The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

If true, here is the reason Hallowed has been dropped.

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iron-maiden-shelve-fans-favourite-song-legal/
To fans of heavy metal legends Iron Maiden it is the centrepiece of every concert.

But the band says it has been forced to drop its anthemic number Hallowed Be Thy Name from its tour after it became embroiled in a legal battle over who wrote it.

Retired rock band manager Barry McKay is taking Steve Harris and Dave Murray, two musicians from Iron Maiden, to court over the song.

He claims it reproduces major parts of another song "Lying in my Shadow", written by musician Brian Quinn, under the name Brian Ingham.

Mr McKay, from Hampstead, north London, said: "There was no need for Iron Maiden to withdraw the song from their set. But if they wish to do the right thing, they are welcome to contact either myself or my lawyers and reach a simple agreement to perform “Hallowed Be Thy Name”.

"I have never wanted to stop fans hearing their favourite Maiden song."

After being made aware of the legal claim Iron Maiden took the decision to drop the song from their set - including at tonight’s concert at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle - until the dispute was resolved.

In a statement the band, which has recorded more than a dozen albums since it was formed in 1975, said: “As previously announced for the current second leg of the Book of Souls tour a couple of changes to the set list were due to be made. The first was including a different track from the new album and having been made aware of a legal claim, the second change was to replace Hallowed Be Thy Name.”

Phantom Management added on behalf of the Iron Maiden: “The dispute concerns the song Life’s Shadow, a song originally written in the early 1970s, credited to Robert Barton and Brian Ingham, and recorded by the band Beckett.

“Steve Harris was a fan of Beckett and some six lines from Life’s Shadow were referenced in Steve’s song, Hallowed Be Thy Name.

“As far as Steve is concerned, this matter was settled some years ago by agreement with Robert Barton. Any evidence presented by Mr McKay will be looked at very closely and a Defence at court will be submitted in due course.”

Mr McKay added: "Hallowed be Thy Name isn't just an Iron Maiden song. It's the song that has defined the band.”

He added: “Hallowed is heavily influenced by "Life's Shadow"."
Hmmmmm, I can't even find the song Lying In My Shadow anywhere.

Bruce is pretty much owning TGU these days... :edmetal:

Seems like this is a similar situation to TBOS last year, it took a few gigs for Bruce to 'learn' to sing it live and then it swiftly becomes one of the standout vocal performances of the set.

Yeh, but we already guessed that last week. This doesn't really seem to have moved the story on much. Plus, the way Travis wrote that I thought it sounded like he was unaware of the previous discussion.

Everyone is in need of money. But not everyone had their song elements used, get nothing for it and take action.

Personally I see the time scale as little more than a side note and there could be any number of reasons that it took this long to come about. Fact remains, in my opinion, that money is owed to the original song writer.
Something I wonder about though, if Barton and Quinn were both credited and registered at the time of Bartons pay off, how come only Barton got the money? Did Maiden have a legal or moral obligation to find him if they were aware of him? Surely one of the legal cats would have found something with his name on it? Barton certainly had a moral obligation.
Either way, pay up, move on.

Personally I see the time scale as little more than a side note and there could be any number of reasons that it took this long to come about. Fact remains, in my opinion, that money is owed to the original song writer.
Something I wonder about though, if Barton and Quinn were both credited and registered at the time of Bartons pay off, how come only Barton got the money? Did Maiden have a legal or moral obligation to find him if they were aware of him? Surely one of the legal cats would have found something with his name on it? Barton certainly had a moral obligation.
Either way, pay up, move on.

There was something about Barton registering the song in 2011 and claiming he had written all the bits that had influenced Maiden. Therefore, he was the only one who would be getting any money. I bet when Quinn learnt about this, he was not happy and probably got in touch with Maiden's legal team who told him that this had already been settled and they would not be giving him any money. And that is why this is now going to the High Court...

Back