USA Politics

So, according to the White House, the statistics showing the number of new jobs in the US "may have been phony in the past, but it's very real now" :facepalm:

A blogger posted obviously fake news stories on his website, and shared them here and there to test whether hardcore Trump fans would blieve them:

Link to artice (Independent.co.uk)

I'm sure this phenomenon isn't limited to hardcore Trump fans. But it is a great illustration of groupthink as a phenomenon. Tell a group of people something negative about people they dislike, and they are likely to believe it. Therefore, we should always welcome someone playing the role of the Devil's Advocate in a discussion.

Merkel cancelled her trip to the US. The plane was in the air already and returned after an hour. The official reason is the bad weather over there. I've looked at DC forecasts- it doesn't look cozy, but not all that bad either.

FlightAware shows that 1,213 flights are cancelled to and from US airports on Tuesday, with airports like Baltimore/Washington International with 211 flights put on hold. The storm already brought snow to the south, and is moving up the East Coast, expected to start impacting the Philadelphia-Boston corridor Monday night with blizzard like conditions through Tuesday morning. EkosVoice http://ekosvoice.com/2017/03/13/winter-storm-causing-flight-delays-cancellations-across-us.html.

Was all over the news this morning that today is not a good day to fly east

Thanks. I was hoping for an explanation like that.

No problem, I have a flight Wednesday and have been following this closely to see if I need to reschedule some stuff. I'm heading west, but this still jacks things up if planes cannot get out of other airports. So far, looks like I am good.

I have a friend in DC and it sounds like this storm is going to shut down the city for a couple days.

A blogger posted obviously fake news stories on his website, and shared them here and there to test whether hardcore Trump fans would blieve them:

Link to artice (Independent.co.uk)

I'm sure this phenomenon isn't limited to hardcore Trump fans. But it is a great illustration of groupthink as a phenomenon. Tell a group of people something negative about people they dislike, and they are likely to believe it. Therefore, we should always welcome someone playing the role of the Devil's Advocate in a discussion.

QED.

I think all this trump bashing is uncredibly unfair on the man. I dont totally support the man and his stance on everything but good on him for pulling the merkel flight if that is what has happened in this case.the wall on the otherhand is going to cost too many dollars

good on him for pulling the merkel flight if that is what has happened
No, it seems more likely the flight did not arrive due to weather. I can't see avoiding a meeting with literally the most important European leader being a good policy move for any president.

I think all this trump bashing is uncredibly unfair on the man.
It's true, we hardly need to make fun of him in order to make the point. Reality is, he's his own worst enemy (and greatest ally, fantastic combination).

the wall on the otherhand is going to cost too many dollars
Assuming they ever build it, it would cost at least $20 billion: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-wall-exclusive-idUSKBN15O2ZN

And that's just to fence most of the border, not really create a wall. That also doesn't pay to monitor or maintain the wall. And in the end, the return on it will be almost nothing.

I think all this trump bashing is uncredibly unfair on the man. I dont totally support the man and his stance on everything but good on him for pulling the merkel flight if that is what has happened in this case.the wall on the otherhand is going to cost too many dollars

The only thing you support him on in this post is the one thing he's not doing.

Trump has said he will make america great again does it matter how it will be done?? No
I think all the twitter stuff is just to keep people who are in the know in the know.there is a huge amount of great work being done behind the scenes right now no doubt about that.

First of all, the definition of great matters. How do you measure greatness?

If being powerful is the most important measure of greatness, how can you achieve it? Through trade? Military campaigns? Exporting your culture like the US did on a big scale after WW2? Being a country where foreigners seek opportunities for success (and have a fair chance at achieving it) and thus being a country others want a good relation to?

Is it to make your population wealthy? Being looked up to for advances in science and art?

My post may seem to wander in all directions, but this is on purpose. It illustrates that "Make America Great Again" says shit all about what Trump actually wants to achieve, and how.

Back