Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setlist complainers... You'll be lost, and you'll be sorry when they're gone. I'm grateful for every opportunity I've had to see Maiden live. Every time can be the last one now.
In general, I agree with this statement.

And how many bands of this vintage play so much (really good) new music on their tours? You get plenty of variety and new music.
When I was leaving the Toronto gig, I did what I usually do and talked to some people. One guy said, "Well, I wish they'd play more classics." I asked him if he liked Blood Brothers, and he goes, "Yeah, it's really fun." So I said, "Well, if they never played new stuff, none of it would become classics."

I got to see The Book of Souls 6 times - each time it was amazing. They might never play it again. I'm pleased.

The Brave New World album is in a unique position. They've kept songs from it in the setlist frequently enough that it has reached classic status. Other reunion albums probably aren't going to get to the same level because they're played so rarely.

I just find it interesting that for the Somewhere Back In Time and Maiden England tours, the only REALLY SUPER amazing surprises were Rime, Moonchild, and Seventh Son. Everything else had been done at least once since Bruce and Adrian reunited with the band.

Neither The Prisoner nor Afraid to Shoot Strangers had been played live by the current line-up until 2012...

A sprinkling of crowd pleasers/classics is expected. What would be less fun IMO would be a full setlist of them. Please let any greatest hits deal be a very good mixture of stuff from throughout their discography, not a Yay! I've Ticked Off Maiden's Big 12!

Were those songs really surprising on those tours though?
To be fair, had they casually thrown those songs into a "normal" tour, it would've been a huge surprise. The themed tours makes it easy to take some of those deep cuts for granted. I doubt anyone expected Seventh Son to be played again before history tours became a thing.

On the hardcore fans, I don't think this is true. There is no basis for that.
Actually there is. 2012 Maiden brought Afraid To Shoot Strangers back for the first time since 1998, people still complain on this forum about the absence of Infinite Dreams.

Nonetheless, that could have happened also, without having ATSS (or any other "rare" song) reappearing in the setlist. At least, people have been complaining for decades that Infinite Dreams song does not return. And rightfully so.

I don't think so. They might be fueled by audience reaction, but it's not the only thing. They like playing Wrathchild and FOTD. They enjoy it.
And it easy to play these songs. They are in their system. They enjoy that too, rather than sweating on relearning material.

There's no disputing that laziness is a factor, probably the main factor. But there are other factors involved that encourage the lack of motivation to learn new material.

It is somewhat funny that we are discussing laziness when since the reunion they have been playing songs that by the mid 90s we thought we would never listen again live.

Could they be more adventurous with the setlists? Of course they could, but I'd rather have what we have been getting since 1999 than the run-of-the-mill setlists from the 90s, with some new songs, a few songs off previous albums and the always the same oldies.

It is somewhat funny that we are discussing laziness when since the reunion they have been playing songs that by the mid 90s we thought we would never listen again live.
I'm definitely not complaining, but they've pretty much admitted this. There's a recent interview with Nicko where he says he'll suggest doing a song they've never played live and someone will respond that they don't want to relearn it.

Neither The Prisoner nor Afraid to Shoot Strangers had been played live by the current line-up until 2012...
Oops, I stand corrected.
A sprinkling of crowd pleasers/classics is expected. What would be less fun IMO would be a full setlist of them. Please let any greatest hits deal be a very good mixture of stuff from throughout their discography, not a Yay! I've Ticked Off Maiden's Big 12!
I can't picture Maiden doing all overplayed classics. In fact, I don't think they've ever done a tour quite like that.

I was surprised when they played the intro for moonchild back in 2008, sounded better than the original. Just sayin'.

And Dance of Death in 2011, beautiful.

Flight of Icarus and of course the SIT songs were the main ones... The surprise was The Trooper wasn't played. It was the last time Rime of the Ancient Mariner was played until 2008 - 2009.... Only played 3 tours.... only reason it was played in 86-87 was because they failed to get Alexander the Great together for the set list. It was the first time in all of their albums up to that point that the closing song wasn't played. Seventh Son followed suit with Only the Good Die Young

Paschendale was dropped for Dance of Death, right? No problem with that, as DoD is a better song and goes over better live. Was great to get them both on the 2003 tour, but if I had to choose one, it's DoD. That was probably the highlight of the 2011 tour to me, along with WtWWB.

I missed the DOD tour and they did not add Paschendale until the Texas shows after I saw them in Florida during TFF tour. I was pissed... Paschendale was the best song I think they've done since the reunion... To me, it's like missing Caught Somewhere in Time but I wasn't alive then so......

I'm definitely not complaining, but they've pretty much admitted this. There's a recent interview with Nicko where he says he'll suggest doing a song they've never played live and someone will respond that they don't want to relearn it.
Do you have a link to the interview? Thanks in advance.

I think the interview is the one where Nicko said he thought it would have been cool to do songs they haven't done live, and Dave responded "but we would have to relearn all those songs then".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back