Official Star Wars Thread

and I'm glad that they're acknowledging that the prequels actually exist.

Casting Jimmy Smits was a small step for Disney, a big step for the prequels in Rogue One.

A film I still hold as one of the best Star Wars-films and the only thing keeping my hopes up for the future of Star Wars. The Force Awakens was a pile of rubbish, completely disregarding what came before... And considering J.J. & Co isn't the ones taking care of the mess, you can't argue that it was especially well planned either. Rian Johnson will either be the lord and savior or the final nail in the coffin for me personally.

I'm a bit worried what they're going to do with Luke. When I grew up with Star Wars in the 80s, Luke was built up to be the 'champion, ultimate hero, and savior' of the SW universe (and that was reinforced again with 30+ years of comics, video games, and books after the OT that basically deified him) so it will feel really off-putting if Disney ends up making him evil or something.

I think Luke will just acknowledge the terrible truth that the Jedi must die out in order to prevent another rise of the Sith. That's maybe why he became a recluse. He knew that training new Jedi would mean more new Sith emerging, seeing there's always a balance of good and evil in the Force.

I'm a bit worried what they're going to do with Luke. When I grew up with Star Wars in the 80s, Luke was built up to be the 'champion, ultimate hero, and savior' of the SW universe (and that was reinforced again with 30+ years of comics, video games, and books after the OT that basically deified him) so it will feel really off-putting if Disney ends up making him evil or something.

Here's what Rian Johnson had to say about Luke in The Last Jedi recently:
EW.com said:
For everyone worried that Luke Skywalker might not have much of a role in the saga going forward, Johnson tells EW that his is the central story. “Figuring out where his head was at was the very first thing I had to do when writing the movie. I had to crack this. And it had to be something for me that first and foremost made sense. Why did Luke Skywalker go off to this island?” Johnson says. “That was the starting point, and that’s what the entire movie explores.”

But … why did Luke run? Shouldn’t he have stayed to fight, to make this atrocity right? Does fleeing make him a coward? “I didn’t want it to,” Johnson says. “There has to be a good reason that makes sense to him — and to some degree makes sense to us.”
And here's another interview on that subject:

I'm not worried about Luke at all. Rian probably nailed that part, since he obviously understands how important it is for fans and for the story itself. Luke's not gonna be evil, that's for sure... ;) From what we've learned thus far, his mindset at the beginning of the film is that Jedi must end and I assume it's because of all the failures. Rey's role in the story is probably to rekindle Luke's faith.

Ok, my only worry is whether or not we're gonna see him use his lightsaber... :bigsmile: I just want to get an action sequence which will be as satisfying as Vader in Rogue One. Hell, they HAVE to show us how powerful Luke is right now.

He was never really that powerful though, his strength lied in being able to turn his father when no one believed it was possible, or even considered the idea. But besides that, in the year between Jedi and TFA he must have become powerful... If they fail to show that, to give him at least one sequence that's just as bad-ass as Vader in Rogue One or Yoda in AOTC - then that is much worse than failing with new characters.

I don't care if he has a big role or not, but please let The Last Jedi be his time to show-off, to be the legend he is. Han got the end he deserved, but using Luke in a similar way would be total blasphemy.

Come on, they already pissed on the chance of having them all 3 on the screen at the same time, one last time.

Based on the films only, I consider Luke to be the most powerful Jedi. I hope this movie reflects that.

If they fail to show that, to give him at least one sequence that's just as bad-ass as Vader in Rogue One or Yoda in AOTC - then that is much worse than failing with new characters.
I would rather see Luke be as powerful and wise as Yoda in Empire Strikes Back rather than as "awesome" as Yoda in Attack of the Clones.

Vanity Fair posted some really cool stuff today! Check it out: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/star-wars-the-last-jedi-cover-portfolio The photos are amazing and the text features some interesting pieces of new information.

star-wars-portfolio-06-2017-ss02.jpg

Have to admit I'm not as optimistic about the Star Wars spinoff films as I was when they were first announced. The Han Solo movie already seemed like a bad idea and this news is not a good sign at all.

Yea, there were things about Rogue One I liked. Great characters, awesome ending, and it was a prequel that didn't wreck the original movies (it actually patched up some of the weaker plot points). However, the story itself was kind of weak and the first half of the movie was very slow. The ending was so good that I was enthusiastic about it immediately after seeing it, but after thinking about it as a whole and comparing it to the whole saga, it's only slightly better than the prequels. Maybe not as good as III. I didn't really have any desire to watch it again when it came out on DVD, as opposed to TFA which I saw twice in theaters and once or twice on DVD.

So I didn't dislike Rogue One, but I wonder if I'd care much for it if it was just a generic space action movie. That combined with the first Star Wars movie I have 0 interest in makes me concerned that Disney are dropping the ball on this.

It feels like Disney is plowing through these at a prodigious rate and the stories are going to suffer. Lucas obsessed over both trilogies with his sweeping vision, and his imagination really showed (even though the PT was poorly executed, Lucas' creativity was still impressive). R1 was good, but it felt like just another good movie that gets lost in the shuffle over time rather than something that's really memorable (good or bad).

Last edited:
Back