Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My 12 year old brother just beat me twice in a row in FIFA, 2:3 and 1:4. I never ever let him win any games against me even when he was much younger and he ripped me to shreds in the 2nd game.

latest

Large temperature ranges are not very uncommon far inland. The record for extremes within one year are something like +40 to -70 in a town in Siberia. In Norway, you have some places that hit 30+ during summer and -40 during winter. Typically, in the regions just east of the mountains.

This is the case here as well, in the Northeastern parts of the country. 30+ in summers, -30 in winters.

So yesterday was Serbian Christmas. I'm going back home from visiting grandparents and I'm waiting for the bus. Ghost town outside. So a bus that's not the one I want stops at the bus stop and only a really old lady is getting out. But she's taking friggin' forever, so the driver just starts the bus and gets into 2nd gear while the lady is still on the steps getting out. She's standing on the last step and the bus is already speeding away but instead of getting back into the bus like any sane person would do, the lady tries to jump out of a speeding vehicle. (Pensioners here are deathly afraid of missing their stop, I guess.) Obviously falls onto the concrete screaming beneath the bus, but luckily the driver slams the brakes and doesn't run her over. Then they all got out to help her and I got into the bus I wanted. The end.

So yesterday was Serbian Christmas. I'm going back home from visiting grandparents and I'm waiting for the bus. Ghost town outside. So a bus that's not the one I want stops at the bus stop and only a really old lady is getting out. But she's taking friggin' forever, so the driver just starts the bus and gets into 2nd gear while the lady is still on the steps getting out. She's standing on the last step and the bus is already speeding away but instead of getting back into the bus like any sane person would do, the lady tries to jump out of a speeding vehicle. (Pensioners here are deathly afraid of missing their stop, I guess.) Obviously falls onto the concrete screaming beneath the bus, but luckily the driver slams the brakes and doesn't run her over. Then they all got out to help her and I got into the bus I wanted. The end.

...such is Serbian Christmas.

The roads must be in a dreadful state in those regions.

Not really, because the climate is pretty dry in those areas (so not so much water in the ground that can swell during winter and ruin the roads)-

Actually, the worst cases of frost heaving ruining roads have been new roads where the entrepreneurs had miscalculated how much drainage would be necessary. Some of these cases are quite recent, too.

If you're British and into rock music in general and of a certain age (say, over 35), you will undoubtedly have a soft spot for Status Quo. The passing of Rick Parfitt just before Christmas was really sad and it would have been felt deeply by anyone who falls into the category above. I don't know how popular the Quo is outside of the UK, I understand they are popular in Germany, but, just like Maiden, they have the most loyal fans of all. I admit, they have had some stinkers before now (Margarita Time? What a pile of crap) but they have written some cracking tunes. Here's one, Big Fat Mama with Mr Parfitt on the vocals:

Some say he was the greatest rhythm guitarist in the world, what do you guys think?

Point of interest, the Quo are playing the Brentwood Festival this year as the headline act on the Saturday, I think I'll go to that. I'm kicking myself for not going to last year to see Level 42.

If you're British and into rock music in general and of a certain age (say, over 35), you will undoubtedly have a soft spot for Status Quo. The passing of Rick Parfitt just before Christmas was really sad and it would have been felt deeply by anyone who falls into the category above.
Nope.
Some say he was the greatest rhythm guitarist in the world, what do you guys think?
I think those people were drunk.
Point of interest, the Quo are playing the Brentwood Festival this year as the headline act on the Saturday, I think I'll go to that.
Minus the greatest rhythm guitarist in the world?

If you're British and into rock music in general and of a certain age (say, over 35), you will undoubtedly have a soft spot for Status Quo.
LOL. Older age group, maybe? :p

Status Quo come across to me as very generic blues-inspired old style rock. They do have distinctive riffs which some might regard as iconic, but post-70s they churned out samey stuff that went into pure self-parody at times. It's a band that's instantly identifiable by its riffs, but I'm not sure that makes their rhythm guitar player the best. I'll forgive them In The Army Now, but that wasn't their song in the first place.

Is this one of the stinkers you were thinking of?

Back