Your Maiden blasphemy

What about Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin... Tool?
If everything's full and wide all the time, nothing ebds up sounding full and wide.

In Public Enema Number One there are different rhythm guitars in the verses. Makes it interesting. On the Powerslave album Adrian went more for the longer, open chords (in The Duellists and Rime) while Dave played as fast as Steve. On Somewhere in Time, Adrian waves patterns throughout his rhythm playing.
That's exactly what we want to have more of.

Brave New World is probably the best example where they all do different things in the verses.
Blood Brothers is a very good example of this as well. The rock mix (without any of Jeff Bova's orchestration) shows it more clearly. The combination at 2:56 sounds great for example.

Yes, but BNW tops this imo because there's a melody (J), distortion (H) and cleaner playing (D) (stylewise, and sound/effect-wise all three walk a different path), while in this BB example we have two melodies and distortion.

Yes, but BNW tops this imo because there's a melody (J), distortion (H) and cleaner playing (D) (stylewise, and sound/effect-wise all three walk a different path), while in this BB example we have two melodies and distortion.

I love the live version of BNW from Death On The Road because of that. Listen to it and concentrate on Davey (left). He plays clean basic chords during the verses and it almost sounds like an Rhodes electric piano. It's very subtle, but very effective.

Speaking of developing guitar parts, I think H and Roy Z were much more creative with guitar parts during AOB and TCW than H, Dave and Jan have been on all of the reunion albums.

Reading this debate about 3 guitarists and how maiden uses them has been interesting. Bottom line is though Maiden were never a band about 3 guitars always 2 guitars it's just that when Bruce and Adrian came back no one in the band had the heart to fire Janick. They obviously all liked him and thought his song writing contributions were great so they decided to keep him.

They still write songs in the way they always have which is traditionally for 2 guitarists and then just decide who plays what part. Ever since the reunion I've never listened to Maiden either on record or live and thought "I'm listening to a band with 3 guitar players". I'm my opinion they've never fully utilised or taken advantage of what they could do with 3 guitar players. To my ears if BNW and all the remaining albums since had only used 2 guitar players on them I don't think they would sound any different to what they sound like now. That's not a bad thing. I like that Janick is still in the band he's a great song writer and for me the most skilled guitarist in the band.

To my ears if BNW and all the remaining albums since had only used 2 guitar players on them I don't think they would sound any different to what they sound like now.
That would imply you do not hear some different things going on as described, e.g. on BNW's title track. Because they do not happen on the two guitarist albums, do they?

Bottom line is though Maiden were never a band about 3 guitars always 2 guitars it's just that when Bruce and Adrian came back no one in the band had the heart to fire Janick.
Steve said in the Run to the Hills Biography that if it would not have worked with 3 guitarists, Janick would remain and not Adrian:).

It was definitely mentioned there. I don't have the book on hand but there's a quote talking about Steve giving assurance to Janick he'd stay in the band even if they went back to two guitarists.

Steve said in the Run to the Hills Biography that if it would not have worked with 3 guitarists, Janick would remain and not Adrian:).
Yes but there is another side to it. Bruce demanded H to rejoin as one of his demands for the Maiden camp during the first meeting they (Harry, Rod and Bruce) had. If H hadn't rejoined Bruce wouldn't.

And let's not forget that Steve was not sure that it was the right decision to bring Bruce back before the meeting - at first he thought they would go and look for a completely new singer. In the beginning, he was not sure it was the right decision to dismiss Blaze either.

But here is what I was referring to:
I think Janick was a little nervous to begin with, though - not once the decision was made but while it was being made - but I said, 'Look, this is not an audition, absolutely no way.' I told Janick he was a really important part of Maiden now and, if it means it's not working, that he was the one who stays.
By the time we actually got on a stage together, though, we'd written some songs, done interviews, and it just felt totally natural.

Yes but there is another side to it. Bruce demanded H to rejoin as one of his demands for the Maiden camp during the first meeting they (Harry, Rod and Bruce) had. If H hadn't rejoined Bruce wouldn't.
Really? I read somewhere how Steve said that Bruce didn't demand anything at all to come back.

It would be really interesting to get the full story behind Bruce's return......As far as I can tell this is only discussed in "Run to the Hills"???!!!

Shortly before the reunion there was a news message in Rock Hard magazine about a rumour told by 'insiders'. It said that Steve got a gun put to his head (figuratively speaking) by the other Maiden guys (except Blaze of course), that was basically: either take Bruce back or we'll leave the band. Shortly afterwards the reunion was announced.
That seems unlikely. I could see it from maybe Nicko but definitely not Dave and Janick.

I too would be interested in the full story. It seems like one of the more undocumented Rock reunions.

That seems unlikely. I could see it from maybe Nicko but definitely not Dave and Janick.

I dunno, even if it's kinda hard to see Dave and Janick threatening to leave the band over something like this, I think they could have been persuaded into delivering an ultimatum if the whole band's future was on the line.

I mean, realistically it probably didn't happen, and even if it did there's probably a whole bunch of little details that no outsider knows about, but I do still think it's not completely impossible.

Well I said unlikely. :p

Them backing steve in a corner seems unrealistic, but I wouldn't say it's a stretch to imagine them strongly suggesting that Steve bring Bruce back.

In any case, Steve was probably the last person to be on board with the reunion.

Wasn't it Dave who was the one who said "to hell with Bruce, we don't need him" after FOTD? I thought I read something where Steve mentioned that it was Dave who flying flag at the time as Steve was drained from his divorce. It's hard to see Dave then say "bring him back or else" a few years later.

Then again, the 90s really did suck for the band, and I recall the guys being pretty pissed off in interviews around Virtual XI (abysmal ratings, spartan turnouts in the States/UK, anemic sales probably all contributed). I still remember those dark days pretty vividly and I thought for sure that the band would fade away at the time (and it's literally amazing to me to see how they completely rebounded...and even eclipse their 80s era popularity).

I agree with Mosh that Steve was t likely he last guy on board with Bruce. Even after the reunion, Steve gave him a relatively wait-and-see restrained welcome.

Reactions: jcv
Wasn't it Dave who was the one who said "to hell with Bruce, we don't need him" after FOTD? I thought I read something where Steve mentioned that it was Dave who flying flag at the time as Steve was drained from his divorce. It's hard to see Dave then say "bring him back or else" a few years later.
I've seen comments like that from Nicko, but not Dave.

Reactions: jcv
Back