Now Playing (Video Games)

Since the MLG Columbus CS:GO major starts today, I will ask what I have long been wondering: am I the only one here who pays attention to the CS:GO pro scene? Would be cool to discuss it with someone else.

Well I did some CS:GO online but I'm a noob. I did CS original in LAN.
CS:GO / DotA world championship finals were here two weeks ago. I wanted to go but I thought that's going to be a mega LAN party over there, not couple of thousand kids sitting down in arena watching at big screens.

Now get off my lawn.

Split, Croatia, weekend about three weeks ago? I thought you would know more, I think this was pretty high profile since win prizes were well into hundreds of thousands of dollars domain. I think it was $200k for DotA #1 alone.

DoTA has much larger prize pools than CSGO (200k is not much for #1 in DotA). It could not have been a large tournament for CS because the last one before today was about two weeks ago in Katowice. It's possible there were some less well known teams competing in Croatia.

CS:GO was this http://www.counterpit.com/
Croatia hasn't got a big gaming scene cause it's got 4m people and an old population. There were only several Croats as competitors, the guy from Split playing DotA described his team as top in Europe, attendance was about 15.000 in 2 days so I guess it's not that less known event...I have a beard but for christ's sake 'e-sports' haven't got football numbers yet, full arena has to be some top tier competition.

How long are you playing CS:GO?

Some top tier teams in there, mostly random ones though. The biggest CSGO country is Sweden, home to Fnatic and NiP, the first being world's best currently and the latter formerly. France, Poland and Denmark have many big names as well.

I started playing in August 2014 and started following the pro scene about a month later. Currently haven't played for about 3 weeks though.

I guess you're good then. I only play sporadically. It's hard to me to tame my Unreal Tournament mentality :)

Cleveland is a monster. I run a NY, Cleveland, and I'm just about to upgrade my Nicholas DD. Looking forward to that! I also still play my Warspite quite a bit.

Playing exclusively with the Americans, I see.
I presumed I'm going to favour their ships too, tried to introduce diversity but failed. I opted for U.S. BB and CG, Russian DD and, German and Japanese CG. Anyways the plan failed, resource wise, especially when I decided I won't sell Cleveland once Pensacola was bought.
Right now I'm New York, Cleveland, Pensacola, Bogatyr (Tier III Russian cruiser, new branch in game) + Haruna which is basically fully upgraded premium Kongo with nice camo and stupid Manga captain :D

Gonna push my way with American and Russian cruisers, try to upgrade U.S. BB as a low priority due to cost and grind $ with Haruna.
Btw, have you played any similar games, regardless if they're MMO?

Finally bought a laptop that can support some newer games. Will buy FIFA 17 when it's released next month, so just played the demo of FIFA 16 to see the improvements they made since FIFA 14 (last one I was able to play).

It's fantastic. Apart from shooting which looks a bit weird everything is much smoother and better designed, crossing in particular.

That's awesome man. Recently picked up Bloodborne for PS4, it's pretty fun. I don't really play video games too much so I only play for about 4/5 hours a week I guess. It has a really neat atmosphere to it, and I love putting on Sign of the Cross whenever I play it lol.

Finally bought a laptop that can support some newer games. Will buy FIFA 17 when it's released next month, so just played the demo of FIFA 16 to see the improvements they made since FIFA 14 (last one I was able to play).

It's fantastic. Apart from shooting which looks a bit weird everything is much smoother and better designed, crossing in particular.

You're living away from home, I presume? Gaming laptops are really poor bang-for-buck against proper desktops.

Like, ship combat games? Not really.

Do you want to play division sometimes?
I have Molotov on tier 6 so that can team up well with the Warspite.

I had interesting two months at this game, spent a lot of money tho :D Entered ranked battles pretty late, ended up on rank 8 being in top 25% which isn't really something to brag about but it's cool for me. Played ranks with New Mex up to 13 and then with Colorado.

Current fleet : Orlan, Mikasa, Tachibana, Haruna, Hiei, Kirishima, Molotov, Haguro, Ashigara, Tirpitz, North Carolina, Chapayev and Iowa. All ships fully upgraded with significantly developed captains.

You're living away from home, I presume? Gaming laptops are really poor bang-for-buck against proper desktops.
Nah, I live at home, I just prefer laptops because they take up less space. I know that desktops are better though :D Once I get my own place in a couple of years, I might get a desktop again... or I'll just have more money to spend on a gaming laptop :D

LC, my handle is zb10948 so you can add, and we can play if we're both up at the same time.

