Black Metal

Who knows Cobalt, from Colorado? The band is a duo. One guy makes all the music. And the other does the vocals.

• Erik Wunder – all instruments
  • Charlie Fell – vocals

I really like this song, from their latest album Slow Forever (2016). Very nice guitar riffs/rhythms. On this album the rhythms are not very black metallish, but the guitars and vocals sure do fit the picture. Enjoy! \m/
@Night Prowler
@SixesAlltheway
@Srogyy

This one is good too, especially from 3:22. Those riffs are fucking great.

Last edited:
Hunt the Buffalo is exactly the sort of song title I'd expect from Colorado Black Metal.

A friend showed me a great documentary the other day. It's about one-man black metal projects led by severely depressed dudes. The Xasthur part is chilling. Be sure to watch all 3 parts.

I used to listen to that stuff when I was little, especially Xasthur. There is a certain unique beauty to that kind of Black Metal but it gets boring at one point, imo. My biggest beef with BM in general is the awful production. I guess you'll need to be severely depressed yourself in order to fully enjoy Depressive Suicidal Black Metal. If nothing else, it is a cool scene - sinister and macabre.

when I was little
What, like 7? :D

I'm not into depressive black metal either. Agreed, it gets predictable and boring. But when you're in a fitting mood it can be pretty immersive. BM production is a whole nother topic. I like when it's treated as art in itself and used to craft a certain atmosphere or channel raw power. My favourite examples of that are usually professionally produced albums made sound like this on purpose.

By the way, I think my favourite DSBM song is this. Some genuinely nice melodies and haunting vocals. It sounds raw and atmospheric without sounding like crap in terms of audio quality.

One of the most epic black metal choruses ever. Actually might be one of the best BM songs altogether. Along with Armada and Crown Of The Kings from this same album.

Partially inspired by a thread about Dance of Death, I'd like to try some more Black Metal. What are the essential bands and albums? I already like Enslaved, particularly the album Frost. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets posted here, as Black Metal is a genre that really interests me.

Arcturus: Aspera Hiems Symfonia and La Masquerade Infernale.
Ulver: Bergtatt, Kveldssanger and Nattens Madrigal
Borknagar: Borknagar and The Olden Domain
Satyricon: Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone
Thorns: Thorns
Gorgoroth: Destroyer
Burzum: everything up to and including Filosofem
Enslaved: Hordanes Land and Vikingligr Veldi to Blodhemn (love all their stuff in fact)

everything by Primordial but especially the first four, Imrama to Storm Before Calm

and a lot more of course

... including Bathory's first six, probably starting with Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death...

Last edited:
Back