Steve Harris suggests second side project with Blaze

fekso

Ancient Mariner
When asked if British Lion would play any Maiden songs, Steve ruled it out, instead suggesting that he would rather start another side project playing Blaze era songs with Blaze. Although not likely according to Steve, nice to see him think of Blaze. Would you like to see something like that?

I was surprised that he said that! Still, very cool!

Would you ever consider taking some tracks that Maiden would never do, such as ‘Burning Ambition’ for example, and dropping them into the British Lion set?
No, I mean, I think it would be all too easy to do that, and maybe even songs from the Blaze years which may never see the light of day with Maiden again. People ask me that question, and yeah, on one hand, but I think, if I did that, I’d have to do a third project. I wouldn’t want to do it with this, because this is a totally different thing, and it’s more rock and roll than metal anyway, and I think those songs, if I did it, maybe I’d get Blaze or someone to do it with; I don’t know, it’s not something I particularly have the time to do, or have the inclination right now anyway! But if you’re thinking about it, I think that would be the way to go, rather than doing it with this, because this is a totally separate entity; I don’t think it really would be right to do it with this anyway.

http://www.eonmusic.co.uk/steve-harris-eonmusic-interview-august-2017.html

Wishful thinking. He says that it is not something he has the time or inclination to do, so I think it is unlikely to happen.

If I recall correctly, Steve's played bass a few times when Blaze was live, not as the bassist, but got up and joined them - it doesn't seem like their personal relationship has a lot of acrimony, which is good. Quite frankly, Steve picked Blaze for Iron Maiden for a reason. That reason is most likely that he liked the way Blaze sounded and wanted to write songs in his range. Not commenting on how it worked out, but it's nice to see him feeling Blaze out, putting him on the map again.

songs from the Blaze years which may never see the light of day with Maiden again.

That's like getting the confirmation that a loved one who's been missing for years is dead. It's bad news, but at least there's closure and no more false hopes.

Yea that's the big news here. No surprise but at least he's acknowledging it.

That's like getting the confirmation that a loved one who's been missing for years is dead. It's bad news, but at least there's closure and no more false hopes.

But looking on that from another perspective, it makes perfect sense. Maiden recorded 11 albums with Bruce and I bet that he likes to sing songs that were written for/by him better. Look at TBOS 2016 tour; the only song that wasn't originally sung by him was Iron Maiden, which is kind of obligatory. Wrathchild in 2017 was a last minute swap and it's probably the only song that band can comfortably play without much rehearsal.

Also for all of those who wanted 90's history tour, it's not gonna happen.

What he is saying is that for people who are hoping for British Lion to play Maiden-songs, it is more likely that he'll start up a second side project with Blaze as the singer. He barely has time for British Lion, having released a single album 25 years in the making. (I believe songs like A World Without Heaven and Eyes of the Young were that old.)

Back