenged Sevenfold concert when they played their song. Rob Flynn wrote a blog post about all the different songs they ripped off on that album.

OK. At present, apparently, some information is sub-judice, and some is not; so considering how vehemently many of you have insulted Barry McKay, I want to put the record straight and get everyone reading from the same hymnbook.
I've been informed that Barry is representing two ex. members of Iron Maiden, absolutely free of charge, and will even cover any costs should they be awarded against them. Donations will be made to a Newcastle children's cancer charity out of any damages they receive rather than go to Barry.
History: While he was managing Lindisfarne, Barry recovered full ownership of all their, and Alan Hull's publishing rights from a dishonest publisher. It made Barry no money, but very happy.
He has made something of a crusade out of taking on the big guys (and winning); for example, he took on EMI on behalf of a musician one time, and not only was judgement in his favour, but it actually created positive new case law for recording artists. He is 100% pro. artists and was not happy having to go against Steve Harris, but intimidation simply strengthens his resolve. If Steve has his name on songs written, or co-written by others, then it is only a matter of time before the truth comes out.
OK, I know I am banging the drum for Barry (I am a drummer of course) but I was distressed by the vicious attacks on his character, simply because he won a legal battle against Rod Smallwood et al. It could just as easily have been (and probably has been) the other way round, with Rod protecting the rights of one of his clients; then, of course, he would be the conquering hero. Swings and roundabouts Folks.

Thank you for your insightful statement. I will take your word for it if you say that McKay did not get any money for this and that it was not his intention, and I take back my statements about this. But I will say as much as that the statements that I have read have not really encouraged me to take his side. I'm not willing to champion the cause of a person whom I don't know and who hasn't asked me to do so, and I'm not willing to start to hate my favourite artist as is sadly so common in the world of show business. I've known about Life's Shadow since 2006, and it has not changed my appreciation for Maiden, and just because some lawyers are now involved will not do so either.

When you look at how the whole Samson's Thunderburst verses Maiden's The Ides of March credits issue was handled, it was clear even then that Rod Smallwood is not shy on exercising superior muscle when he can get away with it.

Thunderburst shares credits with Harris and Thunderstick, but Ides of March only Harris

So in Rods world:

Thunderburst = Ides of March

But Ides of March does not equal Thunderburst

Surely, if A=B, then B=A

I am not bashing Rod or Maiden, but years ago when I found out about this I thought it to be clearly unfair and unnecessary. I still do.

But business (money) is business (money), and money talks when you are powerful enough to exercise that power.

The old saying "What goes around comes around" springs to mind.

Metallica is now involved in litigation from an obscure 80s metal band Incubus for Moth into Flame. They were also accused of ripping off Sanitarium from an 70s obscure rock band called bleak house.
As far as I am aware legal action is not taking place and no official statements have been made about it. The MetClub forums would be in chaos if this was the case.

I wonder if all this will cause Dave to start smiling upside-down.

And I also wonder what it was that pissed Mr. McKay off so much. Could he have been the guy Nicko yelled at during the whole Mission From 'Arry thing, became a legal agent person, and is now going to fuck 'em up for that?

I am not bashing Rod or Maiden, but years ago when I found out about this I thought it to be clearly unfair and unnecessary. I still do.

Thunderburst has a little intro bit that isn't on The Ides of March, I'd be pretty sure that's why Samson have any credit at all for Thunderburst. Samson aren't credit on The Ides of March because they didn't write any of it.

Back