Official Hockey discussion thread

Really have not seen him much, but based on his age, this looks like more than a 1 year rental and possibly another trade to follow of one of the Hawks forwards in Rockford (Mcneil comes to mind for sure)

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...roit-red-wings

CHICAGO -- The Blackhawks have acquired forward Tomas Jurco in a trade with the Detroit Red Wings.

Chicago sent a third-round pick in this year's draft to Detroit for the 24-year-old Jurco, who has zero points in 16 games with the Red Wings this season.

The Blackhawks also reassigned forward Vinnie Hinostroza to the minors on Friday. Hinostroza has six goals and eight assists in 48 games with the Blackhawks.

Jurco was selected by Detroit in the second round of the 2011 draft. He has 15 goals and 24 assists in 159 games over four seasons.

Jurco never seemed to make it in the Detroit system. He has a ton of talent, but yeah. Maybe he picks up a few points in Chicago and earns himself a contract somewhere.

I think he is an RFA .. so if the Hawks make him an offer, he is eligible to be exposed to the expansion draft and they can keep Hartman protected .. which they really need to. He has had a good year and makes the letting Shaw go move look really good

2 changes for next year .. I like both

1) Cannot call a timeout after an icing
2) Bye weeks will be over 2 weeks (half the league one week, the other half the next) teams did pretty poorly after the bye this year .. this will even that out

Forgive me for asking such a noob question, but I'm a newly developing fan:

I was reading/noticing that the average line shift for forwards is 45-50 seconds? That seems really, really short (coming from a footie background, it takes players about 5 minutes before they can even acclimate). Is the shift so short for strategy or fatigue reasons? (Or both)? If a team is down a goal with 3 minutes left, would a coach leave his star forward on the ice for the entire 3 minutes to give the team a chance at scoring? Or would he stagger the shifts so that his star has a chance to make an appearance in the last 3 minutes? Just curious...the constant changing over with the squad during the game is interesting to me (and really unique in team sports).

I would really say go to a rink that is 200 feet long and skate full bore up and down a few times ... it is tiring and hard .. then add people trying to check you while you do it. Plus in the NHL playing 82 games a year, plus travel, and plus playoffs.

Towards the end of games that are in doubt you will see coaches keep star players on the ice for longer shifts. Also the shifts depend on how much skating. For example if a team is in their offensive zone for some time, it is more tiring for the defense chasing the puck and the offensive players will stay on the ice longer (especially on a power play). How many stopages of play there are during a shift, etc.

Thanks. That makes sense. I have no frame of reference as I've mostly lived in warm weather climates (and when I was in the UK, it was all football) so I've never skated/experienced the pain of the game.

This really is a team game! It's actually cool to see that many guys sharing time during the game to make it happen.

Yeah, it really is a team game. Pretty much every team has good talent on the top lines. But generally teams that can roll out 4 productive lines and 3 solid defensive pairings are the ones that generally do well in the playoffs as the top players often cancel each other out. The Blackhawks were able to hide their 3rd defensive pairing last time they won the Cup because the top 2 pairings were able to skate an insane amount of minutes .. but that is pretty rare ... you generally cannot get away with hiding players .. they all skate enough minutes to win or loose a game for you

Some interesting things going on right now:
Columbus Blue Jackets going 43-17-6 for 92 points and being just 3 points (tied with Minnesota) behind Washington in the race for the President's Trophy.
Calgary Flames winning streak of 9 games (setting a new club record).
Red Wings will most likely miss the playoffs for the first time since 1990, with a 26-29-11 record.
4 canadian teams are in a playoff spot - last year not a single one of them made the playoffs.

Last edited:
I would absolutely mark out if the Blue Jackets won the President's Trophy. That would be a huge thing for that organization - and if you look at the talent they've acquired through smart drafting and smart trades, they're a team that is poised for success over the next couple years. Could the next huge rivalry be Columbus vs Edmonton? Who'd have thought that.

Seriously, look at the team. Werenski and Jones are studs on D and are going to be spoken of in the same tone of voice people use for Keith/Seabrook right now. Saad is doing well there - clever, clever trade - Boone Jenner looks to be the real deal for a defensive forward. And Atkinson is having a career year. Alexander Wennberg has 53 points in 67 games. All of those players are under 25.

Combine that with clever signings and career resurgences for guys like Sam Gagne and Nick Foligno, then veteran contributions from Hartnell, Johnson, and Dubinsky...yeah. Smart, smart building.

And of course, Bobrovsky has something to do with it.

I'd say it's a tossup between Bob and Dubnyk this year, with Holtby or Talbot rounding out the top three.

Yeah, we had a new high in my league, the guy who has Bob got his recent shutout streak in one week, he had something like 69 points on the week (average score is around 30).

Actual I drafted him as "shit, I am short a goalie" and he was the only clear starter left ... but .. so far as my league knows .. smart drafting on my part and I am in the playoffs

Last edited:
Don't know if any of you caught this, but the world record for longest ice hockey match was smashed Sunday night in Norway. The play-off quarter-final match between Storhamar and Sparta Sarpsborg ended 1-1 and went into extra time. Like in most other professional leagues, extra time in play-offs is played as ordinary 20-minute periods, 5 against 5, first goal wins.

Not until the eleventh period (i.e. the eight period of extra time) did the home team score the winning goal. At that time it was 2:30 AM ...

https://www.nhl.com/news/incredible-hockey-game-in-norway-goes-8-overtimes/c-287656214

The sixth game of the quarter-final series is played tonight ... poor bastards.

The sixth game of the quarter-final series is played tonight ... poor bastards.
Get ready for some sloppy hockey!

Yeah, that's a barnburner. That being said, I can think of a few matchups I'd like to see go that far.

Flames - 10 straight wins! I'm hoping for a playoff run this spring.
Well, the Flames are going to make it, but Brian Elliott is one of the streakiest goalies in the NHL. How deep they go will depend.

Back