NOW WATCHING

I really enjoy Arrow. When I first started watching it, I was hesitant. However, it really is very well done. Best action scenes I've seen on a show (and CW show, at that!) since Buffy and Angel. Plus, it's actually well-written and (mostly) well-acted.

I do think that the island flashbacks have gone on for far too long. I'm hoping that they wrap up that plot and move everything to present day next season. Oh, and kill Laurel, please.

Did you give up on Arrow or are you still watching?

Have (re)watched a lot of movies lately. List below, asterisks are movies I've seen for the first time, highlights in red, lowlights in blue.

The Help (2011)
Life of Pi (2012) *
Ben-Hur (1959)
Juno (2007) *
Silence (2016) *
The Bourne Identity (2002)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

The Conjuring 2 (2016) *
Angels & Demons (2009) *
Inferno (2016) *
Hulk (2003)

A Happy Event (2011) *
The Tenant (1976) *
Sully (2016) *
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

I Confess (1953)
Celebrity (1998) *
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
The Nun’s Story (1959) *

Scarface (1983)
Raging Bull (1980) *

Lowlights - Life of Pi had a good idea (in theory) and interesting visuals, but in the end, I don't see the point, nor a reason for re-watching. It's probably not bad, just mediocre, but a rather tiring experience nonetheless. Angels and Demons were probably better than Da Vinci Code, but still pretty stupid and Inferno was some of the worst shit I've seen lately. The Tenant has a good reputation, but I don't really think it's deserved. Third time's not the charm for Polanski, he tries way too hard here, and is way too vague, the movie is overlong for what it is and ... maybe it's a distasteful remark, but for the first time I felt as if I was actually watching a movie made by a rapist. The whole "poor bloke tortured by other people, innocent but suspected etc." had a weird effect on me, expecially as he cast himself as the protagonist. But maybe it's just me. Celebrity was so far probably the worst Allen movie. Even then it was pretty tolerable, but unless endlessly ogling various birds is what you are after (and I'm sorry, but it was obviously the thing on Allen's mind here), you'll be probably disappointed. Also, Branagh is a very good actor, but maybe too good - when he tries to copy Allen's mannerisms, he succeeds completely... and it's weird.

Scorsese's Silence was probably my best cinema experience since A Most Wanted Man, maybe ever. Of course there was only about ten people in the cinema and half of them left before the movie was over. :facepalm: I guess that was expected.

Last edited:
I thought The Tenant was an intense, scary film. The film succeeded in bringing across a claustrophobic atmosphere, you could feel the insanity of the main person. It worked.

I finally saw Anthropoid, I wanted to see it in the theater, but stuff got in the way .. then I saw it on a flight last week. Very good movie about the assassination of Heydrich in Prague. Worth seeing if you have any interest in the topic.

I finally saw Anthropoid, I wanted to see it in the theater, but stuff got in the way .. then I saw it on a flight last week. Very good movie about the assassination of Heydrich in Prague. Worth seeing if you have any interest in the topic.
We've got the DVD, but never got round to watching it. Will get onto it now.

The Dark Tower just got a teaser poster.

2O1oZZc.jpg

Fantastic poster, and while I look forward to the film... This is probably not going to end well, regardless of the quality of the film itself. Myself not included, book fans seem to be bashing the film already because of black main character, not being true to the source material etc. Anyone want to bet on this?

Poster looks good. I just started book 5 (trying to finish before the movies, taking two weeks to read each book so this should be fine) and it's a great story so far.

I have low expectations for the film, but that's based on things other than Roland being black. I don't think the series is unfilmable, but a TV series would work better imo.

Wow, the poster is great!
As for the film, I am going to see it but I can't help but think it will be a disappointment. The topic of casting Idris Elba as Roland was discussed quite indepth some months ago here.

I'm not gonna see it in the cinema, but if it gets good reviews I might see it at home. I was never really interested in the books.

I think Idris Elba will make a great Roland. I am not sure they will write a great Roland for him to be.

The vibe I got from the leaked trailer was that Roland needs to be convinced the world deserves to be saved. As in, Roland's lost faith and Jake is the one driving the story. It's an understandable change if it is indeed like that, but we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Roland in the books goes from cold and willing to sacrifice anyone to reach his goals to more and more human as the story progresses. While it can be discussed, the general sense is that his motivation isn't saving the world, it's only about reaching the tower, for pure selfish reasons. Everything else is secondary.

To fans of the book: Does the trailer give anything away from the last three novels?

To fans of the book: Does the trailer give anything away from the last three novels?

The only thing I could identify belonging to a specific book is Jake's storyline from II and III. But it seems to be mixed up with the same from I... So you'll hardly be spoiled.

I read the book a looooooong time ago ... I just thing the movie will be like trying to do The Stand ... many of his books translate well to movies (or at least should, certainly some were crappy, but they could have been good) .. Dark Tower and The Stand do not seem that way to me

Just saw The Accountant. Full of twists and surprises. Loved it. Besides Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick & JK Simmons also do a good job. Great film about autism as well, but not for kids. Too violent.

Cool, I had no idea they had filmed it. The book is amazing, so I'm hoping they have done a good job out of it.

Back