Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

Childhood's End is awesome! Way underappreciated.

22 and Children are pretty far back, man. Children is definitely Top 10 for me, and 22 is right behind it.
Believe me, I had a really hard time placing them back there myself. In hindsight, they could probably be a bit higher, but what can I say, the boys have made a lot of great songs.

Now then, next up on our nightly update...

53. The Red and the Black
The Book of Souls (2015)
Most people seem to consider this song a "good if flawed epic", "TAATG done right", or "Rime of the Ancient Cardgame". When I first heard it, I had yet to get into Bruce's 21st century voice, and thus it ruined the song for me, though the instrumental section was a saving grace. Now that I actually enjoy his vocals on it, I no longer see it as a bad song, in any way. Sure, the vocals on top of the guitar harmonies might not be for everyone, but if you want to accuse a song of sounding bad with that, Brave New World is a better one to attack (at least, I'm pretty sure that's what they do on it... gonna have to give it another listen...). Overall, it's 13 minutes and 33 seconds of enjoyable card dealing, dice rolling, and Maiden epic-ing. On a side note, there's a book called The Red and the Black, so when I first heard of the song, I thought it'd have to do more with the book. On a side-side note, I thought the book was about war. Apparently it is not. That'd be cool. A 13:33 war epic by Iron Maiden called "The Red and the Black". Oh well. Excuse my ramblings, it's an awesome song.

52. The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Another TNOTB song that should be higher, but isn't. What first attracted me to The Prisoner is its chorus. For some strange reason, it evokes a sense of nostalgia for me, despite not being anything to do with my childhood and past events and such. Don't ask me why it makes me nostalgic, it just does. Apart from that, I love the drum intro, the guitar build-up, and finally the jump into the song. Classic TNOTB, classic Maiden, damn this song is low, what the fuck?

51. Mother Russia
No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
Mother Russia is an underrated epic. Wait, did I say epic? Can a five+ minute song really be considered an epic? Yes it can. Yes it can. I would argue that this song is one of the most epic songs in Maiden's career, right up there with Seventh Son, Rime, Paschendale, Alexander, and Empire of the Clouds. It's shorter than most, yet the song has a certain feel to it that screams "EPIC!" While many critics consider it a shitty attempt at doing another epic in the style of previous ones, only shorter, there are a lot of fans, and I've even found it in a list of most beautiful metal songs. Is it really actually beautiful? I'm not gonna attempt to figure it out, it's an epic five minute track, that's all I know.

50. Women In Uniform
Single (1980)
Well folks, we've cracked the Top 50. Hope you've been enjoying the list so far. At #50 is Women In Uniform. It's a strange song in the band's discography - their only cover to be an A-side (besides Bring Your Daughter, but that's a whole 'nother story), and never featured on any album, even excluded from original US releases and the 1998 remasters. Nonetheless, it's a classic track from the Di'Anno era, a fun, catchy song, and, yeah. That's all I can really say. Check out the music video too, by the way, it's a cool one.

Just to let you know, I think I've done enough mega posting for the past three nights, so expect one or two songs for the next few nights like usual. Unless I feel like dropping five at a time again for whatever reason. :D

Anyways, now that we have that out of the way, here's a song which either you're gonna go, "Hey, nice to see it get some love!" or "The fuck are you on?!!"...

64. The Apparition
Fear of the Dark (1992)

When I first set down this list in stone, this song was not on it. However, after a few re-listens I realized how much I really enjoy this song. Maiden's worst? Hell no, far from it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it may be clunky, and far from perfect, but its strength lies in those weaknesses. The Apparition is not half bad. Now, tomato throwing is in order, I believe...
Yeah, definitely the first option, but with a heavy dose of the second option too. At least someone likes it. :lol:

49. Flash of the Blade
Powerslave (1984)
What a riff. What a riff. It's one of the best in the band's discography, honestly. It starts off the song quite well and sets the tone of it throughout. It's awesome. Let's be honest - would people really consider it to be the best of the 'filler' tracks on Powerslave without that riff? I doubt it. What a riff.

48. Back In The Village
Powerslave (1984)
Yup, a double-shot of Powerslave tonight. Many would say the aforementioned Flash of the Blade is the best 'filler' track on the album, but I beg to differ. That honor goes to Back In The Village. A 'sequel' or sorts to The Prisoner (which we saw earlier on the list), it stands well on its own nonetheless. A catchy chorus, strangely awesome lyrics (don't deny that "shell-shock in the kitchen" isn't badass), and overall, it's a great song and highly, highly underrated.

Nothing from SIT yet :okok:
SIT fans are gonna love this list then. :D

Forgot to post the song last night, so here it is today.

47. Como Estais Amigos
Virtual XI (1998)
Maiden has made some surprisingly emotional songs over the years. Afraid to Shoot Strangers has a very emotional start, though it loses some of that during the solo - but not much, given it returns to it again. Paschendale is quite emotional too, it throws you right there in the middle of the battlefield and you watch the men fall and the guns fire. But for my money Maiden's most emotional song is this little masterpiece off what many consider their worst album. It's a tribute to the soldiers in the Falkland War, and while many may consider the subject matter to be dated you also have to factor in music and how the lyrics are sung. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like something off of The Beatles' Abbey Road album. Every time I listen to it I swear it makes me tear up a bit. That's emotional. If I was gonna make a list of most emotional songs ever, this one would be on it. So damn good.

