Random trivia

Ban on animal testing. Hitler, for some reason, hated for animals to be mistreated (so had humans used in their stead. How they justified that one is beyond me)

I think the Nazis also banned smoking after some German scientists figured out it wasn't quite as healthy as had previously been advertised

Last edited:
Probably the time zone in the Netherlands
Correct. From 1909 to 1940 the Netherlands knew the "Amsterdam time". This time zone was 20 minutes behind Greenwich. When the Netherlands was occupied by Nazi Germany, the occupier introduced Central European Time ("Berlin Time"). That was exactly one hour behind Greenwich. After the Second World War, this time zone continued.
Ban on animal testing. Hitler, for some reason, hated for animals to be mistreated (so had humans used in their stead. How they justified that one is beyond me)
Correct. Nazi Germany was the first country in the world to announce a total ban on animal testing. As early as 1933, the Reichstag introduced the ban. Anyone who did not conform could be sent to a concentration camp.
I think the Nazis also banned smoking after some German scientists figured out it wasn't quite as healthy as had previously been advertised
Correct. After German doctors discovered that smoking leads to lung cancer, the state wanted to protect its population. Among other things, there was a ban on smoking in public transport. This was not the first smoking ban. Several kings, sultans and city councils had already experimented with it. But nowhere was it observed as consistently as in Germany.

One more.

Mother's Day, and I think that's why the question popped up today. :p

Mother's Day: No

Mother's Day is an American invention. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Mother's Day in 1914 as national holiday. The Nazis promote motherhood by providing medals to women with many children, and by setting a "Day of German Mothers."

(Yes mate, this whole quiz, for which I do not take credit, indeed popped up today in a Dutch newspaper. The point of the quiz was that Mother's Day has been controversial for some, because the holiday day would be thought of by the Nazis. Also on other matters there is such a 'nazi curse'. "But are those allegations correct?" *11 questions follow in quiz*)

Last edited:
Yep. The two celebrations have now been mixed up, and many people think that they are the same thing, which they are not. Mother's Day has always been a secular event.

But to look back at the quiz; The first pure motor street in Germany was built in the early 1920s in Berlin, and the idea of motorways (Autobahn) was discussed throughout the decade. Although Hitler later took credit for coming up with it and still gets it today, the Nazis actually voted against their construction in a regional government in 1932. So it's not the highway.
I'm not sure what exactly is meant y UFO, but if it's the flying saucer, there is a persistent myth that the Nazis developed such things in the late stages of the war. However, no proof of them exists, and it's a tale spun mostly by right-wing conspiracy theorists.
The first public flight of a helicopter took place in Berlin in 1927, and I suppose that many prototypes were designed before that, so that's not it either.
So it must be one of the others. Meth?

I will say more about all options but now I only react to the guesses.

Meth: the answer is no (more about this will follow later).

Methafmetamine: No
@Perun
During the WWII, the German company Temmler sold large amounts of methamphetamine under the name 'Pervitin'. Especially the army used it a lot because it would keep the soldiers awake and sharp. But they did not discover the drug: methamphetamine was already synthesized in Japan in 1893.

Which of these eleven matters were thought of by the Nazis?

1. Mothers Day
2. Smoking ban
3. Aspartame
4. Ban on animal testing
5. Methamphetamine
6. Microwave
7. Helicopter
8. Highway
9. Fanta
10. Current timezone in the Netherlands
11. UFOs
UFO's?
Possibly highways? The German autobahn was probably down to Hitler to allow folk to drive his Volkswagen without hindrance.

You can, I think, rule out helicopters as I think that was a Da Vinci idea.

Edit: ok, I just read Peruns post.

Huh? Did you know about this @LooseCannon ? ;)

9kLHRrb.jpg

Island in question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

Maiden trivia time. Which was the last released Iron Maiden album that certified gold or platinum status in the USA?

Back