DC Extended Universe Thread (Spoilers inside!)

Can someone explain why the director makes that much of a difference when they're in post? What is Whedon going to be doing?
Whedon is doing additional writing and some reshoots. Besides, director's role is crucial at every stage of production, even in post. There are always decisions to be made. For example regarding editing, vfx or score.

OK, but the overall direction of the film probably won't change that much? I guess what I'm getting at is if Whedon's presence will be felt in the final product at this stage, as opposed to some other director. Given what happened with Suicide Squad and WB's notorious fickleness with these movies, I wonder if we're in for another disjointed movie.

Yeah, I guess it won't suddenly become a Whedon's film, but it's still better to have someone proven at the helm so the risk of making a bigger mess of it would be smaller. I guess his name itself makes people not worry about this swap, so it's good PR-wise. In these circumstances they probably want to fulfill Snyder's vision and Whedon is there to make the production go as intended. And I'm sure there's a lot of work to be done. They finish this kind of films very late.

Knowing Whedon and knowing Snyder, I'd much rather have a Whedon final cut than a Snyder final cut. There's far more chances for edits to be made around character development instead of editing out character development in favor of smashing buildings and soundtrack cues.

Saw latest Arrow season finale. The flashbacks finally ended the way I always wanted them to:

with a boat picking up Oliver from the island and him calling his mom letting her know he is alive and on the way home. Finally links up with where the series started

Now i would like to watch all the flashbacks from the series start to the recent finale flashbacks.

Back in August of last year I posted the following:

"I feel in 10 months, Wonder Woman will finally give the EU some respect. Her appearance in BvS was the ONLY time the audience cheered. Plus the reaction to her trailer is very good."

$223 million opening weekend and 93% Rotten Tomatoes. I 'd say I called it right.

Just saw Wonder Woman. Hell of a prequel. A hero(ine) who preaches love and compassion and wants to help "those who cannot fight for themselves", yet can kick butt as well as any male hero. The ladies have been waiting a LONG time for not only a heroine to carry her own film, but even better the mothers can now take their daughter(s) to see someone they can aspire to. My son's mother was laughing during the first half at Steve Trevor's reactions to everything coming out of Diana's mouth. Humor, emotion, and action. The film had it all. Thankfully, we only have to wait five months to see her in action again (in Justice League). And then we wait until Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot get together again to film the modern day setting of Wonder Woman II.

After seeing Wonder Woman this afternoon, I rewatched the last hour of the Ultimate Edition of Batman V Superman to see her in action from a different perspective, now knowing what she has been through.

After the battle with Doomsday is over and Diana sees Lois' expression when she first realizes Superman is dead, Diana sees herself. Diana knows the pain of seeing the man she loves sacrifice himself to save others. She knows what Lois is going through at that moment. Also during the last scene when Diana tells Bruce 100 years ago she walked away from mankind and a century of horror and then Bruce says "Men are still good"; those lines also have new meaning now after having seen the Wonder Woman film. I also feel different now seeing the photograph Diana treasures so much that Bruce sends her in an email because now I am familiar with the characters as well as the AMAZING scene that precedes the photograph being taken.

Now you may ask yourself, was Wonder Woman already written prior to BvS? How does this all tie together? Remember, Zack Snyder co-wrote the story of Wonder Woman so yes, Diana's subplot was long term.

Saw Wonder Woman today. I liked it quite a lot, it's better than any DCEU film thus far. Not perfect, though. Some scenes in the middle of it dragged a bit. The majority of "she doesn't know how to human" jokes didn't land for me. I'm torn on the action scenes. On one hand the choreography was impressive, but on the other hand the scenes were often shot in a super cheesy way. Slow-mo was out of control. I wish they went for a more gritty style of action, but I can't say I didn't enjoy these sequences. Wonder Woman owning soldiers was rad. As for acting, I (like many) was skeptical about Gal Gadot's acting abilities, but I think she did a decent job. Nothing in her performance distracted me and I liked the character, so it's a success. Chris Pine was really good in his role, I didn't expect to like him, to be honest. The two were playing off each other really well IMO.
As for Ares, maybe it's just me, but I think it was a miscast. I'd prefer someone at least a bit more sinister. I know he was supposed to be inconspicuous, but... as a villain the guy looked silly to me. :p I was glad when he transformed into the armored version. I could still see the mustache underneath his helmet, though, and it was cracking me up, lol.
So overall I'm really glad that WB have finally put out a solid DCEU film. It was much needed after the horrendous Suicide Squad. Jeez, I hated that one...

