Your Maiden blasphemy

In the entire discography? That's tough. I want to say side 1 of Piece of Mind. Side 1 of Seventh Son is also very strong.

But if you want bang for your buck, it's insane how much music is crammed into side 1 of Powerslave.

Lemme go through Maiden's albums before you write me down, but I wanna say side 1 of SSOASS. It's got four great songs, all of them are some of the band's best.

That's a good thread idea.

POM vs SSOASS is too close to call for me for the battle of side 1s. They are both awesome. Interestingly enough, they are structured very similarly (frantic opener, big build up rocker, radio ready single, and big anthem).

Since people have brought up POM, I think I'd be a lot more for it were Revelations and DWYBO weren't on it. I like the songs, just compared Eagles and Icarus they drag it down slightly.

Also, I think I've changed my mind, SIT side 1 is the best side in Maiden's history. CSIT, Wasted Years, Sea of Madness, and HCW - two songs in my personal top 10 and two songs in my Top 30. I'm goin' with that one.

Since people have brought up POM, I think I'd be a lot more for it were Revelations and DWYBO weren't on it. I like the songs, just compared Eagles and Icarus they drag it down slightly.

Also, I think I've changed my mind, SIT side 1 is the best side in Maiden's history. CSIT, Wasted Years, Sea of Madness, and HCW - two songs in my personal top 10 and two songs in my Top 30. I'm goin' with that one.

The weird thing for me is that SIT is my favorite album, yet neither side 1 or side 2 would win for me in these "battle threads". I think it's just the flow of the entire album that does it for me.

I always felt that Flight of Icarus was a bit overrated. To me, it just sounds like a kinda tired re-tread of Run To The Hills. It just feels...stodgy, like it never really gathers momentum. Whereas DWYBO I really liked straight away.

I always felt that Flight of Icarus was a bit overrated. To me, it just sounds like a kinda tired re-tread of Run To The Hills. It just feels...stodgy, like it never really gathers momentum. Whereas DWYBO I really liked straight away.
Well for me, I liked both songs right away, only while Icarus has consistently climbed my rankings (currently #37 in my list), DWYBO has ended up slipping down. Still a good song though, just not a personal favorite.

I don't see any real similarity between the two to be honest, besides their endings.

This is an unpopular opinion of itself but I'd say FOI is actually underrated - and that it is the best track off of Piece Of Mind, though The Trooper gives it competition.

Well this all reminds me of another unpopular opinion of mine: Revelations is my favorite song from POM
This isn't an unpopular opinion, actually, if the Official Rankings of this site are to be believed. :p

Personally it's my third, possibly fourth least favorite from the album. Good song, but just too un-Maideny for my taste.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, actually, if the Official Rankings of this site are to be believed. :p

Personally it's my third, possibly fourth least favorite from the album. Good song, but just too un-Maideny for my taste.

Whoa, this whole forum surprises me more each day (in a good way). I've never met a Maiden fan irl who thinks Revelations is more than 'ok' in comparison to the rest of the album.

Whoa, this whole forum surprises me more each day (in a good way). I've never met a Maiden fan irl who thinks Revelations is more than 'ok' in comparison to the rest of the album.
Yeah, this place is weird AF sometimes. :D

Ooh I've one that'll curdle some peoples blood - I would rank Virtual XI higher as an album than A Matter of Life and Death.

Ooh I've one that'll curdle some peoples blood - I would rank Virtual XI higher as an album than A Matter of Life and Death.
As an album to be listened to from start to finish, I agree. Song by song, it might be a different matter (possibly).

As an album to be listened to from start to finish, I agree. Song by song, it might be a different matter (possibly).
It's higher for me as well - and the reason is mostly song by song actually. AMOLAD is stronger but has no standout tracks. Virtual XI is weaker but its standouts are awesome.

Back