Is Live After Death Overrated?

I really wish they would release some more live albums.

I really wish there was a proper pro-shot official release of Donington 1988. I know we got Maiden England from that tour but I think Donington 1988 would be even better and heralded as classic as LAD. What a missed opportunity. Oh and a concert from 1986/1987 with cyborg eddie would be amazing.

I guess it's got a lot to do with your age as well how long you have been a fan for and when you actually became acquainted with their music. If you are in >35 years old like I am!!! I would be very surprised to read that LAD or Maiden England is not your favourite live maiden album. Younger people that became fans around the BNW era tend to like Rock in Rio or Death on the Road more than LAD
I totally understand the sentimental value part of listening to music ;) I just think that, being objective, there are indeed better live albums by Maiden. And that is not to say that LAD is bad, i just honestly think there are better ones!

Is this album so highly regarded because of it's historical context?

Well yes. And rightfully so. I think it was the perfect time for them to do a live album. Double album. Arguably the greatest Iron Maiden album cover of all time? "Scream for me Long Beach Arena" - Truly classic. Let's just say they could have done a lot worse for a first live album release.

Well yes. And rightfully so. I think it was the perfect time for them to do a live album. Double album. Arguably the greatest Iron Maiden album cover of all time? "Scream for me Long Beach Arena" - Truly classic. Let's just say they could have done a lot worse for a first live album release.
The thing is, i 100% understand all of that. But...

The first Maiden live album i heard (or saw, since it was actually the DVD) was Flight 666. I was blown away.

Then i went back after a while and bought LAD (the DVD). I was mega hyped because every fan i personally knew talked highly of it. And i must say, at the time, i was disappointed. The sound of the recording itself was not THAT great and Bruce in particular did not sound THAT great as well. I remember on the first listen i had to stop at the middle of Aces High because i thought his vocals were terrible. Over time my opinion changed quite a bit, but at the same time i still retain some of that first time shock. So there you go, that's my LAD story :p

From then on, i always think people actually hear this album more with their memories/hype than their ears, and with that i don't mean to offend anyone, i too sometimes am a victim of "nostalgia" :rolleyes:

The first Maiden live album i heard (or saw, since it was actually the DVD) was Flight 666. I was blown away.

Then i went back after a while and bought LAD (the DVD). I was mega hyped because every fan i personally knew talked highly of it. And i must say, at the time, i was disappointed. The sound of the recording itself was not THAT great and Bruce in particular did not sound THAT great as well. I remember on the first listen i had to stop at the middle of Aces High because i thought his vocals were terrible. Over time my opinion changed quite a bit, but at the same time i still retain some of that first time shock. So there you go, that's my LAD story :p

From then on, i always think people actually hear this album more with their memories/hype than their ears, and with that i don't mean to offend anyone, i too sometimes am a victim of "nostalgia" :rolleyes:
I wasn't quite as disappointed when I first heard it, but my experience was somewhat similar; I had recently actually seen Maiden live on the SBIT tour for the first time, and my immediate thought was that Bruce sounded quite a lot better in recent times.

Yeah. Well that's perfectly fine to think that. Live After Death is not my favorite live DVD/show either - that would be Maiden England. But I think that there is really some magic on the Live After Death album. And if you watch the DVD, the atmosphere/stage show is just fantastic. Bruce's voice personally never bothered me, even if he might be struggling.

But yes. A big part of it IS the nostalgia/historical context of the album itself.

For some reason the CD version of LAD sounds better to me than the DVD version o_O Dunno if they're different shows or what

OK, enough of this downplaying. I can't help it that some of you chose to discover these records in wrong order. ;)

For 24 years, Live After Death was the only album with Rime and Powerslave on it. 24 years is a long time, and that sentiment is not suddenly going to change for people who have fallen in love with that album. It's not just sentiment. It's also quality. Damn great versions from these two songs. Also it had nice versions from other songs that make it worthwhile (e.g. Flight of Icarus, Phantom of the Opera, 22 Acacia Avenue, Die With Your Boots On).

I understand that Bruce is not at his best on LAD, but there are 4 other guys. Adrian improved in his some solos in later years but some of his riffing (and soloing) on LAD is fucking awesome. Nicko plays very good and the rest as well.

The sound on Live After Death is excellent. 2 guitars on the sides, drums and bass excellent in the mix. Top notch sound, a 10 for balance.

This was the seminal album that could make people learn who played what. People still have no clue what happens on Flight 666 (unless you know who plays which solo, but still: the rest is more difficult).

The stageset was better than on later live albums, Eddie was more impressive (both the walking and the big one). These are ingredients that can enhance the experience. Even the audio experience, if you can envision what the band and audience experience.