47. Como Estais Amigos
Virtual XI (1998)
Maiden has made some surprisingly emotional songs over the years. Afraid to Shoot Strangers has a very emotional start, though it loses some of that during the solo - but not much, given it returns to it again. Paschendale is quite emotional too, it throws you right there in the middle of the battlefield and you watch the men fall and the guns fire. But for my money Maiden's most emotional song is this little masterpiece off what many consider their worst album. It's a tribute to the soldiers in the Falkland War, and while many may consider the subject matter to be dated you also have to factor in music and how the lyrics are sung. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like something off of The Beatles' Abbey Road album. Every time I listen to it I swear it makes me tear up a bit. That's emotional. If I was gonna make a list of most emotional songs ever, this one would be on it. So damn good.

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit:
Giving up.

47. Como Estais Amigos
Virtual XI (1998)

Man of Sorrows from TBOS takes the emotional win for me.... The end alone sounds like a guitar crying.... the build up to the mid section before the solos..... that riff.. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, that last 4 minutes or so is beautiful too...

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit:
Giving up.
Poor man. :p

Man of Sorrows from TBOS takes the emotional win for me.... The end alone sounds like a guitar crying.... the build up to the mid section before the solos..... that riff.. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, that last 4 minutes or so is beautiful too...
I'd probably need to listen to them a few more times, but as of yet neither of those songs have made much of an impression on my. Maybe somewhere down the line they'll make it into a revised Top 75, but not so far.

^ Awesome info. I did not know and am a sucker for those special odd pressings.

I own the Canada and Japan pressings with Twillight Zone and Details of a Twilight Zone respectively. I will have to seek this one out.

I was reading about some of those Australian CDs, apparently Fear of the Dark has the No Prayer cuts from the Wasting Love single.

Goddamn Australians, destroying any credibility I ever had. :D

46. Killers
Killers (1981)
I've seen a lot of lists of underrated Iron Maiden songs with this one at the top, and I'm always puzzled. For such an underrated song, it sure seems pretty damn popular. Shit, it was the highest track off Killers on the official rankings. But now, as to the song itself, it's great. The spooky beginning, the schizophrenic riff, the vocals, it's a classic for a reason and I'm not surprised it's popular - and if you wanna put it at the top of an underrated list, fine, it probably deserves it anyhow.

And as a special treat, two album rankings updates:

Front%2B2.jpg

#13: No Prayer For The Dying (1990)

Stop worrying already, it was never gonna get that damn high anyway. I admit I was really smashing my head against the wall over whether or not I liked this album or AMOLAD more. On the one hand, A Matter of Life or Death is, it must be admitted, a very strong album. No Prayer For The Dying, on the other hand, is a very weak album. Why then does it end up higher on my list? Personal taste. While AMOLAD has throughout medium/strong to really strong songs, NPFTD has meh to great songs, and those great songs have won out in this case. I still don't know if I picked the right album higher, but overall this one is. It's weak, but not as bad as everyone says. Still not gonna get higher than #13 nonetheless.

IronMaiden1.jpg

#12: Iron Maiden (1980)

The second album tonight was released exactly ten years before #13 and is considered by many to be one of the band's best - their self-titled debut. Okay. Now I'm probably really flicking on the raw. I hate to say it, but yes, I'm not the biggest fan of this album. Four songs on it - Prowler, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, and Iron Maiden would I consider favorites. The rest are pretty much 'meh' (with the exception of possibly Running Free). Yeah. If you weren't already pissed off at me then now's your time to sign up. On the plus side, while I can't say I understand why everyone loves BNW so much, I can understand this one being a favorite - there is a kind of charm to it's rawer, more punk-ish sound. And I will straight-up admit it, the album cover is one of the best in music history. But yes, this one doesn't even crack the Top 10. I'm just gonna duck permanently because I sense tomatoes are about to head in my direction once again...

^ Awesome info. I did not know and am a sucker for those special odd pressings.

I own the Canada and Japan pressings with Twillight Zone and Details of a Twilight Zone respectively. I will have to seek this one out.

Some info on the expected pricings here, https://maidenargus.blogspot.ie/search/label/010 - KILLERS (1981)

this site maidenargus.blogspot.com is the best maiden collectors site on the web! The guy who runs it makes a note of how much he sees items sell for and works out an average price for each item, the guy is a hero.

