Progressive rock / metal

R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth (August 6, 1946 - April 16, 2017).

With enormous sadness I write to express my condolences to Allan's family on the loss of a much-loved father and grandfather, my friend and colleague. For several years in the 1970s, through my own band and 'UK', I listened to him nightly, launching sheets of sound on an unsuspecting audience, changing perceptions about what guitars and guitarists should or could be doing, thrilling me half to death.I would have paid to be at my own gig.

Allan wasn't easy, but if it was easy it wouldn't have been Allan. Like all creative musicians he was restless and relentless in pursuit of 'the perfect sound', the one that he couldn't get out of his head, the one that would never leave him alone. Now he will be at peace. Still, my guitar gently weeps.

Bill Bruford

Holdsworth has been cited as an influence by such renowned rock, metal and jazz guitarists as Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Greg Howe, Shawn Lane, Richie Kotzen, John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Romeo, and Tom Morello. Frank Zappa once lauded him as "one of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet", while Robben Ford has said: "I think Allan Holdsworth is the John Coltrane of the guitar. I don't think anyone can do as much with the guitar as Allan Holdsworth can."

Okay, with these tributes, this man can be called the most awesome guitar player on the planet. Period. Too bad he had to die broke.

"Don't force yourself to listen to more progressive rock than you can take in. Take breaks from it now and again and make sure it doesn't dominate everything you do, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy it. It's not a race"
:)

How to Enjoy Progressive Rock
Progressive rock, also known as “prog rock” or just “prog”, is an absolutely exceptional genre of music, and to many the greatest genre that has ever emerged in the history of recorded sound. Extremely diverse, breathtakingly complex and largely underrated in the world today, it is created by some of the most talented musicians the world has ever known, and many progressive rock songs are excellent examples of immense instrumental and songwriting creativity. But what makes this genre so special, and how does one acquire a taste for it and absorb the huge number of bands in the genre? The trick is to start small – and then take the progressive rock journey.

1 Take into account that that this genre can be overwhelming for first-time listeners. Don't let this turn you away though! It is important to note that many popular classic rock artists, such as The Beatles, Queen and Led Zeppelin, also dabbled in this genre several times. Did you know that Led Zeppelin’s classic track “Stairway To Heaven” is actually a progressive rock song? If you enjoy that song and other lengthy classic rock pieces (such as The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and Dire Strait's "Tunnel Of Love"), there’s a very good chance that you’ll enjoy progressive rock music as well. Also, Pink Floyd, one of the famous bands in music history, are a progressive rock band, though many are not aware of this at first. A basic love of rock music, especially from the 1960s and 1970s, is necessary for one to be able to at first appreciate and go onto enjoy progressive rock. The genre is challenging and requires an open mind.

2 Before listening to the music, learn and memorize the various and styles (or sub genres) of progressive rock, as there are multiple of them:

• Symphonic – Highly influenced by classical music, with complex song structures.
    • Progressive Folk – Features elements of folk, blues, country and world music.
    • Crossover – More accessible, often radio-friendly progressive rock inspired by classic rock and pop.
    • Psychedelic – Features surreal, psychedelic guitars and keyboards and sci-fi elements.
    • Eclectic – Bands in this genre play a broad range of progressive styles.
    • Progressive Metal – A mixture of progressive rock with heavy metal music.
    • Jazz Fusion – A mixture of progressive rock with jazz music.
    • Neo-Progressive Rock – More modern and often highly-advanced progressive rock, largely aimed at veteran fans.
Remember that the styles do not end there. There’s many more – too many to list, and there are still various styles of progressive rock being developed as they constantly cross over with each other to create newer sounds. It can difficult to categorize some progressive rock bands, so sometimes it’s best to just jump in and see what’s there instead of judging

3 Band-wise, start with Genesis. They're considered the most influential progressive rock group to progressive rock lovers. Becoming a big stadium band by the 1980s and exploring almost every style of progressive rock there is throughout their career, they are a band that is in the hearts of music lovers both inside and outside of the progressive rock world.

• To start listening to this timeless band, get hold of their 3-disc compilation "The Platinum Collection" and listen to the three discs in order. The first disc features a lot of their pop music, some of which you may recognize from the radio, but it also contains some progressive rock material, mainly the two-part song "Home By The Sea" which is a highly accessible prog song to get into compared to others.
    • The second disc contains a good mixture of progressive rock and pop music, and this particular disc is great for acquiring a taste in the genre as it’s very accessible and light here, mainly due to the warm vocals of Phil Collins.
    • The third disc is the most challenging – it features just nine tracks from the Peter Gabriel era, with five of them clocking in at eight minutes and over. Start off by listening to the first two discs a few times, and then check out the third disc. It can be overwhelming due to the amount of talent on display and the lengths of the songs, especially on the third one, but don't give up. These songs are very special to many progressive rock fans, and soon you’ll learn to love them.
    • Take note of the fast and complex keyboard solos from virtuoso Tony Banks, Steve Hackett’s usage of melodic guitar to create atmosphere, the intricate drumming from Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford’s clever bass playing and Peter Gabriel’s dark, powerful vocals.
4 Move on to the albums. Once you’ve absorbed and enjoyed the music of the three discs, it’s time to listen to their albums.

