Deep Purple

So far I have heard Time For Bedlam, Birds of Prey, The Surprising, and Johnny's Band.

Love Johnny's Band for how honest and straight forward the lyrics are and how the guitar lick sounds like a Edgar Winter rip off (no wonder he is opening for Purple).

The other three sound more progressive and less driving than I have heard Purple before. Slower and mystical. (Mind you this is only on a first listen. My opinion might change after seeing the material played live). I am a fan of both progressive and harder driving rock as well so even though it sounds like a different Purple than I have known, I am enjoying it.

So far I have heard Time For Bedlam, Birds of Prey, The Surprising, and Johnny's Band.

Love Johnny's Band for how honest and straight forward the lyrics are and how the guitar lick sounds like a Edgar Winter rip off (no wonder he is opening for Purple).

The other three sound more progressive and less driving than I have heard Purple before. Slower and mystical. (Mind you this is only on a first listen. My opinion might change after seeing the material played live). I am a fan of both progressive and harder driving rock as well so even though it sounds like a different Purple than I have known, I am enjoying it.

I pretty much agree with this, the songs you listed .. especially The Surprising are really good ... the rest are quite solid. I think I like Now What better, but this is still really good. Look forward to seeing them this summer, should be a good show with the support acts

This is a really interesting, in depth, one hour long interview with Ritchie Blackmore. I think it is around the Battle Rages On era, but it covers most of Ritchie's work. Well worth a viewing! ;)

Deep Purple are touring the UK in November with Europe as support!

I'm strongly considering attending as a fan of the latter. I enjoy Deep Purple too, but have admittedly only listened to In Rock and Machine Head. Any suggestions on live staples etc. it would be worth listening to before the fact? If there was a setlist to look up I'd do so; I quite like knowing the songs before going in.

I would give the last two albums. Now What and Infinite a listen and at least the song Perfect Strangers. Those and Machine Head should cover a decent amount of what they will play

They are touring the US with Alice Cooper and the Edgar Winter band. Looking forward to it. Purple and Cooper put on great shows

Last edited:
I should add, the US tour starts any day now, I am seeing them in a few weeks, so you should see some setlists come up soon.

I'll add they usually play Hush as well. The only non Gillan Purple somg they ever play.

Edit: on a personal note. I have seen Purple in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. Amazing how good they still are after all these years

Deep Purple are touring the UK in November with Europe as support!

I'm strongly considering attending as a fan of the latter. I enjoy Deep Purple too, but have admittedly only listened to In Rock and Machine Head. Any suggestions on live staples etc. it would be worth listening to before the fact? If there was a setlist to look up I'd do so; I quite like knowing the songs before going in.

Setlist FM is a good place to see what bands are playing, here is the most recent Deep Purple setlist, doubt the UK gigs will differ too much. I like both bands so it is a great bill for me.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deep-purple/2017/the-chelsea-las-vegas-nv-3be508a0.html

I wish I could have seen DP on the Slaves and Masters tour. They opened with Burn. This was when Joe Lynn Turner was their singer. I had tix to see them, but they canceled the tour before it got to Texas :mad:

I am 99.9% sure that since they reformed for Perfect Strangers
.. Hush is the only song that Gillan did not originally sing on that they have played live with him in the band
Technically, Steve Morse played a snippet of "Burn" at Montreux Festival in 1996 (DVD) but Gillan didn't seem too pleased with it.

Did you ever see them with David Coverdale on vocals? If so, which tour?

I did not .. all with Gillan .. not intentional, just worked out that way. I saw Whitesnake once in the 80s ... he sounded good there. From what I have seen, he is not sounding all that hot anymore.

Saw DP last night with co-headliner Alice Cooper and opening act Edgar Winter Group.

EWG was the surprise of the night. Never seen him before and I guess I was confusing him with his brother Johnny Winter (who I found out last night died three years ago). Johnny was a killer guitarist. Edgar however is the singer, keyboardist, saxaphonist, and co-drummer! Talented guy. Also did not know until last night that he is from Beaumont TX (75 minutes East of Houston). They did a great extended jam with Edgar scatting a line and each musician in the band playing that line. Some of them were actual classic rock songs and others were just lines Edgar was making up on the spot. Good performance.

Alice Cooper-Pretty much stole the show as far as performance, stage production, and audience reaction. Good mix of old and new material. Did not know he has three guitarists. Good band and of course Nita was shredding away! Strange thing is he almost never spoke to the audience in between songs. Like a play I suppose.

DP- Very minimal stage production (which I expected) but great music. Sure Ian has aged and it shows in his voice, but still enjoyable. Steve and Don especially were on fire. More old material than new and wish they would not skip so many LPs in the setlist (about seven LPs Ian sang on were skipped), but oh well.