I have the LP for definite, and think I may have the tape too, have to check that out my tapes are boxed away

45. 2 Minutes To Midnight
Powerslave (1984)
It's one of the 'big 4' of the Powerslave album, and usually considered the least best of them (unless you're UltimateClassicRock) yet still a standout Maiden track. One thing everyone remembers from this song is THAT RIFF. 2 Minutes To Midnight? THAT RIFF. The first time I heard THAT RIFF I instantly thought of Judas Priest's Heading Out To The Highway, and was wondering why they sounded so similar. Apparently they're both staccato riffs or some such, and apparently they're featured in several other metal songs of the time as well. Apparently, also, THAT RIFF is considered to be the best of the bunch. Aside from THAT RIFF, 2 Minutes to Midnight is also a great anti-war song about the Doomsday Clock, and it's got a very fun chorus. I was honestly worrying over whether or not placing it higher than Back In The Village was a smart move. Both are good songs, but I guess overall I seem to prefer this one. And as a final address on THAT RIFF, I'm not gonna call it the best in their discography - that's Wasted Years - but it's a good one nonetheless. 2 Minutes To Midnight? THAT RIFF.

And two more albums tonight...

386.jpg

#11: The X Factor (1995)

Let's just get it out of the way - this album is depressing. Like, really, truly, honestly, goddamn depressing. For some it works. For others it doesn't. For me it's a bit of a mixed bag - on the one hand, I like depressing songs, and this one has an abundance. On the other hand, 70+ minutes of depressing-ness can get to be a bit too much. The first three songs and The Aftermath are all great, the rest just end up becoming too depressing. I'll have to give it a few more listens before I'll really enjoy it, but for now it's a bit too depressing to get higher than 11. One thing I will say though, you can tell the band really believed in this album. There's some great lyrics and musicianship. They gave it their all. Did it pay off? Quite possibly. Tone down all the depression and it'd probably go well over with me. But for now, sorry, it's only #11.

395.jpg

#10: Virtual XI (1998)

Yes indeed-y, folks, the Blaze albums are back to back. Now, on most lists you'd see this one at the very far back end, beating only by NPFTD, and even in that case, rarely. It's got some pretty mediocre songs, yes, but they aren't as bad as many may say - the two that seem to get the most slack, TAATG and DLTTEOAS, are actually favorites of mine. Besides those, other stand-outs for me include Futureal, Como Estais Amigos, and of course, the one and only The Clansman, one of Maiden's finest epics ever. However, listening to this album in full can get a little tiresome, hence why it's only at #10. Hey, at least it's 10! Most lists would have it placed at #-16!

386.jpg

#11: The X Factor (1995)

Let's just get it out of the way - this album is depressing. Like, really, truly, honestly, goddamn depressing. For some it works. For others it doesn't. For me it's a bit of a mixed bag - on the one hand, I like depressing songs, and this one has an abundance. On the other hand, 70+ minutes of depressing-ness can get to be a bit too much. The first three songs and The Aftermath are all great, the rest just end up becoming too depressing. I'll have to give it a few more listens before I'll really enjoy it, but for now it's a bit too depressing to get higher than 11. One thing I will say though, you can tell the band really believed in this album. There's some great lyrics and musicianship. They gave it their all. Did it pay off? Quite possibly. Tone down all the depression and it'd probably go well over with me. But for now, sorry, it's only #11.

395.jpg

#10: Virtual XI (1998)

Yes indeed-y, folks, the Blaze albums are back to back. Now, on most lists you'd see this one at the very far back end, beating only by NPFTD, and even in that case, rarely. It's got some pretty mediocre songs, yes, but they aren't as bad as many may say - the two that seem to get the most slack, TAATG and DLTTEOAS, are actually favorites of mine. Besides those, other stand-outs for me include Futureal, Como Estais Amigos, and of course, the one and only The Clansman, one of Maiden's finest epics ever. However, listening to this album in full can get a little tiresome, hence why it's only at #10. Hey, at least it's 10! Most lists would have it placed at #-16!

I really feel you on Virtual XI over X Factor (Though the latter is my least favourite album of theirs, so no surprise there!). TAATG is nowhere near the monstrosity most people say and I've always thought DLTTEOAS was pretty good. Futureal is a really good song, as is The Clansman, and I've nothing against any of the other songs on the album. I've never understood the level of hate and always thought it was head and shoulders above its predecessor. It probably wouldn't make #10 for me but without hesitation I'd rank it higher than Killers, No Prayer and X Factor for at least position #13.

What, what, respectively?
RE The Apparition. Ok, the instrumental is good but really, seriously, it is in the bottom 5 Maiden songs ever. Not awful but certainly nothing special.
The Wasitng Love single has some live tracks from Wembely 1990

Nothing from SIT yet :okok:
Shit, you must've jinxed it!

44. Stranger In A Strange Land
Somewhere In Time (1986)
Unpopular opinion: Stranger In A Strange Land is the worst song on Somewhere In Time. Hold up, let me rephrase. Stranger In A Strange Land is my least favorite song on Somewhere In Time. Because it is a good song. All the way up at #44 in fact! Just, compared to the other songs on this amazing record, it's not as good. Yep, I said it. One of the album's most popular songs is my least favorite. Sue me. I do love the story this songs tells though - an explorer trapped in the ice, years later found as a warning to all... good fucking stuff. Sure, it's the lowest, but make no mistake - it's a good song.

Back