Last edited:
OK, enough of this downplaying. I can't help it that some of you chose to discover these records in wrong order. ;)

For 24 years, Live After Death was the only album with Rime and Powerslave on it. 24 years is a long time, and that sentiment is not suddenly going to change for people who have fallen in love with that album. It's not just sentiment. It's also quality. Damn great versions from these two songs. Also it had nice versions from other songs that make it worthwhile (e.g. Flight of Icarus, Phantom of the Opera, 22 Acacia Avenue, Die With Your Boots On).
This is a good point and an important thing to remember. We've been a bit spoiled with live releases since the reunion.

With that said, how an album holds up after 20 years is an important factor as well. If LAD has truly stood the test of time, it should still blow you away even after other live albums. Obviously that's up to the listener, but I do think it's somewhat telling that a lot of younger generation fans don't hold it in the same regard as the older fans. So no it's not just sentiment, but it is a big part.

If any album stands the test of time, it's undoubtedly going to be Rock In Rio. 15 years later and no live album since has topped it. The question of it being overrated rarely (if ever) comes up either.

Personally I still like LAD a lot. I prefer the other two live albums from the 80s but LAD is still pretty special. The Powerslave songs are great and it also has some awesome versions of older songs like Phantom of the Opera and Revelations. Yes Bruce isn't great, but Foro is right: there are 4 other guys who give some of their best performances. And the mix is really the best part. I love how I can pick out every instrument easily. Especially the guitars.

Judging just the performance, I suppose it's a tad overrated in that it's probably only the 4th or 5th best live Maiden. But when put in context, it's legendary for a reason.

I probably rated Maiden Engand higher for some time even if it was only a video. It wasnt until later that I came to apreciate the brilliance rhat is LAD. I guess its just where I came in Its all there, all the best songs until that point are all there. The best stage show, the best backdrops the best visual production is right there. I still do think the video, the picture looks better on Maiden clearer, more upfront.

The total package LAD wins by a nose.

LAD is the reason I started playing bass, it's very sentimental for me, but that atmosphere captured true mid 80's vibe, everything is so positive, they are young and fresh, best ROTAM version is this for me, therr is no better live album for me, second place is tied between RiR and Maiden England, I can't decide.

It sounds like a studio album more than a live one.
You know, that's exactly what i said to myself when i first heard it (or actually saw it, since it was the DVD). I still say that when Aces High begins. But sometime into that first song i actually forget that and i really star to get into the album.

Although i still think LAD is overrated, i actually began appreciating a lot more recently ;)

Whether I look at it subjectively (what I think is the best) or objectively (what I sincerely thinks represents Maiden at their best, no personal bias involved), it is definitely overrated.

Subjectively it is way too early in their career for me to truly enjoy it. I love a lot of the songs. But since my favourite era is the reunion one and I’m also particular for the 90’s (which most Maiden fans aren’t), it just cannot be the perfect one for me. However, I think I would like an official release from the Somewhere on Tour tour, but that one never happened.

Objectively… Bruce is in a bad shape and the setlist is mostly Powerslave & NOTB. Which is why it’s going to be a classic for the ages. Also (don’t crucify me) it sounds a tad sterile. I don’t know why, it just popped into my mind.

I’m definitely more into En Vivo or Rock in Rio.

Objectively, I think the best representation of Maiden are IMHO probably Death on the Road and Beast Over Hammersmith. Neither is my particular favourite, but I would probably rate these as best if I were an unbiased reviewer. Don’t ask me why. Just a feeling, pretty much like everything else in this post.

I recently heard Beast over Hammersmith and I noticed how bad Bruce sounded in some songs. Powerful? Yes. Off-key? Yes, several times. His singing on Death on the Road is sub par as well, a big reason why I like it less than all other live albums.

I recently heard Beast over Hammersmith and I noticed how bad Bruce sounded in some songs. Powerful? Yes. Off-key? Yes, several times. His singing on Death on the Road is sub par as well, a big reason why I like it less than all other live albums.

Might be, but there is something about his voice on LAD that really annoys me, I can't quite put my finger on it, but Live is really probably my least favourite performance of his, TBH.

The "live my life where I want to" on second Prisoner chorus was particularly painful.
I don't get these people who say that Bruce was best when he joined the band. They should get their ears checked. There were less good performances than bad ones in the '80s. On each tour.

Bruce started singing well live in mid-90s after he left the band. Compare Doningtion/ARLO/ARDO to Live At Marquee.

I think most people tend to overlook the fact it was recorded LIVE. Straying off-key a few times is normal in a genre in which singers have to "scream" a lot. As long as it is not as often as Edu Falaschi or James LaBrie.
There were less good performances than bad ones in the '80s
How come Bruce Dickinson was not fired then? ;)

Last edited:
Bruce's live vocals were great in '82 but then rapidly began to decline from '84 onwards. He's definitely the weakest link for me in Live After Death and Maiden England '88.

I think it wasn't only until the mid to late 90s, during his solo career that he began sounding phenomenal (Scream For Me Brazil, for example). But since then his performances on stage have been consistently brilliant.

Back