Vinyl reissues

Yea shipping times aren't a big deal. Well it's almost 2 months out so I'll just wait and see if the US price drops.

One other disadvantage ... if the amazon auto rips mean anything to you, you will not get them if you order from UK

Yea I've never used autorip.

BTW, interesting comment on fb about the absence of the 90s live albums:
EMI still own the rights to A Real Dead One, A Real Live One and Live At Donington '92, thus won't seeing these 3 live albums being re-released on Vinyl. Because of this, the original EMI copies have now become sought after and buffed up in price. The Eddie's Archives box set suffers this as well.

BTW, interesting comment on fb about the absence of the 90s live albums:

That is interesting ... and makes sense. If they had to skip any live albums, those would be the ones I would be least upset about not having, so that works out good.

I have looked at buying Donington (have it on CD, not vinyl) .. too expensive for an album I am not a big fan of. I have Live One/Dead one on picture disc (some South American release) .. that I rarely listen to.

I have the box set stuff, which is really cool .. also on picture disc .. I would love to see it re-released at some point .. especially Hammersmith

Those are all officially released picture discs? Wasn't aware of them.

Ooh, ooh.

Definites-
The Final Frontier. A favourite and my pic disc doesn't play well.
Dance of Death. A special/personal record to me and, again, my pic disc is poor.
Brave New World. Never had the vinyl before. Excited for this.

Maybes-
Matter of Life and Death. My pic disc plays quite nicely. I love the sound but not the songs, bar 'Colours' and 'Light'.
Blaze stuff. 'Cross' is tempting. The chant "Do you think I could save ya" could take on a strange hypnotic quantity whilst watching the disc rotate.

No thanks-
Prayer and Dark. My originals suffice.
Live stuff. My Road and Vivo pics are hardly ever played. Don't have Rio or Flight 666 on vinyl though so possibles if offered.

Lets hope they don't cock it up. Will the box be the correct size? Do they realise Book of Souls is a triple record?

Looking at the tracklistings on amazon, is side 3 of FOTD the worst album side of all time? :D Yikes.

I'd love to see an offical picture disc release of both A Real Live One and A Real Dead One.
If they do ever release these on vinyl, I hope they're separate albums.

Looking at the tracklistings on amazon, is side 3 of FOTD the worst album side of all time? :D Yikes.

I am sure there are worse ... but not much .. though maybe not from a band that generally releases really good stuff

I find it interesting seeing how they divide albums that clearly weren't originally sequenced with that format in mind. FOTD actually divides pretty well, with 3 songs per side. Also Wasting Love works well at the end of side 2. I think Judas Be My Guide would be in this context switched with The Fugitive though.

True .. that really applies for everything released in the CD age .. which is one big flaw of a CD versus an album (or even a cassette/8-track) ... it let bands split up albums into 2 (or more) acts You are right, No Prayer seems much more album paces than what came after it .. not just FotD.

Edit ... add to that the closet you move to the center of the record you lose dynamics ... so the more rocking tracks are better at the edge

Last edited:
Edit ... add to that the closet you move to the center of the record you lose dynamics ... so the more rocking tracks are better at the edge
Yea FOTD does well in that department. ATSS, Wasting Love, and FOTD work well as side closers. Even Apparition is pretty good there. Although just looking at the tracks, I'm thinking some of the sides might run a little short, in which case there won't be that much loss of dynamics.

I get the impression that Maiden still track their albums with the vinyl aesthetic in mind. Obviously TBOS had two discs which gave it a similar effect to a side 1 and 2, but also TFF and AMOLAD feel like there's a 2 act deal going on. The more rocking tracks on the first "side" and the more experimental/proggy stuff on the second "side".

Yea FOTD does well in that department. ATSS, Wasting Love, and FOTD work well as side closers. Even Apparition is pretty good there. Although just looking at the tracks, I'm thinking some of the sides might run a little short, in which case there won't be that much loss of dynamics.

I get the impression that Maiden still track their albums with the vinyl aesthetic in mind. Obviously TBOS had two discs which gave it a similar effect to a side 1 and 2, but also TFF and AMOLAD feel like there's a 2 act deal going on. The more rocking tracks on the first "side" and the more experimental/proggy stuff on the second "side".
That's actually a pretty good point and i've been thinking about it a lot... Maiden do seem to still divide their albums (or think of them) with a side A and B in mind.

Looking at the list .. I think you are right .. I guess FOTD just suffers from not so good songs .. but dynamics-wise, they are in pretty good spots

EMI still having the rights to the Eddie's Archive set pretty much destroys that hope.
Not sure why. EMI isn't making money on it, it's OOP. Assuming people would buy a vinyl Hammersmith reissue (and I think they would), there should be money to be made by both EMI and Universal if they can cut a deal. Or heck, maybe just EMI reissues it separately to compete with the UMG reissues -- if EMI owns the master tapes, presumably it can do whatever it wants with them, unless the contract with the band limits its options.

Back