Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

Can't really call it an 'annoyance' but kinda wish Adrian (and Dave to a lesser extent) would move around onstage a little more. At least Dave smiles and looks like he's enjoying himself at times. Adrian...stands still and stone-faced most of the time. Gawd, dude, I'd give my left nut to do what you do for a living...look alive, mate!

Everyone else in Iron Maiden is a huge showman (except maybe Davey, who is just happy to be there). Adrian is a musician first, a songwriter second, and a performer last. I'm sure he loves performing music, but he's definitely never going to be into the show aspect of the show.

Oh no, he definitely looks like he's having a ball here

8915670928_f8c4776006_b.jpg

#dicksoutforharambe #ballsoutforh

Personally, Smith has the best stage presence of all three. He's 105% into the sound coming out from his instrument and doesn't give a fuck about anything else. He is also the best rhythm guitarist in Maiden (even more so after the return), and playing precise metal rhythm guitar isn't compatible with jumping around.

Personally, Smith has the best stage presence of all three.

Agreed. When I was getting into Maiden, I was also getting into playing music and it was always Adrian's behaviour on stage that I tried to copy.

Personally, Smith has the best stage presence of all three. He's 105% into the sound coming out from his instrument and doesn't give a fuck about anything else. He is also the best rhythm guitarist in Maiden (even more so after the return), and playing precise metal rhythm guitar isn't compatible with jumping around.
But his live sound has come in for quite a bit of criticism. Is his tone, for example, that superior to Dave & Janick's? I'd say no.
Agreed. When I was getting into Maiden, I was also getting into playing music and it was always Adrian's behaviour on stage that I tried to copy.
Looking all stiff & uncomfortable?

Adrian's inventory of stage moves has actually increased since the 80s. He does the occasional bunny hop, the side to side sway, and his "guitar solo orgasm" face has gotten more pronounced

b71fac5fe45855b297bbf28dfd4dbce0.jpg

imgres

Last edited:
But his live sound has come in for quite a bit of criticism. Is his tone, for example, that superior to Dave & Janick's? I'd say no.

Looking all stiff & uncomfortable?

His live sound has been criticized because he actually changes his setup and goes for different things. Dave and Janick play same gear with same style with same sound for ages.

His live sound has been criticized because he actually changes his setup and goes for different things. Dave and Janick play same gear with same style with same sound for ages.
Afaik the only thing that Dave has changed in the last 17 years gear-wise live is the JFX's with G Forces, added a Tube Screamer and Uni-Vibe (the Fulltone DejaVibe) and switched from the EL-34 power amps to JCM 2000's as power amps (basicly the same thing).

Janick has gone through more guitar techs that gear changes. :D

Both have to do with Bruce's voice.

1. The fact that some songs are written in a key that is clearly too high for Bruce nowadays. Like TRATB. Great song but needs to be taken down a tone. Plus, why the heck did they put Aces High in the ME encore?!!!! It did his voice no favours on that tour. Listen to 2014 for example

2. More Blaze and Dianno songs in the setlist would give him a break night after night. Songs like Remember Tomorrow and Futureal would allow him to sing in a lower register and save his voice.

I love Bruce and I think he still sounds incredible on most songs night after night but they need to be smarter with their song choices to give him a break!

Back