The Book of Souls: General album discussion

Right sorry about that mate, was only listing what fav song I like from the new album, have not been to America as yet to see iron maiden live

Right sorry about that mate, was only listing what fav song I like from the new album, have not been to America as yet to see iron maiden live
No worries, just something to keep in mind going forward as a courtesy to other posters.

Thanks MrK. Williamc34 - please use spoiler tags if you post details of the setlist, discuss the stage performance on the current tour or post pictures of shows on the current tour. Quite a few board members don't want to know the setlist or details of the stage show before they see it themselves. The 'contains spoilers' tour thread MrK posted the link tour doesn't need spoiler tags. The other tour thread (no spoilers allowed) doesn't allow spoilers at all, even with tags.

I'm still skipping When The River Runs Deep and The Red & The Black whenever I play the album.

I'm still skipping When The River Runs Deep and The Red & The Black whenever I play the album.
I am tentative when Red and Black comes on, it seems like a chore (although I love the instrumental) but I love When the River Runs Deep, tis a gloriously fun romp, makes me want to don a fancy hat and wildly shake it off for dramatic effect or maybe rise out of the surf like that tramp out of the Davidoff Cool Water ads. images (5).jpg

I typically still listen to this one straight through, but the two I'm most likely to skip (and therefore my least favorite tracks) are When the River Runs Deep and The Man of Sorrows.

Why all the hate for River? It's catchy as f*ck and I'm not talking just the chorus, the verse might be even better. Also, it's a rather novel idea for Maiden to have chorus actually slower than the verse, right? (At least I think so, but maybe someone will think of an example). Also, have you heard that Davey's solo?

I mean, how is this song any worse than Death or Glory?

Why all the hate for River? It's catchy as f*ck and I'm not talking just the chorus, the verse might be even better. Also, it's a rather novel idea for Maiden to have chorus actually slower than the verse, right? (At least I think so, but maybe someone will think of an example). Also, have you heard that Davey's solo?

I mean, how is this song any worse than Death or Glory?
Totally agree, River is a cracker

Although WTRRD is the bottom song on my TBOS rankings, it is a wonderful track; the slow shift for the chorus is really interesting (a bit like the chorus on PENO) and the atmosphere in the song reminds me of SSOASS. I gave it an 8.

It's not that I dislike River, it's just probably my least favorite song on the album -

- Moonchild'ish yet kinda sloppy intro
- I hate the "hiding, trying, dying" etc vocals in the pre-chorus
- I like the slow down of the chorus itself though
- the faster section is nice just not terribly remarkable

Listened to this in the car on the drive to work this morning for the first time in a month or so (self imposed break) and it's still an awesome album. I love the entire thing. It's my second favorite post-reunion album after AMOLAD and with time may overtake that one.

I'm STILL listening to this album like I bought it yesterday. Now that's staying power.

I've been listening to it DAILY since september 2015. Best album since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, for sure. Sometimes I skip The Great Unknown and The Man of Sorrows, though.

I keep skipping Empire of the Clouds... I don't think I listened to it in its entirety more than 10 times since the release. The initial disappointment really made me ignore the track later on. Well, I noticed that in general I often stop after Death or Glory. Disc 1 is clearly superior to me.

Now that TBoS sunk in, I tried to rank the reunion albums, but... I can't decide between three of them. AMoLaD is definitely number 1, with BNW being close 2nd. And then I have the rest... I think TFF has to be number 3, although DoD and TBoS both have certain songs that I like more than anything on TFF (DoD, Paschendale, TBoS). The problem with these two albums is that they are very uneven. TBoS varies from 10/10 title track to disappointing EotC and very weak WtRRD. I'd even say TBoS hits some lower points than DoD (WtRRD is probably worse than anything on DoD) but I can't decide which is better overall.

Heard most of it last night. 1st time in a while listening to track after track (without picking 1 or the other). God, it is still a GREAT listen! Brings back memories of the Chicago show last month!

I keep skipping Empire of the Clouds... I don't think I listened to it in its entirety more than 10 times since the release. The initial disappointment really made me ignore the track later on. Well, I noticed that in general I often stop after Death or Glory. Disc 1 is clearly superior to me.

Now that TBoS sunk in, I tried to rank the reunion albums, but... I can't decide between three of them. AMoLaD is definitely number 1, with BNW being close 2nd. And then I have the rest... I think TFF has to be number 3, although DoD and TBoS both have certain songs that I like more than anything on TFF (DoD, Paschendale, TBoS). The problem with these two albums is that they are very uneven. TBoS varies from 10/10 title track to disappointing EotC.

At last, my long lost brother!

and very weak WtRRD. I'd even say TBoS hits some lower points than DoD (WtRRD is probably worse than anything on DoD)

Or maybe not.

Back