Classic albums and famous bands you don't like

Worst of Teutonic Big 4, and it's not even close. Even Tankard wipes the floor with them.

Eh, Destruction had a strong comeback with All Hell Breaks Loose and the thrash masterpiece The Antichrist. After that though they've been putting out the same brand of thrash metal just with a different name. I did like 2007's Thrash Anthems though. Tankard comes off as a band that is not supposed to be taken seriously, at all. Ever. Which makes it kind of hard to criticize them. I think some of their lyrics are hilarious and a lot of the guitar work on their first few alums I enjoyed a lot.

EDIT: Yeah I hope to post here more now that I have some free time.

USA didn't do too well with metal, the British factory edge was lost on them. Much better with other genres, like Jazz.

That's what I like about heavy metal, you have so many interpretations of the genre and each countries output adds more to the catalog of (mostly) fantastic music. As far as the crop of NWOBHM influenced heavy metal music that came from America goes, Crystal Logic by Manilla Road perfectly captures what made the movement special. Songs like "Feeling Free Again"and "Necropolis" have some pop flares that give the album a tinge of accessibility, while not losing much of the "underground" sound Manilla Road tries so hard to preserve. On the flip side, a song like "The Veils of Negative Existence" captures that proto-doom metal feel bands like Black Sabbath or Pentagram were doing ten years earlier. "Dreams of Eschaton/Epilogue" is so prog rock influenced it wouldn't out of place on an album like A Farewell to Kings. Crystal Logic is a mixed bag (not in a bad way), much like the entire NWOBHM movement.

For reference, Crystal Logic was released in 1983. Now, on the other end of the spectrum... Creatures of the Night by KISS (released in 1982) is one of the most god-awful, pathetic cash-ins I have EVER seen KISS make. Let that statement sink in. Hot off the prog rock epic masterpiece Music From "The Elder", (you should be ashamed to call yourself a prog rock fan if you don't have this success in your collection) KISS was in a musical dilemma. They couldn't just release the same album every year any more. Those days were over. The KISS name was becoming a joke (if it wasn't already is was now) and KISS needed to act fast. KISS decided to cash in on whatever musical scene was getting the most attention at the time (unfortunately it wasn't disco). I can only imagine what they were thinking when they recorded this album: "We need gallops! We need a murky production and songs about killing people! Before long, they won't be able to tell us apart from those Iron Maiden clowns!". Creatures of the Night is a horrible cash-in on an otherwise decent movement. If you need to listen to this album, I'm not gonna be the one to stop you. Aside from it being flat, emotionless and devoid of any musical sense... Some songs do benefit from from having a catchy chorus or a nice bass line.

Now there is a difference between cashing in on something and adapting. Some bands are so good and have their music down to a formula that could release the same album every year and still sell and still sound good (damn you Motörhead). Let's face it, if you're gonna be a successful heavy metal band, your going to have to have a sound that progresses from album to album. Motörhead has been releasing the same album for awhile now, but even their sound changes slightly with each release. Does Another Perfect Day sound exactly like Iron Fist? Not all that much, Another Perfect Day is more of a refined effort. It's more polished. But back on to the topic of adapting your sound, two albums come to mind when I think of band's adapting to the times. Judas Priest's 1990 effort Painkiller and Overkill's 2010 success Ironbound. Since Painkiller and its influences are already fairly well known I'll mainly stick to talking about Ironbound. Being a thrash metal band in the 21st century is a piece of cake. Being a thrash metal band that is still offering substantial thrash that brings something new to the table is a tad harder. Since 2000's Bloodletting was so good and was marketed as Overkill's return to tr00 thrash metal (spoiler: there was still groove metal present), Overkill did not feel it was necessary to evolve their sound as much as their previous effort's did. Overkill's Ironbound changed that. Here we find a Overkill that yearns to out-class their peers and prove they go neck-in-neck with metal's more "contemporary" sub-genres (Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, Deathcore, Groove Metal). That's adapting. Cashing in on something is when you want to make a quick buck or two on gimmicks and fluff.

Last edited:
I don't really like Black Sabbath. There's really only 4 songs I like. Those being, War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man and Heaven and Hell.

Last edited:
Dear @JudasMyGuide - absolutely aces on your first three opinions. I don't understand those bands at all. My buddy just made me listen to Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss and, although I don't particularly like any of them, I found Reign in Blood to be sloppy, noisy, and poorly performed.

