5-Genghis Khan
6-Transylvania
7-Strange World
8-Chains of Misery
9-The Apparition
10-Mother Russia
11-Weekend Warrior
12. Fear of the Dark

I'm doing this together with "Best track by Track" thread. Saves time.
I'm also trying to include all albums (1 song per record rule), so I don't get stuck in the 90's.

1. Invaders
(something about that chorus scream "Invaders!!!!" just seems silly)
2. The Angel and The Gambler (if I'm going to include Blaze song, it's gonna be a song that I remember. And I can remember this one.)
3. Sea of Madness (compared to other Smith work on the album, and album itself, it look like a filler IMO)
4. Public Enema Nr 1
5. Longest Day
(One of the better building-an-war-atmosphere songs that failed miserably on chorus)
6. Prodigal Son (I really like this one but compared to the rest of the album, it just feels "out-of-place")
7. Quest for Fire (Chorus doesn't sit well with me. Rest of the lyrics didn't help also.)
8. Blood on the World Hands (I tried to remember melody from this one, failed, 8. place it is)
9. The Man Who Would Be King (only "weak" song on otherwise awesome record)
10. Judas Be My Guide (This song is actualy OK, but older records don't have 10 songs and newer stuff is awesome (Legacy, Wind, Thin Line)
11. Empire of the Clouds (I could also put The Unbeliever but the thing is: I didn't listen for months how awesome The Unbeliever is and then felt disappointed after hearing it.)

It just wouldn't be fair to put Fear of the Dark, considering it's the only 12th song, seems realy North Korea-ish thing to do.

I'm doing this together with "Best track by Track" thread. Saves time.
I'm also trying to include all albums (1 song per record rule), so I don't get stuck in the 90's.

11. Empire of the Clouds (I could also put The Unbeliever but the thing is: I didn't listen for months how awesome The Unbeliever is and then felt disappointed after hearing it.)

It just wouldn't be fair to put Fear of the Dark, considering it's the only 12th song, seems realy North Korea-ish thing to do.
I know you're doing that one song per record rule, but in no way is Weekend Warrior better than Empire of the Clouds..

And I'm pretty sure Prodigal Son is track 8, not 6. But I don't really remember, the rest of the song is pretty unmemorable except for the back to back Dave solos.
@MrKnickerbocker @CriedWhenBrucieLeft
I did that right, correct?

I know you're doing that one song per record rule, but in no way is Weekend Warrior better than Empire of the Clouds..
I don't know if this is one of those Weekend Warrior jokes, but... I put Judas Be My Guide from that album, and forgot about Weekend Warrior (and to be honest, I have really fond memories of that song). Second, you really wouldn't like to see my Empire of the Clouds review then.

And I'm pretty sure Prodigal Son is track 8, not 6. But I don't really remember, the rest of the song is pretty unmemorable except for the back to back Dave solos.
@MrKnickerbocker @CriedWhenBrucieLeft
I did that right, correct?
Yes, I screwed up. In my defense, I was on Maiden official webpage, which (I concluded) would be reliable source of information. Now I returned and saw this nonsense: http://ironmaiden.com/discography/details/killers (pay attention to song numbering.)
It seems like I would have to do this again.

1: The Ides Of March
2: From Here To Eternity
3: Mother Of Mercy
4: Fortunes Of War
5: Fates Warning
6: Gates Of Tomorrow
7: Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
8: Sun And Steel
9: The Apparition
10: The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
11: Weekend Warrior
12: Journeyman

Como estais amigos
The Educated fool
Dont Look to the eyes of stranger
The Angel and the Gambler
When two worlds Collide
Lighting Strikes Twice
The Unbeliver
Gates of Tomorrow
Age of Innocence
Weekend Worriors

1. Wildest Dreams
2. The Angel and the Gambler
3. No More Lies
4. The Red and the Black
5. When Two Worlds Collide
6. Run to the Hills
7. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
8. The Talisman
9. Face in the Sand
10. Drifter
11. Journeyman
12. Fear Of The Dark

1. Different World
2. From Here to Eternity (in CLOSE competition with Rainmaker and These Colours Don't Run)
3. Lightning Strikes Twice
4. Public Enema Number One (or Fear is the Key)
5. Look for the Truth (also considered Long Distance Runner)
6. The Educated Fool
7. Run Silent Run Deep
8. Shadows of the Valley
9. Face in the Sand
10. 2 A.M.
11. Weekend Warrior
12. Fear of the Dark

