The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

More on guitars on this tour.

Dave - His main guitar is now a black 70's reissue Stratocaster with rosewood fingerboard that can be seen in New Year's eve videos with Alice Cooper. The pickups have been changed to all white. His Secondary guitar is a Les Paul Axcess with Seymour Duncans.

Adrian - He uses two AS Jacksons with ebony fingerboards for standard tuning. One is 2008 prototype and the other is a standard production model. He switches them every few songs (prototype on SOL, COTD, production model on TOAC,TRATB), although it seems he still prefers the prototype, which has been his main guitar since 2008 (it is used on more songs). You can distinguish them by looking at the end of headstock, the prototype says Custom Shop instead of his signature. His main drop-d guitar is still the maple 2008 prototype AS. On FOTD and IM he uses Gibson Slash AFD Les Paul in Rosso Corsa with the Slash logo covered with tape (similar to what John Norum did on his Slash LP).

Janick - His three main cable guitars are still the black and white strats and the sunburst Sandberg. The creme strat is still his main wireless guitar and the "White Spirit" white strat is still used on IM. He also plays a black Epiphone Black Beauty 3 Les Paul in drop d.

12321650_10153362342867967_3992155371915843382_n.jpg

Jan's Black Beauty

12122711_10153362342772967_633764499018793642_n.jpg

Dave's main strat.

1549236_10153362342197967_4845075054600436599_n.jpg

Adrian with the 2008 prototype.

1929852_10153362343222967_4876889850136982244_n.jpg

And with the production model.

I am so fucking excited for the show in Tulsa tomorrow! This will be my first time seeing Maiden. I have a GA ticket and I was hoping to win FTTB but I didn't. If anyone has a spare, please let me know. Seeing Maiden for the first time from the barrier would be fucking amazing! :D

More on guitars on this tour.

Dave - His main guitar is now a black 70's reissue Stratocaster with rosewood fingerboard that can be seen in New Year's eve videos with Alice Cooper. The pickups have been changed to all white. His Secondary guitar is a Les Paul Axcess with Seymour Duncans.

Adrian - He uses two AS Jacksons with ebony fingerboards for standard tuning. One is 2008 prototype and the other is a standard production model. He switches them every few songs (prototype on SOL, COTD, production model on TOAC,TRATB), although it seems he still prefers the prototype, which has been his main guitar since 2008 (it is used on more songs). You can distinguish them by looking at the end of headstock, the prototype says Custom Shop instead of his signature. His main drop-d guitar is still the maple 2008 prototype AS. On FOTD and IM he uses Gibson Slash AFD Les Paul in Rosso Corsa with the Slash logo covered with tape (similar to what John Norum did on his Slash LP).

Janick - His three main cable guitars are still the black and white strats and the sunburst Sandberg. The creme strat is still his main wireless guitar and the "White Spirit" white strat is still used on IM. He also plays a black Epiphone Black Beauty 3 Les Paul in drop d.

12321650_10153362342867967_3992155371915843382_n.jpg

Jan's Black Beauty

12122711_10153362342772967_633764499018793642_n.jpg

Dave's main strat.

1549236_10153362342197967_4845075054600436599_n.jpg

Adrian with the 2008 prototype.

1929852_10153362343222967_4876889850136982244_n.jpg

And with the production model.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of Jan with the Gibson Chet Atkins acoustic electric, too, the one he used for Dance of Death in the past. I assume he played it on the Book of Souls intro

I'm sure I've seen a pic of Jan with the Gibson Chet Atkins acoustic electric, too, the one he used for Dance of Death in the past. I assume he played it on the Book of Souls intro

Yes the Chet Atkins on TBOS for Jan and an Ovation acoustic 12-string on COTD for H.

Nice footage. I see what people are talking about regarding Bruce's voice on The Book of Souls now. He's either genuinely struggling or backing away from the higher notes to avoid straining himself. The song still works very well, but it's a bit of a pity, I see that song as the centrepiece to the show, if not the album.

Two setlist observations -

1. This is the most balanced album tour setlist I've seen from them since maybe Brave New World. A great mix of all (except Empire) of my favorite new songs as well as a few old surprises. First album tour to see Powerslave since, well, Powerslave. Awesome choice!!

2. When was the last tour we heard nothing from Seventh Son? Early days? Seems surprising - they must have gotten tired of playing those songs for the last 2+ years.

Powerslave has been played since the Powerslave tour. On the Somewhere Back In Time tour and the Ed Huntour.

I am very excited to see Maiden in Chicago in April! Although I must admit being disappointed that the two "surprise" tracks that we were teased about ended up being played live 7 years ago. That's not a long time. Should have been tracks NEVER played before or in over a decade at least.

Nice footage. I see what people are talking about regarding Bruce's voice on The Book of Souls now. He's either genuinely struggling or backing away from the higher notes to avoid straining himself. The song still works very well, but it's a bit of a pity, I see that song as the centrepiece to the show, if not the album.

Yeah... Kinda scary.

Has to be said, his voice is an awful lot better than it might have been. I'm sure I'm not the only one who worried that he might not have been able to sing again, let alone belt out Maiden's tougher stuff in his usual style.

Some of my thoughts after watching bits of Ft. Lauderdale footage:

Stage looks so amazing, one of the best out of recent album tours. Great backdrops. Those hanging jungle vines are a nice detail. Vibe is very nice in general. Eddie looked cool, but some of his obscene gestures didn't fit TBoS at all... I think I'd prefer him appearing on a different song. (I'm wondering if they'll upgrade the big Iron Maiden Eddie later on - I expected him to hold a heart or something like that.) What also didn't fit TBoS IMO was the blue light, but that's a minor thing... I guess they are going for the look of the backdrop artwork with blue background, but I 'imagined the song' in warmer colours. I'm tired of blue, they use it a lot. It's probably just me, though. I love the show's intro, it's epic. I was very surprised that Bruce actually appeared and sang to it. It would probably sound better if he wasn't overdubbed by the tape, but who knows, maybe it helps him keep the tempo since there's no beat. Show-wise it's perfect. And I like the hoodie. :p

New songs sound great, Bruce nails them for the most part (given his age and illness). Guitars are fantastic (solos sound very inspired), Nicko is still solid. It's interesting to see Janick with a Les Paul but bloody hell - it doesn't fit him! :bigsmile: It's also interesting that apparently it's an Epiphone. I don't like Dave's new Strat with this ugly 70s headstock. :p As I had mentioned somewhere before - Bruce sounds like there has never been any cancer. He strains, but not more than we've already seen. I was surprised how well he sang Speed of Light and TBoS chorus exceeded my expectations (lots of straining but overall it was good IMO). TRatB sounds the most difficult for him. Now the question is - will future gigs wear him down or will he keep getting better at some of the difficult moments. Usually it's the latter, let's hope for it.

Setlist is OK, it flows very good. Besides new songs, Powerslave and CotD are obviously the highlights, I'm very glad they picked them. It's interesting (and great!) to see WY as the closer, but I'd like to get something different than BB (ideally, I would replace it with Breeg). I doubt the setlist will change because of how they advertised it on social media. (RIP spoiler-sensitive people).

DVD, PLEASE.

Btw. has anyone posted the full concert here already? You can't see anything, but audio is pretty good.

Pretty much agree with everything there @Srogyy , yes he strains his voice on some of the songs but previous couple of tours weren't perfect from him either. I'm sure as the tour goes on he learns how and when to save his voice.

Back