Congratulations to ...

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Fear of the Dark! Don't know who gives a rat's ass (Maiden included) but I do.

11 May 1992

25 years ago, this dude ran to the shop buying the first new Iron Maiden album that came out since he became a fan! As time progressed, the album became massively overshadowed by the ever persisting title track. Playing only 5 out of 12 songs didn't help (this album was ignored the most from all Maiden albums).

After No Prayer for the Dying (1990) the band took a different route, experimenting more, changing the sound and style somewhat. More room for acoustic guitars and a more polished production. It turned out as a fine atmospheric record, laying the groundwork for The X-Factor. Dave played a lot of this best solos on this one, with perfect full sound and lots of melody. Janick showcased his songwriting for the first time in Maiden. The impressive cover made the feast complete. Forever a special album to me!

0724349692503.jpg

1."Be Quick or Be Dead" Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers 3:21
2. "From Here to Eternity" Steve Harris 3:35
3. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" Harris 6:52
4. "Fear Is the Key" Dickinson, Gers 5:30
5. "Childhood's End" Harris 4:37
6. "Wasting Love" Dickinson, Gers 5:46
7. "The Fugitive" Harris 4:52
8. "Chains of Misery" Dickinson, Dave Murray 3:33
9. "The Apparition" Harris, Gers 3:53
10. "Judas Be My Guide" Dickinson, Murray 3:06
11. "Weekend Warrior" Harris, Gers 5:37
12. "Fear of the Dark" Harris 7:16

Last edited:
Probably the first Maiden album I acquired too. I'm not too sure if I actually bought it.

Last edited:
In order to commemorate the 25th anniversary for Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden has announced that they are gonna play
Fear of the Dark
at their next show!!! :bigsmile:

Spoilers just so nobody gets mad.

The MVP of this album has to be Janick. Even though his name is attached to some of its less popular songs. He really develops his musical personality on this album in a much bigger way than on No Prayer. You could see some of his songs as prototypes for later modern classics.

I remember when I was the youngest regular here. Now I feel comfortably middle-aged.

It would be the sixth album I bought upon release. Didn't carry the same excitement of the first three, but I remember feeling it was a nice comeback from the disappointment of number five.

Now that I think about it, my feelings about every Maiden album today is strongly influenced by how I felt those first few months after I bought it. Only one that's really changed is X Factor, which was much better than I thought.

Back