Where do you see Iron Maiden going after TBOS ?

I might be optimistic, but I think they could release another studio album as early as 2018, if their health is good and all that.. If they're done doing history tours, I don't see what else they should do after the TBOS tours.

I'd be very surprised if the tour doesn't extend into 2017.
Maybe so, but no plans beyond August have been announced yet as far as I can see, and the Wiki indicates it ends then. What I think might be possible is that they will do this leg, and then announce another, or not, after they see how Bruce's voice is doing.

Maybe so, but no plans beyond August have been announced yet as far as I can see, and the Wiki indicates it ends then. What I think might be possible is that they will do this leg, and then announce another, or not, after they see how Bruce's voice is doing.
I think people are remembering what Nicko said in a pre-release interview; Rod told them all to keep their diaries clear for the next "two years", or words to that effect. Hence the 2017 speculation. ME tour rolled on forever, so it doesn't seem particularly unlikely that they'll also be on the road in 2017.

I think people are remembering what Nicko said in a pre-release interview; Rod told them all to keep their diaries clear for the next "two years", or words to that effect. Hence the 2017 speculation. ME tour rolled on forever, so it doesn't seem particularly unlikely that they'll also be on the road in 2017.
Seems reasonable, and I certainly hope for that.

Where are you getting that? What I'm seeing is that they tour from February to August of next year. And not once coming anywhere near me, really. :/
I am sure that I did see that!! But if nobody else remembers, then I must just be confusing other fan's predictions for the tour with facts. :(
Well I guess it is a fact that they are playing 35 countries, which they only have 37 shows scheduled at the moment and 9 of those are in the US. So how long will it likely take them to travel around 35 countries on 6 continents? Sounds like a long trip..

Last edited:
I think they will extend this tour until 2017 and release another album at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018. Bruce said he wants another album, Steve also gave hints that he wants too, Dave said that their creativity was so strong that even after they stopped writing for TBOS, ideas were still floating around. So, I don't see a band with this great creative force stopping after this album. If they are healthy, they will keep going for a few years.

I also think they will probably continue with the "writing and recording at the studio" system. They seem to have liked the spontaneity of this method and in my opinion it benefited them.

Anyway to answer the original question. I agree with Naty that they'll probably use the same writing in the studio approach again, it sounds like that was really refreshing for them.

Musically it could go in a lot of different ways. If there's anything I've learned from progressive bands, they all reach a point where they've had enough of the really long songs and decide to dial back. Happened to Rush, happened to Genesis, I think it will happen to Maiden at some point. They did the side long epic, they did the double album, there isn't much more ground to cover there. Unless they go for a double album that has two full length discs. Adrian has already reached the point where he's more interested in writing short stuff and judging from the Prog Steve Harris interview, he's probably in a similar boat. I thought the short songs on TBOS showed a potential that very little of the shorter material in the past 15 years had shown before. So I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for something more concise next time. Although I would miss the long songs a bit.

I might add something... Remember year 2003 and recording Dance of Death? For me it seems plausible that they go on tour next year February-July and then go to the studio in the fall. In 2017 they still tour TBOS, but release new album in the fall (Like Give Me Ed tour). They stated that they want to make another album and know that time is running out really fast.

It could be a mixture of long epics with others around the four minute mark. That's what I'd LIKE to see. What I THINK we'll get is a single disc of more of the prog-style metal they've been turning towards since Dance of Death (the seeds were planted on BNW...but they budded on DOD).
I'd like to see Maiden pushing the boundaries more. Really going for gold, perhaps adding Thrash to their repotoir and a couple full on Symphonic numbers, perhaps even something a little on the goth side such as Candles or Restless with some haunting vocals and Bruce tinkling the piano (with a couple years of intensive lessons he may be quite decent). Or perhaps Maiden invent some new Metal-ish sub genre. Perhaps something Full on like Cavelera era Sepultura e.g. Arise but replace the gutteral growls with gold Bruce melodies.
Then for a bit of respite perhaps a Maiden verson of He Is from Ghost
Maiden have showed us they have mastered NWOBHM, and Prog (within reason).
But I wouldn't like to have any more straight forward simple rockers from them, seems a waste of their talent. Really, whatever Maiden do will be gold, these guys are so talented, but they ought to experiment and diversify more.

