NOW WATCHING

vMnychO.jpg

Saw Annabelle Creation. MUCH better than the first Annabelle film. A worthy addition to the Conjuring film series. Next year will be the prequel to the whole series...The Nun (she was first introduced in The Conjuring 2)

Anybody else still watching The Strain?

Zach is by far the worst kid on television ever, and now he's slowly but surely approaching the worst human being ever. His actions probably killed more people than Hitler did. It really says something that a 13-year-old kid is less sympathetic than a genocidal Nazi vampire (Eichorst)...

Watched this new Death Note movie from Netflix. Never saw the anime or anything related to it, so can't compare.

Pretty bad. Plot sucked. Characters sucked. Acting was OK with what the actors had to work with. It's a shame because it's awesome visually and the music is pretty good too. Might check out the anime stuff though, because the premise is cool.

Can't say for the other adaptations, but both the original manga and the anime are really awesome. There is some really unexpected progress (i.e. untrivial twists) and a lot of interesting thoughts. It is a bit overcomplicated in general, though - not everyone might appreciate that. But I'd definitely give it a chance.

You already noted it was a manga/anime, this should be assumed.
I'm here to say that certain animes, one of them Death Note, are actually amazing shows. Not kidding. It's an amazing study on what human beings can become when given too much power.

Go watch it and then criticize it. :innocent:

I'm not criticizing Death Note, which was a really neat show. I'm criticizing the genre, which tends to lend itself to overly complicated storytelling and explains why only a bare handful of Japanese artists have become famous outside of their comfort zone in the post-war era, despite the fact that Japan has literally become a culture producing monster in that period. Kurosawa, Miyazaki, and Murakami are some of the only artists that have gone "mainstream". Some people love anime/mange - but it's not easily accessible due to its frequent complexities.

After re-watching Inglourious Basterds yesterday (and loving every monent), we just rewatched Grindhouse. Well, "re-watched" - I'd seen that movie once, spliced, ten years ago and my wife has never seen it at all, but you know what I mean.
To have the complete experience, we watched the "double" version (with the trailers and so) but in the end we switched for the "single" Death Proof release, to have the "uncut" version. And man, ten years on, I still love it. Yeah, Planet Terror is silly, nonsensical, exploitative, disgusting and overall weird and it could probably never stand on its own. But - and I know I once again speak against the popular vote, because most people seem to hate it - Death Proof is utterly awesome. I feel as if I could've watched the movie again and again, because it's just put together in such a wonderful way... I don't know whether it's truly my favourite Tarantino work, but I guess it'd at least definitely fight for the spot with the last two. Probably one of the most underrated movies of the 00's so far, along with Children of Men. Well, at least out of the films I've seen so far.

P.S. - Zoe Bell. Man, what a woman. When she - hee-hawing - straddles the car door, something just moves inside of you. Ten years ago, I went in for Rosario Dawson and left enamoured by Bell and nowadays it's pretty much the same. Yeah, I'm married. Shut up.

Me and my girlfriend just watched 'A Serbian Film'... think she may be scarred for life and I regret actually watching it in full; the only film I wish I could un-see

It's embarrassing that they called that abomination "A Serbian Film". Fucking idiots. (Never saw it, just read the Wikipedia synopsis.)

Back