Far enough in my own ranking that I can answer this thread with some certainty:

1 - Tailgunner
2 - Holy Smoke

3 - Loss Fer Words (Big 'Orra)
4 - Fortunes of War
5 - The Duellists
6 - The Prophecy
7 - Gangland
8 - Blood on the World's Hands
9 - The Man Who Would Be King
10 - Mother Russia
11 - The Unbeliever

1. Wildest Dreams
2. The Angel and the Gambler
3. No More Lies
4. The Red and the Black
5. When Two Worlds Collide
6. Run to the Hills
8. The Talisman
9. Face in the Sand
10. Drifter
11. Journeyman
12. Fear Of The Dark

I know that you're not just a random troll putting RTTH as the worst #6 song, and that's the most worrying thing about this. Even for a forum with an inexplicable hatred for the song this is out of the blue.

What I want to ask is...Why?

Last edited:
1. Wildest Dreams
2. Holy Smoke
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Running Free (yes, I include Sanctuary on the debut)
5. The Number of the Beast
6. The Assassin
7. Gangland
8. Charlotte the Harlot
9. Iron Maiden
10. Mother Russia
11. probably Journeyman
12. Fear of the Dark. Yes, it's definitely the worst twelfth song :p

I know that you're not just a random troll putting RTTH as the worst #6 song, and that's the most worrying thing about this. Even for a forum with an inexplicable hatred for the song this is out of the blue.

What I want to ask is...Why?
I don't hate the song. But I prefer the other number sixes. Sometimes the difference is smaller, sometimes pretty big.

Let's have a look:
Strange World or Transylvania (depending on which version of the album we count). Both > Run to the Hills.
Innocent Exile > Run to the Hills
Still Life > Run to the Hills
Back in the Village > Run to the Hills
Stranger in a Strange Land > Run to the Hills
The Prophecy > Run to the Hills
The Assassin > Run to the Hills
Wasting Love > Run to the Hills
The Aftermath > Run to the Hills
The Educated Fool > Run to the Hills
Dream of Mirrors > Run to the Hills
Gates of Tomorrow > Run to the Hills
Out of the Shadows > Run to the Hills
Isle of Avalon > Run to the Hills
The Book of Souls > Run to the Hills

But why do I like these songs more than Run to the Hills? While I relatively enjoy the latter, I have seen and heard it so often (on various live releases) that it has become less special. That doesn't happen with all songs. Hallowed, Trooper and lately also Beast are exceptions. I see and hear them often as well live, but enjoy them more. They have more going on in my view. They are less happy songs which also makes a difference to me. Also, in RTTH there's hardly any change of intensity or tension, compared to many other songs in the Maiden catalogue. And I don't find the particular vocal melodies very interesting.

Reading my reviews of all these songs in this post could give an idea of why I like these more. I must confess that my Innocent Exile review sounds more negative than the one about RTTH. Still, if I had to choose between the two, I appreciate certain parts (and playing) of the former more.

Last edited:
1. Wildest Dreams
2. Don'cha Think I'm a Saviour
4. Fear is the Key
5. Childhoods End
6. The Assassin
7. The Fugitive
8. Hooks in You
9. The Apparition
10. Age of Innocence
11. Weekend Warrior
12. Abstain

Track 3 was tricky, No Prayer and Afraid To Shoot Strangers were in the mix but both have instrumental parts which I really enjoy. Saying that, I don't hate Lightning. Much.

Track 4 - I didnt even look at the other options.

Track 6 - Gates of Tomorrow was in the mix but is a bit more dynamic. Fuckin hate Bruces style in the verse though.

Track 10 - Again, other options were hardly considered, one of the all time worst for me. Still better than Fear is the Key though.

So I think its clear that, IMO, FOTD sucks balls. Even its shining light, FOTD itself, is the worst officially available version of the song. DOD has some top, top moments but too much filler for my liking.

I'm gonna update mine
1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. Angel and the Gambler
4. Fear is the Key
5. Look For The Truth (When Two Worlds Collide barely escapes this)
6. The Assassin (Decent song though)
8. Como Estais Amigos
9. The Apparition
10. 2.A.M
11. Weekend Warrior
12. It's a good song.

Nearly 5 songs from Virtual XI and everything here is from the 90's. Lol.

While there are some mishaps in the rest of the song I find the chorus in the Gates chorus mindblowingly nice. I enjoy the pre-chorus a lot as well. Bruce is very good and the melodies are memorable.

Last edited:
Back