Blaze Bayley

Yeah, I could do probably do that. What time is the show? I work on Saturday, but I get off at 1:00 pm.

Show starts at 8, which is actually when I get off work in Chicago so I probably wouldn't get there til about 9pm. He's got an opener, though, a hybrid Maiden/Priest cover band.

I highly recommend the live album As Live As It Gets. One of my favorites. Good for a quick introduction to early Blaze and probably still close to what his setlist is these days.

Just check out his most recent setlists and listen to those.
I looked up some of his recent setlists, the ones I was able to find at least, and it looks like about half the set is dedicated to his two most recent albums. The other half consists of Maiden songs, and a couple classic Blaze songs.

I'm absolutely thrilled that I will be able to see
The Clansman
Live! :rocker:

Not if you do not wish to be spoiled.
I don't mind being spoiled. I actually prefer knowing the set in advance when it's a band or performer whose material I'm not all that familiar with. It might be a different story if it was one of my favorite bands and the show was only a few days away, but if I don't know the band that well, I like knowing the set beforehand so I can at least make sure I'm familiar with the songs that definitely will be played.

For example: I'm seeing Megadeth and Scorpions a month from now. I don't plan on looking up Megadeth's set, as I'm much more familiar with them and the surprise factor will be worth it, but I do plan on looking up Scorpions set beforehand, because I'm not very familiar with their music. I also went out of my way to look up Ghost's setlist in advance of them opening for Maiden.

I don't mind being spoiled. I actually prefer knowing the set in advance when it's a band or performer whose material I'm not all that familiar with.
No one tells you to be unfamiliar with the material. Listen to his albums on YouTube. Or better: buy them.

I would recommend anyone to get the Silicon Messiah vinyl as long as it is available:
https://blazebayley.godaddysites.com/shop?olsPage=products/silicon-messiah-vinyl-0011&olsFocus=false
It was printed in 1 000 copies 2 years ago.

The only thing I thought was strange about it was that the studio version of Steel was not included as a bonus track (they used a live version from the bonus disc of Tenth Dimension instead), but that's possibly because Blaze didn't have a copy anymore, it was only a Japan bonus track:

I saw Blaze Bayley perform at the Rockpile in Toronto last week (my first time seeing him live). I was front row, slightly off to the side. It was a fun experience. Blaze's voice sounded great and his three band mates played well. It was an intense, energetic set. He played five Maiden songs (all good choices), one Wolfsbane song, and nine or ten of his compositions. I'm not too familiar with his catalogue but it was a combination of material from his latest album (good songs, for the most part) and several of his older, well-known songs.

I felt bad for him though. There couldn't have been more than 150 people in the venue (he even joked that he didn't promote the show enough, because he only wanted the best metal fans in the city). Still, he did a free autograph and photo session after the show for anyone in attendance.

It was a great night out and one of the best (non Maiden) concerts I've seen over the past few years.

Saw Blaze last night in Newport, KY. The show was at the Southgate House which an old church converted to a concert venue so it had a cool stained glass backdrop. The man himself was upfront when they opened the door meeting people and shaking hands. There was only around 40 ppl there and no opening bands. Despite the small crowd people were really into it. Blaze had an awesome stage presence and interacted with the audience a bunch. The Virus and the Wolfsbane song Man Hunt were highlights for me. There was also a guy who brought his autistic 12 old kid for his birthday and Blaze did an impromptu metal version of Happy Birthday for him and the band gave him the set list, drum sticks and guitar pics after the show. Kid was so happy he cried. Got to talk to some young guys who brought records to be signed about the vinyl represses and some older guys about Maiden concerts they've seen in the 80s. Very cool vibe from all there. Blaze did his regular free meet and greet after the show and it was cool to get a pic and shoot the shit with him for a few.

Despite the small crowd Blaze kept the energy level high. Blaze came off really humble and grateful for everyone there. Wasn't pushy with the merch at all and said "Thank you for being here. Its an honor and privilege to preform for you tonight. I'm 100% independent and This is how i pay my rent." About half the songs (esp. the Maiden songs) were sing alongs that went over well after a few beers. I'm kinda surprised I still have a voice. If your on the fence about seeing him Id encourage you to do it. Blaze is a class act and the show was just plain old fun.

I took some cellphone videos of a couple songs I can post if folks are interested.

Back