USA Politics

It would help to know what the reference for "greatness" is, if America is supposed to be great again.

The only argument I can think of that could be construed as America not being "as great" is that they couldn't prevent Russia from getting what they wanted in various issues recently. Georgia, Ukraine, Syria, Iran nuclear deal etc.

Which is ironic since Trump is in a love affair with Russia. So in Trump's sake, that argument goes out of the window.

It plays on the basic emotion of people who think that everyone should be subordinate to USA. E.g. the typical American dumbass. I fail to see when and where USA stopped being great. A lot of people want to get into and live in the USA. USA is everywhere via it's technology, from homes in developed countries, shiny devices in pockets of poor Africans to the drones on surface of nearby planet. Its culture sets trends even in societies such as Iranian, Chinese, Russian. If that's not great, then I don't know what is.

Obama turned resources to Asia, where you have stable countries and diplomacy goes less bombastic than in Middle East. It opened maneuvering space for Syria and its allies. That's it. The effects of Asian pivot will reveal in decades to come, that area is and will be the world's factory for a foreseeable future. Yet Trump supporters/republicans cry defeat. Shortsighted beyond comprehension. I mean, it's easy to play oil business when you have indefinite amount of bombs, you destroy a pipeline and influence the price directly. Leading the global trade market will require a lot more time, effort, tactics, and real diplomacy.

Here's something I've been wondering. Why doesn't the president of Mexico improve the quality of life for people in his own country so they don't have a reason to come here in the first place?

Here's something I've been wondering. Why doesn't the president of Mexico improve the quality of life for people in his own country so they don't have a reason to come here in the first place?

Here's something I've been wondering. Why do people spend their time thinking about such silly things?

Come on Travis. For centuries, the USA has held an image as the land of opportunity, meaning everyone who is willing to work hard is welcome to come there and try to build a future.

And do you really think that if there was a magical trick the president of Mexico could use to massively improve the quality of life for people in his own country, he still wouldn't use it?

What is it that's preventing the Mexico's president from improving things?

And damn, I should have never mentioned that I'm a conspiracy theorist or posted anything relating to it.

And damn, I should have never mentioned that I'm a conspiracy theorist or posted anything relating to it.
Doesn't make what you just wrote about Mexico make more - or less - sense.

Do you know a lot about Mexican politics? I don't, can you educate me? Can you mention what the Mexican president could do to improve quality of life for his citizens? Any suggestions?

I guess getting control with the drug mafia would be a good start, but that doesn't seem particularly easy. Maybe Trump could help him?

It's because I don't know very much about Mexico that I'm on here asking why he doesn't improve the quality of things there or is unable to if that's the case.

Because like the president of the US, the president of Mexico isn't a guy with a wizard robe who can just change the world at will.
The quality of life American suburbia is used to comes from a number of things, such as political stability, good jobs and a developed infrastructure. Mexico has political stability for the most part, but there is still a lot of corruption, and of course the drug mafia. The drug mafia is powerful because they are selling a lot of their drugs to American consumers, which is outside of the power of the president of Mexico. Corruption is something the president of Mexico can't fight alone, he is dependent on the help of people who are often corrupt themselves.
As for the jobs, many Mexicans don't have good jobs because the companies that provide these jobs often don't open businesses in Mexico. The president of Mexico can offer such companies to settle down in Mexico in return for benefits such as tax cuts and lower wages paid to employees. The downside of this is that the jobs of multinational corporations go to Mexico then, and not to America; Americans get angry and try to drive these companies out of business by not buying their products anymore, thus making the Mexicans lose their jobs. The president of Mexico can't do anything about this.
These things are very complex, and to solve these problems, you need countries to cooperate with each other instead of them accusing and blaming each other for their own problems.

Unless you're a native American you have no right to even think that way.

Because like the president of the US, the president of Mexico isn't a guy with a wizard robe who can just change the world at will.
The quality of life American suburbia is used to comes from a number of things, such as political stability, good jobs and a developed infrastructure. Mexico has political stability for the most part, but there is still a lot of corruption, and of course the drug mafia. The drug mafia is powerful because they are selling a lot of their drugs to American consumers, which is outside of the power of the president of Mexico. Corruption is something the president of Mexico can't fight alone, he is dependent on the help of people who are often corrupt themselves.
As for the jobs, many Mexicans don't have good jobs because the companies that provide these jobs often don't open businesses in Mexico. The president of Mexico can offer such companies to settle down in Mexico in return for benefits such as tax cuts and lower wages paid to employees. The downside of this is that the jobs of multinational corporations go to Mexico then, and not to America; Americans get angry and try to drive these companies out of business by not buying their products anymore, thus making the Mexicans lose their jobs. The president of Mexico can't do anything about this.
These things are very complex, and to solve these problems, you need countries to cooperate with each other instead of them accusing and blaming each other for their own problems.
Thank you very much for the explanation Per. Yes, it is a very complex and messed up situation and I now see why it's such a challenge for Mexico's president.

Back