Nah, I live at home, I just prefer laptops because they take up less space. I know that desktops are better though :D Once I get my own place in a couple of years, I might get a desktop again... or I'll just have more money to spend on a gaming laptop :D

I've yet to see a 'gaming' laptop that can cope with cutting-edge binge gaming. A buddy has a $3K laptop which won't run Project Cars at meaningful FPS because it overheats. Even with a 'official' fan stand.
I don't have a gaming machine per se, I always build an analog of old workstations with a good GFX inside. My current config is built around i7 5820K, last summer. Haswell-E was new on market and there were just three mainboards available at that moment, in local shops. I took the most expensive, but not the 'most performant for gaming'. $350 for board that went thermal testing and has certification and rating for all it's passive electronics. Which is the most important thing, because chipsets and controllers are standard. Where vendors and models differ, is this pure auxiliary electronics build quality.

In any case, you won't get that build quality out of a laptop. You never could and you never will. It's just a physical form factor thing.

However, my computer has its own living space so your mileage may vary ;)

I trust your judgement :) If I were to get a desktop again, I'd like to build that fancy thing where you bolt it to the wall and all cables are neatly sorted and in different colors etc.

I've installed Diablo III few days ago. I don't know if I've played Diablo II:LoD the wrong way or the latest Diablo III patches have been really outstanding but it's incredibly fun AND easy. I'm definitely going to buy Reaper of Souls as soon as I finish 4th act. Ah, the memories came back when Dance of Death came out while I was playing Diablo II and listening to Imaginations from the Other Side from Blind Guardian on Lord of Destruction... Time flies...

Sucks not having a reliable internet connection, so time for another novel as to what I've been up to. It's been quite some time, but I finally finished my NHL 15 season. I became competent enough to finish first in the league and my first line ended in the top 20 league wise with one in the top 10. Stamkos won the Richard trophy and Crosby the Art Ross... fairly realistic if you ask me lol. I also managed to win the Stanley Cup, something I was not expecting on my first run. It was VERY rewarding. After sweeping the Maple Leafs in the first round every round after that went to seven games. For the first time since playing this series of games I wasn't sure if I'd actually win a series, much less the cup. What made it even cooler was that in the conference final I faced the Penguins (I was playing the Bruins). My brother always played the Penguins and I the Bruins. He ALWAYS won at EVERYTHING, and in the NHL games (starting with 95) he always won the president's trophy along with most of the individual awards. Yet I won the Cup with Boston 3 seasons in row, every time beating his penguins in the conference final. So Nostalgia on steroids here lol. I beat them, beat the western team, don't remember who at this time, and won my cup. Haven't touched the game since LOL.

Finally made it through both Darksiders games and I have to say it is a shame the studio went broke and the sequels are in limbo with the new group who bought the rights. I enjoyed the first much more than the second, but they were both a lot of fun. My girlfriend doesn't like action RPG and she even got hooked.

Speaking of the GF, she got me into FPS. I am not a fan of them and I only played Halo, because my friend asked me to and I did enjoy it, but ultimately not my cup of tea. Well, My girlfriend and I made it through Borderlands I and II and currently working our way through the Presequel. Fun games, very funny with interesting weapons and missions.

Also got Diablo III and HATED it. Played it mainly because I was a big fan of I and II, but this was a horrible sequel. Yes the weapons were cool, the combat mechanism was fun, but the animation was atrocious (on the 360), the story made no sense (Adria was an OLD witch in Diablo I and DIED along with the rest of Tristam in II!) and of course in the tradition of the other two, the ending was again incredibly infuriating.

I took up Bioshock on the recommendation of a friend and I'm so glad I did. What a great franchise! All he told me was that it was a great game, some consider it art, with a GREAT story, based on Ayn Rand's objectivist philosophy. What he failed to mention was that it was a HORROR FPS. It was a pleasant surprise, but man did it through me for a loop. What a GORGEOUS game. I can see why so many may call it "art." Also, GREAT story indeed. The sequel picks up nicely and the third does a good job of not rehashing the sunken city theme. Infinite has a great twist at the end that I'm still in wonder over. I heard rumors of a fourth, but what a great trilogy.

We've also powered through the Assassin's Creed Franchise. My favorite by far is the Ezio time line (II brotherhood and revelations). I've heard a lot of bad things about III, which we are currently on, and I already know where most of the story is headed due to the age of the games. Barely in the 5th sequence of III, so we'll see how badly it sucks. After that Black Flag.

We also have the Batman Arkham games, but haven't gotten to them just yet and a friend lent me even MORE games. So I'll have a bit to report at some point hehe.

Back