Your Maiden blasphemy

Probably the most well balanced Maiden album with writing credits.
True. Even the former singer managed to get some of his material on the album (and at the same time get paid for it, unlike the Beckett guys).

What the credits should look like:
Dream of Mirrors (Bayley, Gers, Harris)
The Nomad (Murray, Harris, Beckett)

Last edited:
I think Dave has the worst guitar tone of the Three Amigos.:ninja:

I agree. Especially the bridge pickup rythm tone on the Hot Rails strats. Sounds better with the Axcess LP and the 70's Strat, both of which have JB's.

But the worst tone ever has to be H's Download 2007 tone. Thin with no balls and compressed to shit (he was using a Peavey preamp I believe with Marshall 30th anniversary heads).

Currently I agree. I loved his tone on everything before DOD, his tone was probably even my favourite. Since then his tone in the studio has sounded too warm, much warmer than before, and too clean. I did like his tone on TFF however, so that would be the exception I guess.

Dave sounds so muddy on TBOS. It might be a production issue as well, but Adrian and Janick sound much better. A real shame, because Dave's playing was great.

Yes, he should switch equipment. The rack he has been using for a while now propably kills a lot of tone (too much effects). Compare his solo tone on En Vivo to Rock In Rio...
14179846-2d0c-4039-bb20-943d1c70d8b8th.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, he should switch equipment. The rack he has been using for a while now propably kills a lot of tone (too much effects). Compare his solo tone on En Vivo to Rock In Rio...
14179846-2d0c-4039-bb20-943d1c70d8b8th.JPG

Actually he switched JFX's for G-Forces. I'm more surprised that neither H or Dave has tried an Axe Fx II Ultra yet. It is probably the cleanest multi fx unit out there and does amp sims too (if they wanted to recreate SIT tone or SSOASS tone).

I doubt this is a popular opinion, so I'm putting it here:

The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide is the best one-two punch in Maiden history, or if not the absolute best, certainly very high up there.

Aww man...

On the one hand, The Apparition does get more hate than it's worth and Judas Be My Guide is a legitimately fantastic track.

On the other hand, The Number Of The Beast / Run To The Hills is a thing (go away anyone who is about to say Powerslave / Rime Of The Ancient Mariner).

The Number Of The Beast / Run To The Hills is a thing
SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT THEM. FUCK!

This is why I said "or one of the best at least", because I knew someone would bring up a better one. ;)

Also, regarding Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, the reason I disregard them as a 'double shot' is because they both stand up so well alone that as a pair they don't fit as well as the other two mentioned.

Still, despite TNOTB and RTTH both being better than The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide, and a one-two punch, I'd almost say the latter are still better. Both are around three / four minutes long, and both fit so nicely after each other that I'd almost say they work even better together.

But dammit, now you've really gotten me thinking. ;)

The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide is the best one-two punch in Maiden history, or if not the absolute best, certainly very high up there.

Not really. For those of us of a certain age, you had to change the side of the LP2 to listen to Judas Be My Guide right after The Apparition.

Not really. For those of us of a certain age, you had to change the side of the LP2 to listen to Judas Be My Guide right after The Apparition.
Oh right, I forgot that they released the vinyl on two LPs. In that case, going by the CDs, The Apparition and Judas Be My Guide is the best double shot in Maiden history. Going by vinyl, it's The Number of the Beast / Run to the Hills.

There, now I actually feel good about making claims like that. ;)

Talking about vinyl sides: if you had to keep ONE LP side, which one would it be?
As far as I'm concerned, Live After Death side 4, without the shadow of a doubt.

Back