How about what Kiss did with each member making their own solo album.

- Adrian's is perfectly produced and has loads of short rockers.
- Steve's has loads of 12 minute epics all with titles starting with the word 'The'.
- Bruce finally does the acoustic album he wanted to do in 86, with the lyrics telling the rest of that 'Necropolis' story (or alternatively, 12 songs about flying).
- Janicks starts with a folk-style intro then dissolves into 60 minutes of solos and unlistenable feedback
- Daves never sees the light of day on account of him only writing one song every 5 years.
- Nicko releases a 'Robbie Williams' style covers album titled 'Nicko Croons The Classics' where he sings Sinatra, Bing Crosby etc. Unfortunately it has to be heavily censored due to his frequent exclamations of 'KIN HELL!' and requests for people to 'f*@k his old boots.....
- BONUS DISC - Paul Di'Anno sings terrible cover versions of songs from the 1st two albums, combined with frequent rants about what bastards Steve and Rod are and the fact he hasn't done anything worthwhile for 35 years is everyone else's fault but his......

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe...just maybe...it will feature 10-12 midtempo proggy songs at least 5-7 minutes long, a few even longer, many of which will have "soft" intros and/or outros, and the album will be produced by Kevin Shirley.

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe...just maybe...it will feature 10-12 midtempo proggy songs at least 5-7 minutes long, a few even longer, many of which will have "soft" intros and/or outros, and the album will be produced by Kevin Shirley.
Source?

That doesn't sound like something they'd do tbh.

Sounds like something I'd rush to buy.

This won't be a popular opinion... but anyway, I would kill to see them putting out a heavier album before they're out, their Train of Thought, or Painkiller if you please... To kind of show they're aging with grace and they can still kick ass of any of the younger bands. It wouldn't have to be exactly Kreator, mind you, just having that kind of sonic attack on the eardrums or that thought "OhmyGod is Nicko doing blastbeats at that part from 9:11 to 9:32?"
I know it's improbable. I know they would alienate probably even more fans than with the 2006 tour. But I would like to hear that, honestly. Just for the sheer novel value.

I've heard that a few times through the years...

Everybody keeps talking about final album. TBOS is their final album until they release another one. Bottom line is if they are still healthy and are still passionate about the band, and we keep handing them out money, the next album will be out sometime after this massive tour is over. The only band I can compare (not musically) but work ethic wise is KISS. Those guys are in their mid to late 60s and still tour their ass off. Paul Stanley has had 3 hip replacements vocal surgery from a quack Doctor. Paul sounds like a big Parakeet live and his feathery costume doesn't help, but their out their doing it because they love it! I think the same about maiden. They do it because they love it. We're all going to die one day. That's a fact. Enjoy the ride until that day comes....

Anyway to answer the original question. I agree with Naty that they'll probably use the same writing in the studio approach again, it sounds like that was really refreshing for them.

Musically it could go in a lot of different ways. If there's anything I've learned from progressive bands, they all reach a point where they've had enough of the really long songs and decide to dial back. Happened to Rush, happened to Genesis, I think it will happen to Maiden at some point. They did the side long epic, they did the double album, there isn't much more ground to cover there. Unless they go for a double album that has two full length discs. Adrian has already reached the point where he's more interested in writing short stuff and judging from the Prog Steve Harris interview, he's probably in a similar boat. I thought the short songs on TBOS showed a potential that very little of the shorter material in the past 15 years had shown before. So I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for something more concise next time. Although I would miss the long songs a bit.

I think I missed this interview. Can anyone link me, please?

For the people that are suggesting thrash influences, blastbeats (!!!) and so on , Maiden have commented on how they hate thrash metal and even replied to a question , about how they influenced thrash metal, with a "OMG what have we done ?" . Don't ask me for a link this was in a magazine interview in mid-to-late eighties but i am 100% certain about it . Anyway they can't create a "Painkiller" at their age , just like Priest can't for that matter .

I will ask you for a link because I don't believe it.
At least Adrian and Bruce like heavier, "extreme" metal. E.g. Biohazard, Fear Factory...

Back