During the performance people started leaving. Definitely better reaction and more people in the audience during Alice Cooper. However, this also could be due to being in 90 degree heat most of the night. From the time we arrived (too early) from when the show was over was about six hours of pure heat and humidity. We each drank a large bottle water and Gatorade. Luckily the local Classic Rock station was on hand to pass out little hand held fans. On top of that, I volunteered at my son's school before the show and was run ragged, I was pretty much done during DP.

Bought a DP tour program for me and Alice Cooper shirt for my son. (check the size they hand you; near the end of DP's set, my son noticed they gave him the wrong size shirt. Luckily, I kept the receipt because I paid with a card, and he never wore it so they were cool and exchanged it for us). Glad I saw DP on the Long Goodbye tour and my boy especially enjoyed Alice Cooper.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deep...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-5be55f6c.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alic...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-4be55f3e.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/edga...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-5be55f3c.html

https://goo.gl/photos/RkfVMGqg7PyABokLA

Last edited:
Thanks @terrell39 Going to see that same show tonight .. also outside ...supposed to be 97 when the show starts.

This is a really great bill .. I have never seen EWG either, but looking forward to it.

Saw DP last night with co-headliner Alice Cooper and opening act Edgar Winter Group.

EWG was the surprise of the night. Never seen him before and I guess I was confusing him with his brother Johnny Winter (who I found out last night died three years ago). Johnny was a killer guitarist. Edgar however is the singer, keyboardist, saxaphonist, and co-drummer! Talented guy. Also did not know until last night that he is from Beaumont TX (75 minutes East of Houston). They did a great extended jam with Edgar scatting a line and each musician in the band playing that line. Some of them were actual classic rock songs and others were just lines Edgar was making up on the spot. Good performance.

Alice Cooper-Pretty much stole the show as far as performance, stage production, and audience reaction. Good mix of old and new material. Did not know he has three guitarists. Good band and of course Nita was shredding away! Strange thing is he almost never spoke to the audience in between songs. Like a play I suppose.

DP- Very minimal stage production (which I expected) but great music. Sure Ian has aged and it shows in his voice, but still enjoyable. Steve and Don especially were on fire. More old material than new and wish they would not skip so many LPs in the setlist (about seven LPs Ian sang on were skipped), but oh well.

During the performance people started leaving. Definitely better reaction and more people in the audience during Alice Cooper. However, this also could be due to being in 90 degree heat most of the night. From the time we arrived (too early) from when the show was over was about six hours of pure heat and humidity. We each drank a large bottle water and Gatorade. Luckily the local Classic Rock station was on hand to pass out little hand held fans. On top of that, I volunteered at my son's school before the show and was run ragged, I was pretty much done during DP.

Bought a DP tour program for me and Alice Cooper shirt for my son. (check the size they hand you; near the end of DP's set, my son noticed they gave him the wrong size shirt. Luckily, I kept the receipt because I paid with a card, and he never wore it so they were cool and exchanged it for us). Glad I saw DP on the Long Goodbye tour and my boy especially enjoyed Alice Cooper.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deep...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-5be55f6c.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alic...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-4be55f3e.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/edga...chell-pavilion-the-woodlands-tx-5be55f3c.html

https://goo.gl/photos/RkfVMGqg7PyABokLA

Back from the show ... I pretty much second what @terrell39 said

Though I am keeping this ticket stub to remember the seats we had, right under a huge fan that made a massive difference from being miserable (like the Maiden TFF tour) and really comfy .... that sucker put out a nice breeze. I'll go see more summer shows there knowing that, though I wish more bands would just play inside from May 1 to Sept 30th here. Too damn hot.

EWG was really good, he has a hell of a band with him ... and his voice sounded like he is in his 40s, not 70s. Really impressive. I always liked him, but never was majorly into him ... I need to give his albums a closer listen.

Tonight was Ian Gillan's 72nd birthday, they slid in a bit of the Happy Birthday Song in Knocking at Your Backdoor .. which, if I was Ian, I would be a bit nervous to see what the band got me. For a short setlist, I thought it was good ... I liked the songs from the new album live. I love Uncommon Man, but it is a bit of a set killer live. Not tons of people left, but a few did and the crowd was much more mellow than they were for Alice ... but I really enjoyed them. I thought Ian sounded pretty good, better than he sounded last time around (2 years ago) I thought.

Cooper had a hell of a stage show, really good band with him ... mostly a greatest hits set ... I was not overly impressed with the 2 new songs though.

Fun show, I went with my son, we had a great time, really good bill. I would see any of the 3 again in a second.

There was just a large amount of musical talent on display between the 3 bands ... everyone was top notch.

Back