• “Duke” is an excellent place to start album-wise because it features the best mixture of their progressive rock and pop music. "...And Then There Were Three..." is also an accessible and highly recommended progressive rock album.
    • Make sure to check out the essential “A Trick Of The Tail” and “Wind And Wuthering” as these two albums arguably contain their most beloved Collins-era pieces and are both considered almost flawless.
    • If these two albums aren’t your cup of tea at the moment, try some of their later albums, like “Invisible Touch” and “We Can’t Dance”, which are very radio-friendly and easy to listen to, but also show off some of their progressive rock capabilities as well, though they are less obvious.
    • Once you’ve absorbed the Collins-era music, move onto the Gabriel-era albums as well. The five albums in this era (“Trespass”, “Nursery Crime”, “Foxtrot”, “Selling England By The Pound” and “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway”) are all recommended here, and require multiple listens as there is a lot of complexity on offer.
    • The Genesis discography is full of extra stuff worth checking out as well, including live albums, B-sides and EP tracks and two multi-disc archive collections.

5 Get into other bands. After getting into Genesis, whose albums hopefully should have given you an interest and hunger for more progressive rock music, try out some of other progressive rock groups from the era. This genre is very diverse and there are many different styles and bands to absorb. All of these bands, all hailing from the United Kingdom, are considered the greatest in the genre, and the ones that will help you advance further into the genre thanks to their albums:

• Yes – Similar to Genesis, this band is famous for their highly complex guitar and keyboard solos. Their songs are often science fiction-themed and are generally funky, eclectic, nonsensical and a lot of fun. Recommended albums are “Fragile”, “Close To The Edge” and “Going For The One”.
    • Pink Floyd – The most commercially successful and well-known progressive rock band, Pink Floyd’s music is highly psychedelic and experimental, with multiple elements of world music and science fiction shining through. Recommended albums are “Atom Heart Mother”, “The Dark Side Of The Moon” and “Wish You Were Here”.
    • Camel – A symphonic/eclectic prog group who are known for their luxurious and soothing guitars, melodic keyboards and proficiency for artful instrumental songs. Recommended albums are “The Snow Goose”, “Moon madness” and “Breathless”.
    • Gentle Giant – This band’s music is easy to get into and yet still very rewarding. Their songs craft an interesting medieval atmosphere, using brass, strings, percussion and woodwind instruments to great effect, and the slightly shorter lengths of their songs make them palatable for new prog fans. Recommended albums are “Three Friends”, “Octopus” and “Free Hand”.
    • Jethro Tull – A progressive folk group, whose songs feature a lot of folk and acoustic elements, woodwind incorporated by famous prog bandleader Ian Anderson, and guitar that ranges from bluesy to heavy. Recommended albums are “Aqualung”, “The Minstrel In The Gallery” and “Songs From The Wood”.
    • The Moody Blues – A crossover group who recorded mostly short and straightforward progressive rock songs that feature classical instrumentation and lyrics that range from poetic to amusing to touching. Another great band for prog newbies, especially those who love the Collins era of Genesis. Recommended albums are “Days Of Future Passed”, “On The Threshold Of A Dream” and “A Question Of Balance”.
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer – A more difficult progressive rock band to get into, ELP’s music is largely based around the pianos and organs of keyboardist Keith Emerson, and their songs are often creatively chaotic and humorously over-the-top. Recommended albums are “Emerson, Lake & Palmer”, "Brain Salad Surgery", “Tarkus” and “Trilogy”.
    • King Crimson – Like ELP, this band may be more difficult to get into, but are considered one of the most important progressive rock bands of all. Their style is mainly eclectic and sometimes jazzy with heavy guitars and a lot of other instruments being thrown into the mix. Like with ELP, their music often gets very chaotic (and sometimes quite scary), so proceed with caution. Recommended albums include “In The Court Of The Crimson King”, “Lizard” and “Larks’ Tongues In Aspic”.
    • Renaissance – With the angelic vocals of Annie Haslam, this is a symphonic prog band who mix a classical style with folk and world music. Recommended albums are "Prologue", "Ashes Are Burning" and "Scheherazade And Other Stories".
... [etc. continue in article]

Genesis is a terrible choice for first band if you're trying to get into prog.

Pink Floyd is easily the best choice.
Agreed, especially if the recommended game plan is to immerse yourself in Genesis before even picking up a Floyd, Tull or Yes album. That's crazy. Gabriel-era Genesis isn't for everyone (I only like some of it).

When I tell people that my favorite genre is prog rock and they ask me to name some bands, Rush always slips my mind for some reason despite being one of my favorites. Can't understand why.

@Mosh @Shadow and others into seventies prog/sympho rock. Not sure if you know Earth and Fire like the vocals but this some bloody good music to check out.
Earth and Fire were a progressive and symphonic rock band who over time evolved into a pop group. Formed in the Netherlands by twin brothers Chris and Gerard Koerts, and most popular in the 1970s when fronted by singer Jerney Kaagman, Earth and Fire had many chart topping hits in the Netherlands and elsewhere in Europe, though they never gained much popularity in England or the Americas.

Very much tongue-in-cheek but hey, it's still enjoyable. Also, the reason I brought it up here is to ask if any of you were familiar with Todd Rundgren's Utopia project. Or Todd Rundgren in general.

Found this today because of the new Iced Earth, and it's really good. Apparently the singer is Dio's cousin or something? Regardless, it's badass and very interesting. Prog-metal with shades of Halford/Ripper.

Found this today because of the new Iced Earth, and it's really good. Apparently the singer is Dio's cousin or something? Regardless, it's badass and very interesting. Prog-metal with shades of Halford/Ripper.

I bought the album this morning. Only had chance to listen to some snippets before work and what I heard I like very much. Also discovered them due to loving the new iced earth album and checking out the new guitarist.

I really hope that iced earth can keep this guy and the current line up stable for a few more albums as this guitar player is fantastic.

Heard a Jethro Tull album I liked: Benefit. Good stuff! Love the dark acoustic driven songs and the Maidenish electric guitar parts.

Back