What guitar do you play?

Both very nice. I'd keep the Gibson, not everyone gets to own a quality old guitar.
Are these EMGs on the Jackson? Do you like 'em?

They are EMGs and I like 'em just fine.
But I'm a neophyte — don't really have the guitar knowledge to make a useful comparison.

I've just starting using the Gibson to teach my daughter.
It's been in the family for nearly 60 years. If I part with it, it will be to give it to a grandkid.

And Saap I see you continue to churn out awesome stuff with your Jackson:

Very Michael Schenker/Adrian Smith.

Last edited:
They are EMGs and I like 'em just fine.
But I'm a neophyte — don't really have the guitar knowledge to make a useful comparison.

I've just starting using the Gibson to teach my daughter.
It's been in the family for nearly 60 years. If I part with it, it will be to give it to a grandkid.

And Saap I see you continue to churn out awesome stuff with your Jackson:

Very Michael Schenker/Adrian Smith.

The usual EMG 81/85 set, I presume?

Indeed, the music keeps flowin', I'm glad you like it. I wasn't completely satisfied with it at first but now I think it's my most accomplished Metal work so far. I have a great deal of ideas but I'm taking my time to work out stuff that sounds complete. It's amazing how inspired I have been lately.

ThmWmP.jpg

My latest acquisition. Fender Standard Stratocaster. I have guitars several times the cost of this, but I really like this one. FMIC Ensenada puts out some really nice guitars today.

I just realised earlier, I've never posted pictures of my babies here, so here they are. Not nearly as impressive as some of the guitars on here, but hey...

Les Paul 60s Tribute 2013. Roughly comparable in spec to the current Les Paul Studio. I have no complaints whatsoever about this guitar, not least because I won it in an online giveaway so it cost me absolutely nothing!

It also has this interesting little gadget:

A Tronical Min-ETune auto tuner, powered by a rechargeable battery. This added something like £100 to the guitar's price tag. It's not something I would have gone of out my way to buy, but it has resulted in me playing around with different tunings a lot more. I'm not sure how robust this will prove to be longer term.

Number Two is my old Yamaha Pacifica 412. Alder body, stock factory pickups. Bought very cheaply secondhand and for the price, not a bad instrument by any means. I took this to a lesson a while ago and the instructor had it sounding great.

So I was thinking about getting an Jackson Adrian Smith SDX. Does anyone have one? If so, are they worth it?

My axes:

1994 Desert Yellow Ibanez RG550 with DiMarzios (Paf Pro and Super Distortion)
1990 Black Charvel 375 Deluxe with EMGs (SA SA 85, 18V)
2002 Ibanez Jem 7DBK with prestige neck
2007 Fender MIM 60's classic player strat (first guitar)
2012 50's tribute Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
1990 Ibanez Universe, black
2013 Taylor 114 CE acoustic

When we play gigs with my band I usually use the yellow RG for Standard tuning, Strat for one song (Eb - the singer cannot sing that song in standard), and the Les Paul
for drop D and another alternate tuning for one of our songs. Charvel is my guitar that I use most nowadays, because I brought it with me to Ljubljana, other guitars are at home.

I am now the proud owner of an Ibanez guitar. A friend of my dad gave it to me, he's been supportive of my guitar-playing before as well.
The pickups are active and very heavy, great for tight rhythm playing and strong leads, lots of sustain as well. Not that good for clean sounds though.

4b2ba3911d247a1ffd7aded4ec0a0aa3.jpg

To be honest, I have no idea. What I do know is that it is over 20 years old and has a Floyd Rose II so the model can probably be identified.

Speaking of guitars, I had to restring my Ibanez JS-100 the other day for the first time in like...7 years? It took me 2 and 1/2 hours. :ninja:

And your strings didn't get 'dull' sounding after that amount of time?
Mine starts loosing a lot of treble and sustain after ~ 1 year. Especially the three wound strings. I guess there's a lot of dead skin in between the ridges. It's the only reason I unlock my top once in a while.

When I bought my first Floyd-equipped guitar I spent several days on learning and practicing how to do the whole set-up properly. Still, it takes me no less than 30 min to restring and tune.

Speaking of guitars, I had to restring my Ibanez JS-100 the other day for the first time in like...7 years? It took me 2 and 1/2 hours. :ninja:
I restring my guitar so rarely that I have to learn how to do it each time... Right now I have approx. 1.5 year old strings on and feel terrible about it, lol. The weird thing is that I play quite intensely all the time and they haven't broken yet. Ernie Ball are durable, seriously... They probably sound like rubber bands now compared to new ones, though... ;) A new set is waiting until I have something to record (hopefully this month).

I change the strings every month and still feel like I should do it twice as often. How do you guys last years without changing them? They just don't sound lively and go out of tune rather fast.

I'm guilty of never having changed the strings on the Les Paul since I got it (3 years?). The Yamaha sounds awful pretty quickly, though, so that's had a lot more strings changed.

I change the strings every month and still feel like I should do it twice as often. How do you guys last years without changing them? They just don't sound lively and go out of tune rather fast.

Yeah the nice sound goes away by that time. But I don't go out of tune for months. Even then, it's just a slight microtuner adjustment on the bridge side, and it's 2nd or 3rd string (G and B in std.E tuning) that need correction.
Using gauge 10 in standard D so that maybe adds to tuning stability in some way.

Back