Which albums turned you off from bands completely even if previous material was good?

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I used to listen to Slayer quite regularly, but I lost interest after that embarassing new album. Same goes for Gojira after the latest sellout album, Helloween after last 2 albums, Gamma Ray after the last album.

I honestly don't know if I have any bands that I stopped listening to because of a new album that I disliked. I think that most of the time if a band is trying something new, be it more commercial, more/less aggressive, weirder, etc. it shows that they are still actively creating new things and pushing the boundaries of their songwriting.

A lot of Megadeth fans hate Risk, a lot of Metallica fans hate Load/ReLoad, a lot of Maiden fans hate The X Factor/Virtual XI, etc. but these times of musical overhauls tell me that a band is still progressing.

If anything, I find that bands who continue to make the same albums over and over again to please their fans are the ones I stop caring about, re: Iced Earth, Anthrax, current Megadeth.

NP, do you mean turns you off from continuing to follow said band; or do you mean, in light of a release you don't like, you start to actually dislike the previous material too? Or both?

I meant the former in the case of the bands I mentioned, but if anyone has examples of the latter, that too :)

Lots...

David Bowie- Tonight was a big step down

The Cult- Ceremony

Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup ( but love it now)

Pink Floyd The Final Cut

I was actually a big fan of Achtung Baby era U2 u til they released POP & completely alienated me as a kid.

Oasis with Be Here Now

I stuck with Queensryche long after Degarmo left, but Dedicated To Chaos was a real misstep

Metallica and the Loads are obvious, cutting their hair, trying to be alternative trend hoppers etc but they sound classic today compared to the new stuff

Maiden:
No prayer turned me off but with FOTD they redeemed themselves.
X Factor ruined the band for me until Bruce went back

I used to love Ozzy as much as Maiden for years. Like most people I never knew Bob Daisley and Geezer were behind his lyrics. Ozmosis had it's moments, but then Down To Earth was the end for me

Skid Row – Subhuman Race, purchased it on day of release and struggled to listen to the full thing on first listen. Put it on the shelf and never listened to again for year, and as a result didn’t go near their other albums either. Not sure exactly why this was the case, but that album just put me right off the band, didn’t go and see them on the subsequent tour.

Blind Guardian since anything they did after Nightfall in Middle Earth.
Helloween for quite a while. Still checking (and also buying) Gamma Ray to be honest, but it's not what it used to be for ages.

Iced Earth since Stu, but this might change soon. New one is album of the month in the latest Aardschok by the way (metal mag).

There are lots of bands I've stopped listening to due to worse and worse quality. Getting older and having less time and money to listen and purchase music, also makes me being very selective about music. And I prefer to check out whatever my favorite bands are doing, even if they released some very bad music (Super collider, lulu, nostradamus...)

However, before Six degrees of inner turbulence, DT were one of my favorite bands, and they still haven't released an album that match any of their first ten years.

Dream Theater

Self titled and Astonishing effectively killed off my enthusiasm for their new works.

5 out of their last 6 albums were either mediocre or flat out bad.

Almost every band or musician who I ever really liked has let me down eventually. With many of them, I never even gave their later material after the big letdown album a chance; it was like they lost their magic. A few memorable turnoff albums that made me stop following a band I formerly loved:

Queensryche - Empire (I eventually came back to them when Todd joined; really like most of Condition Human)
Judas Priest - Turbo (I hear Painkiller was actually good; I saw them perform the title song once but never bothered to seek it out)
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (Kid A and Amnesiac had been warnings, but each one contained a few good songs)
Aerosmith - Pump (I still caught the tour, but for the older material)
Rush - Signals (when it came out. I didn't like synths at the time and felt betrayed by their departure from guitar-based music. I like "Subdivisions" today though.)
Ministry - The Dark Side of the Spoon (Filth Pig was a step down from Psalm 69, but had its moments. I bought DSOTS soon after it came out and listened to it a couple of times, max.)
Rolling Stones - Undercover.

And there were several good 70s rock groups who went adult-contemporary around the mid-80s and lost me as far as any new material. Foreigner - Agent Provocateur; Heart - Heart; Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life; and others. Not to mention all the FM-rock bands that had really good debuts & maybe even second albums in the early 80s but followed up with formulaic commercial shite shortly after (e.g. Loverboy, Night Ranger). Cheap Trick nearly lost me with Lap of Luxury and "The Flame," but some of their more recent stuff has redeemed them.

None of these bad albums turned me off to the artist's earlier music that I liked. But in some cases, I considered the bands "dead to me" - like the way John Lennon once remarked, upon learning of Elvis's death, that Elvis had died when he joined the Army. (AFAIC, John Lennon died when the Beatles split up.) As in, I enjoyed them when they were good and will always enjoy the good stuff, but am sad about what happened to them and have accepted that I shouldn't expect any new memories from them.

Last edited:
It's tied with Piece of Mind and Chemical Wedding for my favorite Metal album.

Rush - Signals (when it came out. I didn't like synths at the time and felt betrayed by their departure from guitar-based music. I like "Subdivisions" today though.)

You should check out some later-era Rush. Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows if nothing else.

Huh, everyone's going crazy over Painkiller, and meanwhile I'm speechless over [Empire]

What can I say? My reaction to Empire was like the Kill 'Em All / Ride the Lightning-era Metallica fans' reaction to the Black Album. I liked the fast NWOBHM-style songs off the EP and Warning; the creepy cyber-dystopian tunes off Warning and Rage for Order; and about 85-90% of Mindcrime. But something about Empire rubbed me the wrong way. It's like they were consciously trying to write mainstream arena-rock chant-along anthems ("Jet City Woman," "Best I Can," title track, "Anybody Listening") and power ballads, instead of metal songs. Nothing on it comparable to tunes like "Prophecy," "Screaming in Digital," "Neue Regel," "Roads to Madness," "NM 156," "Surgical Strike," etc.

I bought the CD the week it came out; after a month or two it never came back out of its jewel case, and I sold it years ago.

As for Painkiller, yeah, I am remiss. When it came out, the bad taste of Turbo was still in my mouth. I'll probably get it one day.

You should check out some later-era Rush. Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows if nothing else.

I softened / warmed up to post-Moving Pictures Rush when I matured a little more. There are good songs on all their mid-80s albums. Have seen some of their live concert videos from recent decades and liked some of the newer material, but I was so focused on the familiar songs that the new ones didn't leave a lasting impression. I'll get to it someday.

Whew, it's a good thing I didn't share my reaction to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son here.

Last edited:
Queensrÿche - Dedicated to Chaos
I stuck with Queensryche long after Degarmo left, but Dedicated To Chaos was a real misstep
My case too.

However, I was really into the self-titled album but my interest has waned a little for Condition Human.

Not "turned off" really, but the albums when I said to myself: this band has hardly anything more to give me:
Nightwish - Century Child
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Dream Theater - SFAM
(it seems to be a pattern in how I appreciate the releases of bands I like: if a band feels the need to become more "musically impressive", it almost always corresponds to what is to me a lack of inspiration... -Painkiller being a good counter-example) in the cases of these three bands above, my interest has never really picked up again since those days)

Last edited:
Back