The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I was really hoping for "Flight Of Icarus." I'll never understand Steve's aversion to playing that song.

From the new album, I'm disappointed by the exclusion of "The Great Unknown" and "Shadows Of The Valley." Hoping they play at least one of those in place of "Tears Of A Clown" in the US. I figured "Death Or Glory" was going to be in the set.

Glad to see "Children Of The Damned" return though...and I wanted to see "Dance Of Death" live, but you can't have it all. Overall, it's a good set list IMO.

So, I've only seen this setlist up on Imgur; which is simply an image hosting site. Where is the original posted? Did this public posting of setlists happen when other Western bands played in China? i.e. does this follow form? I haven't seen anyone here discuss any of this.

We know Maiden have rehearsed songs before & they haven't worked; they've not taken them out on tour. This setlist was almost certainly agreed upon before rehearsals. We know Maiden have dropped some songs very early in previous tours. They're saying six tracks from BoS. Bruce hasn't sung with the band since he had cancer. Nobody think these things might be an issue, in terms of this setlist not actually happening as listed?

Lastly, is the consensus that this is the setlist for the whole tour? I mean, Maiden don't have great form in mixing up setlists mid-tour.

Since those letters next to the setlist translate basically to "playlist within allowance" I am also one that very much doubts this will be the tours setlist. There are some songs in there that I dont think even they would want to play but, aside from the censorship issue, it is also the first time they play in China so they selected fan pleasers instead of the ones that got censored

I'm excited.

1. I think it is legit.
2. I think 14 of the songs will be the same for the rest of the tour.
3. I think Blood Brothers and Wasted Years are the exception for China.
4. I think Wasted years will be the closing song in China and the rest of the tour it will be Heaven Can Wait. Both share similar themes, however can't sing Heaven Can Wait in China, and I think Bruce would find it fun to close the show on each night given this last year.
5. As someone else has said, Blood Brothers will probably be These Colours Don't Run for the rest of the tour. Because why 3 songs from Brave New World and none from A Matter of Life and Death? Plus Blood Brothers seems really appropriate for China considering the situation and not having played there before. Drive home the fact that despite political difference, we're all the same.

Those are just some thoughts. And I'll say it again. I'm excited. If this is the set list, it's better than I was realistically hoping for. Can't wait.

Hard to say if that leaked set from China is for real. There are a lot of people out there who like to pass fake stuff around. Remember all the fake stuff before the album release? It is a great set if it is for real though.

Very happy with this set list, whilst recognising that it is unlikely to be played in the order shown.

Many thanks to Night Prowler for posting the source of the document, that has made it appear much more legit.

Hard to say if that leaked set from China is for real. There are a lot of people out there who like to pass fake stuff around. Remember all the fake stuff before the album release? It is a great set if it is for real though.

I don't know how could a fake document end on Bejing's goverment site.

With the source posted this definitely looks legit.
And two songs have been pulled out of the setlist and BB/WY have been included. That's the only reason I can think of, on why those two are on top of posted setlist.

IMHO, the first 5 should be a blast; IESF to Book Of Souls. Then the remainder of the setlist has only one song I'm interested in, and that's TOAC.

I'm excited.

1. I think it is legit.
2. I think 14 of the songs will be the same for the rest of the tour.
3. I think Blood Brothers and Wasted Years are the exception for China.
4. I think Wasted years will be the closing song in China and the rest of the tour it will be Heaven Can Wait. Both share similar themes, however can't sing Heaven Can Wait in China, and I think Bruce would find it fun to close the show on each night given this last year.
5. As someone else has said, Blood Brothers will probably be These Colours Don't Run for the rest of the tour. Because why 3 songs from Brave New World and none from A Matter of Life and Death? Plus Blood Brothers seems really appropriate for China considering the situation and not having played there before. Drive home the fact that despite political difference, we're all the same.

Those are just some thoughts. And I'll say it again. I'm excited. If this is the set list, it's better than I was realistically hoping for. Can't wait.
I'm thinking this setlist is too long, and these are the songs they'll rehearse before the tour. The setlist will most likely consist of songs from this list, but maybe with less songs. Maybe a 14 or 15 song setlist? Blood Brothers and Wasted Years might be replacement songs in case one of the new songs don't work live?

I'm thinking this setlist is too long, and these are the songs they'll rehearse before the tour. The setlist will most likely consist of songs from this list, but maybe with less songs. Maybe a 14 or 15 song setlist? Blood Brothers and Wasted Years might be replacement songs in case one of the new songs don't work live?

It's obvious that one of the encore songs was replaced... So I think they will rehearse 18 songs and choose between them. I am also interested when does HCW contest come out if they are doing HCW. When was the contest opened on past tours?
And yes, the setlist was approved... I translated the document (in Google) , and it says that.

Anyway here is the set with our speculations what could be played in the rest of the world. (BB is placed where I think it would be).

1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Speed Of Light
3. Children Of The Damned
4. Brave New World
5. The Book Of Souls
6. The Trooper
7. Blood Brothers/These Colours Don't Run/Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg/Coming Home (maybe Chinese could have problem with "To Albion's land, coming home...)
8. The Red And The Black
9. Death Or Glory
10. The Wicker Man
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden
-----------------------
14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Tears Of A Clown
16. Wasted Years/Heaven Can Wait/Sanctuary/Running Free

It's obvious that one of the encore songs was replaced... So I think they will rehearse 18 songs and choose between them. I am also interested when does HCW contest come out if they are doing HCW. When was the contest opened on past tours?
And yes, the setlist was approved... I translated the document (in Google) , and it says that.

Anyway here is the set with our speculations what could be played in the rest of the world. (BB is placed where I think it would be).

1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Speed Of Light
3. Children Of The Damned
4. Brave New World
5. The Book Of Souls
6. The Trooper
7. Blood Brothers/These Colours Don't Run/Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg/Coming Home (maybe Chinese could have problem with "To Albion's land, coming home...)
8. The Red And The Black
9. Death Or Glory
10. The Wicker Man
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden
-----------------------
14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Tears Of A Clown
16. Wasted Years/Heaven Can Wait/Sanctuary/Running Free

That's it. I really think the setlist won't be different from what you posted. There's also a possibility that 2 minutes to midnight was replaced with blood brothers on chinese setlist, because it would obviously be banned, right? I hope not, because 2 minutes to midnight is as overplayed as fear of the dark. Anything from AMOLAD/TFF would be much better.

My opinion about the setlist:

Positive points:

1) 6 songs from The Book of Souls. That's really good. I expected they would play 5. Tears of a clown is a good surprise for me.
2) Children of the Damned and Brave New World - Let's say they are 2 uncommon songs that will be played. They are also welcome, in my opinion.

Negative points:

1) The fact that the "rare" song Bruce talked about is Children of the Damned. I love the song and I really want to see it live, but when he said "rare" I expected something like Infinite Dreams, Sea of Madness or Flight of Icarus. Something like that.
2) The Wicker Man - It's a cool song, we all love it. But we had it on TFF world tour. Why not something a bit different, really? Rainmaker? Ghost of the Navigator? The Mercenary? I'm not even asking for something really different or something that has never been played before. Just a bit different.

Overall:
Really nice that they will play 6 songs from TBOS plus a good yet tiny surprise as Children of the Damned, but at the same time, the vast majority of the setlist is more of the same. No rare songs and (ofc) no songs that have never been played before. Could be so much better. Add Flight of Icarus and any song that was never played before and everybody would be 100% happy. And I mean 100% happy. But well... It's classic Maiden and its conservatism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back