Official MLB baseball thread.

Every time the Cubs dip into the bullpen I get nervous - the same feeling I had whenever ex-closer Carlos Marmol entered the game (remember him?)

I think LA is keeping some of those top players on the "DL" (wink wink) to rest them for the postseason.

True, if they were in a division race, some of these guys might not be on the DL ... but I somewhat question that strategy. Going to a 6 man rotation and skipping a start here and there/putting a low pitch count, especially after Sept 1 with the expanded rosters, sure .. but there is a risk one (or more) of these guys gets out of their groove.

The Dodgers have been great this season, but Kershew is still the biggest key for them in the postseason. They need to have him healthy and pitching like, well, Clayton Kershaw. Historically he hasn't been great in the playoffs, that has to change if they want to go all the way.

I would love to see another Cubs - Dodgers NLCS. The Cubs starting pitching has been vastly better in the 2nd half, and in the playoffs, I think a Lester - Arrieta - Quintana - Hendricks/Lackey rotation stacks up pretty well against just about anybody.

The Dodgers have been great this season, but Kershew is still the biggest key for them in the postseason. They need to have him healthy and pitching like, well, Clayton Kershaw. Historically he hasn't been great in the playoffs, that has to change if they want to go all the way.

I would love to see another Cubs - Dodgers NLCS. The Cubs starting pitching has been vastly better in the 2nd half, and in the playoffs, I think a Lester - Arrieta - Quintana - Hendricks/Lackey rotation stacks up pretty well against just about everybody.

That is actually a decent question .. which one goes to the pen in the playoffs .... I am assuming Lackey, I know he has said he does not want to pitch in the pen, but I think he made a "unless it is the post season" qualifier. It will not be a deal like last year when the 5th starter (Hammels) was left off the post season roster.

There is still time left, but at least one (ideally 2) of Stroop/Rondon/Wilson need to get trustworthy again. Ideally Wilson will be one of them being LH

I'll add this, if the Dodgers do not win it, they will take the 2001 Mariners off the hook as the best regular season team and most disappointing playoffs.

That is actually a decent question .. which one goes to the pen in the playoffs .... I am assuming Lackey, I know he has said he does not want to pitch in the pen, but I think he made a "unless it is the post season" qualifier. It will not be a deal like last year when the 5th starter (Hammels) was left off the post season roster.
Lackey would make the most sense to be the one to be left off, but he's actually been pretty solid his last 8 or so starts. Hendricks appears to still be trying to figure things out since coming back from the DL. Plus with all his veteran experience, I wouldn't be stunned if Lackey made the playoff rotation.

As for putting the left out starter in the bullpen, I don't know if that's a guarantee. I'm assuming Mike Montgomery will be in the pen, and he can obviously go multiple innings if needed. I guess it all depends on how many position players they will carry, and if they'd rather have a guy like Tommy La Stella, or an extra arm out of the pen.

Problem is if he cannot trust the pen, they will go for extra arms over the extra bat. I wouls like to see La Stella make it, he has had a nice year

I like LaStella; he's a dependable option off the bench and to make spot starts here and there. As for Hendricks or Lackey, I prefer the former in every aspect of the game, but the latter has been more solid as of late.

Edit: As I was typing this, LaStella hit a home run!

Lackey is looking good today ... I think he most likely would be in the pen, just because I think his stuff is more suited to the pen than Hendricks ... with him he could be more of a 1 inning guy versus a long reliever. Who knows.

Seeking help here guys! Going to NYC in 4 weeks and finally off to see a baseball game! Yankees V Blue Jays, last game of the regular season, any bar recommendations nearby?

So it's make or break for the Yankees and Red Sox tonight... anyone think either can pull this off? Be interesting to see how Tanaka plays tonight

I think the only competitive series is Nata v Cubs. The rest are done .. just a matter if they are done in 3 or 4 games

Cubs-Astros would be a great series but I don't think the former will get there (and I'm a Cubs fan). They don't have the pitching. I'm going to Game 3 tomorrow at Wrigley and I'm a bit on edge as it's Jose Quintana's first postseason start, and against Max Scherzer nonetheless. Yes - Kyle Hendricks (and to a lesser extent Jon Lester) pitched outstanding in the first two games - but the bullpen is a mess. I also have my concerns about Jake Arrieta starting Game 4.

I wonder how Jose Altuve would match up against the Cubs. That guy is on fire.

I really wanted to see the Astros sweep the annoying Red Sox, but at least maybe the Indians can sweep the annoying Yankees. I do kinda like Aaron Judge, though.

I wonder if anyone can get past the Dodgers. They're my least favorite MLB team (along with the Yankees and Red Sox), so I'm pulling for a miraculous Diamondbacks comeback.

Back