Yeah, one bloke from Metal Archives has summed it up nicely in his review: "It's certainly not a bad album, and one every metalhead should own, but it's far from worthy of all the praise it gets. Yup, it's fast, but it's fast for the sake of being fast. Just because you can (and they really can't; this is one of the sloppiest albums I've ever heard) doesn't mean you should. Besides, Dark Angel and Kruiz are faster."

I can't agree. Reign in Blood isn't about speed. It's about being aggressively in-your-face. Speed is one of the tools used for that, but not the only one - riffs, song structures, Tom Araya and loudness are just as important. Moreover, I can't agree when you guys say it sounds sloppy. It's the exact opposite to me. It's powerfully written and tightly performed, especially considering the extreme situation the material puts the musicians into.

I don't like Metallica. I can tolerate Kill, Ride and Master, but I don't really enjoy listening to anything from them. I think that Mustaine and Burton are the only two musically interesting members ever to have played in the band.
Priest is my favourite, but I don't like British Steel. The song-writing is too straight-forward. Too easy.
From Iron Maiden, I really don't understand why Seventh Son is so popular. It has one or two truly proggressive songs (Infinite Dreams, Prophecy, the latter half of the title track), but the hideously happy Can I Play with Madness has simply nothing to do with metal.
But then again I am an idiot. Maybe one day I'll see the light and join the masses. Or black masses...

Usually when I see old threads bumped like this, I find myself disagreeing with things I had to say years ago.

This thread seems to be an exception, Reign in Blood and Slayer overall grew on me, but everything else I continue to dislike.

In addition to what I said about Sabbath a few years ago.. I don't really like Motörhead either. I was never really big on them. I can say the same thing about Judas Priest too. Other then most of the hits and the entire Painkiller album everything else is just kind of boring and meh.

I like Priest, but I agree with Motörhead. Ace of Spades, Love Me Like A Reptile, (We Are) The Road Crew, and a few others are cool, but otherwise they're pretty overrated. Black Sabbath, by the way, does not deserve to top every fucking metal list. The first album is amazing, Paranoid is pretty great, but the rest are either hit or miss.

And now for some Maiden - the debut is overrated. Prowler, Running Free, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, and Iron Maiden are great, but Remember Tomorrow, Strange World, and Charlotte the Harlot trip it up. Big time. Sanctuary is alright though so... the hits are more than the misses, but the misses are big misses.

Ac/dc, neil young, bob dylan, tom petty, Iced earth, volbeat, avenged sevenfold...I'm sure there's more artist/bands I find very bad/very overrated. Don't like music with poor vocals. Rush and King diamond have overrated vocals to

Volbeat is boring and soft, I say they're European Nickelback. Avenged Sevenfold is just boring, but once you remove the makeup music is kind of OK. Both bands have a good song or two and the rest is passable.

I don't like Metallica's Black album, at all. It's 3rd worst for me, above Reload and the one whose name shall not be mentioned.

MACBETH

King diamond have overrated vocals to
You try singing it then. :p

Seriously though, I can see how they'd be found annoying, but from the beginning I've always been impressed with his vocal range. That falsetto is godly.

Black Sabbath, by the way, does not deserve to top every fucking metal list. The first album is amazing, Paranoid is pretty great, but the rest are either hit or miss.

I agree with this about the Ozzy albums. Except Paranoid, they are ludicrously hit and miss. Heaven and Hell (and to a lesser extent Mob Rules) are absolutely incredible metal albums.

Ac/dc, neil young, bob dylan, tom petty, Iced earth, volbeat, avenged sevenfold...I'm sure there's more artist/bands I find very bad/very overrated. Don't like music with poor vocals. Rush and King diamond have overrated vocals to

I've never really heard people "overrate" Rush's vocals. Usually it's something like, "I LOVE RUSH THEY'RE AMAZING MUSICIANS AND THEIR SONGS RULE! And the singing's fine, I guess..."

I didn't mean that Geddy Lee and King Diamond are bad vocalists, they surely know how to sing, it's just they are not my thing.

Oh, I've never been a fan of Death magnetic of Metallica. It's an average album IMO, some good ideas here and there but otherwise a dissapointing album.

Anyone think the title track to Hardwired from Metallica flat-out sucks? I do. Lots of people have said it's a throwback to classic Metallica, but I don't see it. Atlas Rise and Moth Into Flame are better, but still nothing special. Planning on listening to the rest of the album soon, but so far, not impressed.

Back