Official Star Wars Thread

It was pretty clear to me that the people on the balcony looking at the laser were the republican leadership.

Not to mention Hux has a monologue right before that where he explains that they are going to destroy the republic.

I do agree that the Resistance and First Order could've been set up better though. We know that they are this trilogy's version of the Rebellion and the Empire respectively, which is enough to get us through the film's story, but it does leave the questions open of why the rebranding and why is the Resistance not just the Republic army. Maybe these will be answered in future films, but I suspect not.

I had to leave this somewhere.

vlcsnap-2016-09-24-16h29m48s405.jpg

He was great, and I loved his chemistry with Kylo Ren. There was a clear nod to Vader and Tarkin but two completely different characters and a different dynamic between them.

A piece of recent Episode 8 news got me really excited. It appears that John Williams is already scoring the film, because Rian Johnson wants to use the music for editing (via https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/830816741726969856). Now that's really interesting when you think about it. Usually the composer has to work with a more or less finished product and much closer to the release, but in this case it might mean that Rian is letting Williams tell the story to some extent. If that's true then I love this approach, because it shows appreciation of what music brings to Star Wars. Well, obviously it's impossible to make the whole cut of the film around the music and that's definitely not the case, but at least some freedom on Williams' part is added value.

I can't stress enough how much faith I have in Rian Johnson. This might be the best and most original Star Wars film. I mean all I've heard about it and what I've seen from this director thus far is extremely encouraging. That said, I know it's not a given and I'm in for a hell of a disappointment if the film doesn't blow my mind... :p

Looks like The Last Jedi is plural .. which I already assumed. Unless my admittedly poor German reading is not failing me, this looks pretty plural

dieletztenjedi-1_mbnj.png

Yes, it's plural in other languages as well. I'm surprised, to be honest. I liked the idea of singular more, but it's still a great title.

Revisited the interesting fan theory (that allegedly comes from an early draft treatment) that Padme was 'killed by the emperor' instead of a broken heart at the end of ROTS....that he drained her life force to save Anakin and then told Anakin that Anakin was responsible to further fuel his torment. Really intriguing.

I watched the PT again, and horrible acting/dialogue aside, it's actually a really tragic (and good story) that was simply in desperate need of a better director/writer to implement Lucas' great ideas. While Jake Lloyd was horribly cornball in the Phantom Menace, it actually makes Vader's fall that much more tragic (this goofy little boy suffers all of this horrible pain and turns into this twisted entity).

ROTS isn't bad at all. It is plagued with a lot of the same problems as the other two movies, but it overcomes those problems in a lot of ways. Still, it is part of a trilogy with a foundation that was so damaged that it negatively affects the final film. No matter how good ROTS was, it was never going to be able to jump over that hurdle. It also seems obvious that the story in ROTS is the only one Lucas was passionate about telling. Everything prior was filler.

BTW, what is everybody's ranking of the Star Wars movies after Rogue One has had time to marinate?

Empire
New Hope
Force Awakens
Jedi
Sith
Rogue One
Menace
Clones

ROTJ was the first movie that I ever saw in the theaters when I was a kid so it will always get my nostalgic vote (lame Ewoks and all), but Empire is still my overall winner.

I still like Rogue One, but after letting it sink in, I don't think it's in my top tier.

Empire
Jedi
TFA
A New Hope
Sith
R1
Clones
Menace

I remember even as a kid not caring for the ewoks. Mostly because I found the scenes they were in to be pretty boring. I vividly remember fast forwarding through the Endor scenes on the VHS. :D

I've never been able to come up with a ranking, because I genuinely love all of them (as corny as it sounds). Each for different reasons perhaps. I think I can say RotS and TESB are my two favourites, but after that it becomes difficult to tell. For example I can point out quite a few things I dislike about TFA, yet I feel like rewatching it all the time and always love the experience. It's a controversial thing to say, but I think ANH might be my least favourite just because it's not fully developed Star Wars yet IMO. But then it's obviously a masterpiece that started everything, so... there you go, I wouldn't know how to rank them.

I definitely can't rank them. Regardless of how good they are the two newest flicks are still so new. I have actual emotional attachments to the original trilogy that date back to early childhood. Realistically, Rogue One and TFA are probably better than Jedi and maybe even ANH, but I just couldn't rank them that way.

My fake ranking is:

Empire
ANH
Jedi
---
Rogue One/TFA
---
prequels

ROTS isn't bad at all. It is plagued with a lot of the same problems as the other two movies, but it overcomes those problems in a lot of ways. Still, it is part of a trilogy with a foundation that was so damaged that it negatively affects the final film. No matter how good ROTS was, it was never going to be able to jump over that hurdle. It also seems obvious that the story in ROTS is the only one Lucas was passionate about telling. Everything prior was filler.

BTW, what is everybody's ranking of the Star Wars movies after Rogue One has had time to marinate?

Empire
New Hope
Force Awakens
Jedi
Sith
Rogue One
Menace
Clones

Only change I would make is switching Menace and Clones. Clones is much darker and to me feels more like the OT than Menace.

I definitely can't rank them. Regardless of how good they are the two newest flicks are still so new. I have actual emotional attachments to the original trilogy that date back to early childhood. Realistically, Rogue One and TFA are probably better than Jedi and maybe even ANH, but I just couldn't rank them that way.

My fake ranking is:

Empire
ANH
Jedi
---
Rogue One/TFA
---
prequels

Yeah - not only is the OT entrenched in my childhood psyche, but we always had the OT on in the background during the holidays in my house (and I've continued the tradition with my own kids) so now I have all of those memories added in as well. Disney could make a SW film that is the caliber of citizen Kane and it still probably wouldn't earn my top spot.

(Ironically, the same can be said about some Maiden albums for me for similar reasons).

Favourite to least favourite (really, the only rank I'm dead set on is the last):

Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
The Phantom Menace
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
The Force Awakens

Back