European Politics

Last night the main suspect was shot dead in a suburb of Milan.

He was was stopped during routine control on a square. When he was asked for ID he pulled a gun and shot the officer in the shoulder. In the following firefight he died.

edit:
A German press conference has started here: link to Dutch site broadcasting this as well (if it works for people outside my country).
Until now it consists of bureaucratic answers, mainly about communication. Apparently some German officials from the government haven't been properly informed; or some Verbindungsbeambte is not taken serious or official enough to get into details. Germany doesn't have an official confirmation from Italy.

Meanwhile:

De Italians paper Corriere della Sera writes that the pistol that was used in Milan is the same as the one the Polish driver was killed with. This morning the confirmation about the fingerprints arrived.

On the body of the suspect a train ticket was found. From Chambery (France) to Turin (Italy). Later in the night, the suspect arrived in Milan. According to the head of Italian anti-terror department, the suspect would have wanted to travel to South Italy.

Last edited:
Good that they got him already. Much better than going into the holidays knowing that he was alive, free and possibly ready to carry out a new attack somewhere.

So a politician from the German right-wing AfD held a speech in Dresden in which he called his party "the last revolutionary, peaceful chance for our fatherland", and all the media took from the speech is an ambiguous statement about the Holocaust memorial in Berlin.

Nobody has the right anymore to ask how or why the Nazis could rise to power. We have it laid out for us right here.

What I meant to say was, I wish people wouldn't talk so much about his Holocaust remarks and look at the rest of the speech - it was much worse. By my reckoning, he put that part (the Holocaust remarks) in the end because he knew that's what everyone would pick up, and that's why he worded it ambiguously. He knew it would overshadow the meat of his speech, in which he basically made thinly veiled allusions to overthrowing the democratic system, if necessary by force.

C2lGlfgUUAAKE6B.jpg

@The Flash I'm quite interested in your opinion on this.

The political party that I support started it, so. Worth saying though, that Gezi Park protests in 2013 also started in the same manner and it didn't stop the police from intervening.

Really, the only efficient "protest" is to vote no in the upcoming referendum. It's a massive turning point for the country, for better or for worse.

It's official. Turkey is going to a referendum on 2 April 2017 to vote whether or not to switch to "Turkish style executive presidency".

You know what "Turkish style executive presidency" is a euphemism for.

Last edited:
More Twitter censorship.

The saddest thing is, I was on his livestream a couple of days ago.

It's entirely possible the guy was banned by an automated process by someone reporting the very racist things that get posted in reply to many of the things he said, the same way DCMA takedowns pull things off YouTube without checking the content.

Back