What if Stratton and Di'Anno returned in the 90's?

fekso2017

Invader
Do you think the fanbase would have been more forgiving if we had Dennis Stratton replacing Adrian in 1990 and Paul Di'Anno replacing Bruce in 1993? I'm sure the 1995 studio album would have been very different!

No replacement for Bruce was ever going to be popular, and nobody cares very much about Stratton. Besides, we're talking about two people who were fired from the band previously. I doubt Steve ever considered reaching out to either.

No replacement for Bruce was ever going to be popular, and nobody cares very much about Stratton. Besides, we're talking about two people who were fired from the band previously. I doubt Steve ever considered reaching out to either.
Stratton is a song writer with a similar style to Adrian. Just as with Adrian, he didnt get to write for his first album with the band. In 1995 Maiden relied much on Harris and Gers had to step in. Gers hadnt written that much for Maiden before so Im sure it was hard on him. If Di'Anno was easier to work with I cant see why not. Killswich Engage is s band that is popular (I dont listen to them though) that managed to replace a popular singer with their original singer!

Someone who as opposed to you amounted to something.
Harsh.

Killswich Engage is s band that is popular (I dont listen to them though) that managed to replace a popular singer with their original singer!
Killswitch Engage are a popular band, yes, but they were never one of the biggest bands on the planet. The circumstances surrounding Jesse Leach's (I think that's his name) and Howard Jones' departures from the band are different from those of Paul and Bruce. Steve replaced Paul with Bruce because he wanted to step up to the next level. Bring Paul back in the 90s would have been a step backwards.

Nah, I wouldn't want the 1995 studio album to sound any different.
Oh no, dont get me wrong. I think its a great album. But would the fans accepted the situation better with former members in the band instead of Janick and Blaze?

Harsh.

Killswitch Engage are a popular band, yes, but they were never one of the biggest bands on the planet. The circumstances surrounding Jesse Leach's (I think that's his name) and Howard Jones' departures from the band are different from those of Paul and Bruce. Steve replaced Paul with Bruce because he wanted to step up to the next level. Bring Paul back in the 90s would have been a step backwards.
And the original comment was not?

Yes, true. But many regard Blaze as five steps back. Maybe it would have been easier with a familiar face?

No. Many disliked 'The X Factor' because it didn't have Bruce, not because Blaze was bad. If another band had released that album it would have been received more favourably. The songs wouldn't have been appropriate for Paul's vocal style anyway. Can you imagine Paul singing 'Sign of the Cross'?

No. Many disliked 'The X Factor' because it didn't have Bruce, not because Blaze was bad. If another band had released that album it would have been received more favourably. The songs wouldn't have been appropriate for Paul's vocal style anyway. Can you imagine Paul singing 'Sign of the Cross'?

Of course not. You cant record The X Factor with Paul. Thats like recording Death Metal with David Lee Roth. I dont think Bruce would let Maiden go in that direction either. He wanted to do Skunkworks. The situation would have been totaly different. Maybe they would have recorded a live album based on the first two albums while waiting out the then current music scene to fade.

I'm not so sure. For me at least The X Factor not having Bruce wasn't an issue, since his vocals on several albums before that - and especially the Real Dead One - weren't something I particularly enjoyed; songs were certainly not worse than you-know-which-song from FOTD so this wasn't a problem either but the way Blaze sounds off-key most of the time was too much. Not that I expected it - I had heard him with Wolfsbane before.

Not that I expected it - I had heard him with Wolfsbane before.
Sorry for going off-topic here but this thing bugs me. How were you even able to lay your hands on bands like Wolfsbane in the early 90s and late 80s here?

BNT, which I think was Kanal 1 then, was showing old series of Raw Power by that time (early 90s), that's where I'd first seen Wolfsbane's Manhunt (and Bathory's One Rode to Asa Bay btw which put me on the Norwegian black metal track later but that's another matter). And there was tape trade of course and things like the Iron Horse or O.4.3., not to mention Lazarov recs

If Bruce had left in 90 and Paul came back for NPFTD and FOTD we might have a different discussion, but Paul during Maiden's peak moody and dramatic era would've been atrocious.

To be fair, if there was a consideration to bring Paul back, that moody era would've never happened. They would've continued the "back to basics" sound of No Prayer and Fear.

Paul's return would have probably resulted in a very, very quick departure considering that he couldn't sing any of the band's golden era material on stage and likely would have self destructed given his lack of health/business discipline.

Back