I liked it more than the average Marvel movie. Action scenes were kinda odd but exciting.

Overall, I liked Wonder Woman. I liked the whole thing from cast to action to pacing more than I thought I would.

I did greatly dislike the narrative framing device because it felt corny as hell and because I didn't see BvS, so there was no context for me. Also, tons of exposition. Way too much exposition.

Also, for a feminist movie, the plot can be boiled down to something very much the opposite: man invades woman's world, takes woman with him, shows her how to win the fight.

As for Ares, maybe it's just me, but I think it was a miscast. I'd prefer someone at least a bit more sinister. I know he was supposed to be inconspicuous, but... as a villain the guy looked silly to me. :p I was glad when he transformed into the armored version. I could still see the mustache underneath his helmet, though, and it was cracking me up, lol.

I thought that was good, actually. I never saw it coming. For those of Harry Potter fans who felt David Thewlis as Lupin was one of the best, most reliable and kindhearted characters in the series, it was a shock. I wasn't thrilled with how they presented all the information (again, more exposition), though.

I didn't see BvS, so there was no context for me.

That's a good thing. Now you are one of the few who can watch Diana's story in chronological order. But only watch the ULTIMATE edtion of BvS. The theatrical version plot is too jumpy. It flows better and is easier to understand in the Ultimate edition.

That's a good thing. Now you are one of the few who can watch Diana's story in chronological order. But only watch the ULTIMATE edtion of BvS. The theatrical version plot is too jumpy. It flows better and is easier to understand in the Ultimate edition.

Yeah, I'll have to do that. It's on the blu-ray I assume?

Have you shown this post to your new wife? :p

Oh yeah. She definitely agrees, though her statement was "pick your battles. They can't change everything all at once."

Wonder Woman
Best DCEU movie by far. First two thirds were pretty awesome, easily mid-level MCU stuff. Likeable characters, relatively simple story, nice balance of serious and funny stuff. Visually pretty good too.

Then in the last third, it's as if Zack Snyder pushed Patty Jenkins out and decided to put his mark on the story. Another friggin' battle in pitch black darkness with superpowered people throwing each other through buildings with fire everywhere. FFS. I really didn't like the whole Ares thing. I was hoping that if he shows up, it'll be right at the end as a setup for the sequel. After watching him in Fargo S3, I really couldn't take David Thewlis as Ares seriously. Great actor, just miscast here. Ludendorff was also extremely forgettable and the actor triggered my memories of X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie :turd: Should've cast an actual German and had the Germans actually speak the language instead. There was also way too much slow-mo stuff in action scenes, but other than they were quite impressive, other than the Ares CGI-fest.

I'll give it a 7 on IMDb :p Would've been higher if they found a more inventive way to deal with Ares, or at least set that scene in a more interesting place.

Wonder Woman worldwide box office ($713 M) has passed Man of Steel ($668 M) and is gaining on Suicide Squad ($745 M)!

Man of Steel soundtrack by Hans Zimmer track listing is not in chronological order. Here is a chronological order they should have been in that I found online elsewhere:

1. Look to the Stars: Kal-El's birth
2. DNA: Jor-El retrieves the codex
3. Goodbye My Son: See title
4. Ignition: See title
5. Launch: See title
6. I Will Find Him: Again, see title.
7. Krypton's Last: Krypton Destroyed, Kal-El en route to Earth
8. Oil Rig: See title
9. Are You Listening, Clark? [Deluxe Edition only]: Oil Rig aftermath and sensory issues
10. Sent Here For a Reason: Pa Kent talking to Clark about his origins
11. I Have So Many Questions: Clark finds the ship and the ghost of Jor-El
12. Flight: Superman suit revealed and Kal-El flying
13. Tornado: Tornado and tragedy
14. You Led Us Here [Deluxe Edition Only]: Zod talking to Kal-El in his dream/hallucination thing
15. Terraforming: See title
16. You Die or I Do: Zod vs. Superman
17. If You Love These People: Fight continues
18. What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?: Clark gets a new job/end credits

Wonder Woman has passed suicide squad worldwide box office. Only $100 m away from BvS and she hasn't even opened in Japan yet...

Back