Speed Of Light

How good is Speed of Light on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Honestly the first time I heard the song it was a dissapointment 'cause I expected more. Now that I have listened a few more times and in the context of the album I'm beggining to love the song. I think it fits perfectely with the rest of the album

Great riffing and great solo part. The rest is a bit less good, but yeah in context with the rest of the album its not bat at all!

I think it is good fun to play on the guitar. Maybe the chorus could use some twin guitar melodies but still it is not bad.

I didn't get burnt out on this one and only heard it 3-4 times before hearing the whole album... When it comes to reunion era short rockers, I think only The Wicker Man and Different World are better and it's on par with Rainmaker, maybe even better. Pretty much the type of song TFF was missing to make it a perfect album... it'd fit so much better than The Alchemist since it's gazillion times better.
+ Catchiest solos on the album.

Still love this song - it was the best choice of shorter songs to release as the single as I feel like it's the catchiest. Love the guitar work too. Lots of great guitar work on this album. Will be an awesome live song.

Not full of surprises and fairly predictable rocker with an infectious lead guitar line. Feels a tad out of place on this album, but I think that this would be a scorcher live.

The song is still cool to listen to, but after listening to the full album a few times, I can't help but feel it's a bit out of place. It's a straight rocker in a mix of more or less proggy songs, and as a follow-up to If Eternity Should Fail it feels strange on the album. Maybe it would've fit better after the title track, as an opener of disc 2?

The song is still cool to listen to, but after listening to the full album a few times, I can't help but feel it's a bit out of place. It's a straight rocker in a mix of more or less proggy songs, and as a follow-up to If Eternity Should Fail it feels strange on the album. Maybe it would've fit better after the title track, as an opener of disc 2?

I can't disagree more. I've felt since day 1 that it fits in perfectly after IESF.

But what's the alternative for track 2 then? Given these 11 songs, I think they chose the best sequence possible.

I actually thought of that the other day. I most of the times like to go with Death or Glory after If Eternity should fail. That or Shadows of the valley. I guess Speed of Light would be good as a second CD opener.

I quite like the song. It has a bit of the early 90s Maiden feel to it with the energy and Bruce's vocals, but it's not overdone and the sound is overall very good. It's fast, rocks hard, and catchy, what's not to like? I agree with the sentiments that it's a standout amongst reunion rockers.

9/10. One of my least favorite songs on The Book Of Souls, however I really love this album and still like this song!
I had mixed feelings about this song when I 1st listened to it, but after about 5 listens I really started to like it! That scream from Bruce during the intro was the best thing Maiden could have released that would end up being the very 1st sound their fans would hear from Bruce after hearing the album was recorded just months prior to him finding out about his illness. The cowbell on the other hand was a poor choice as it was the very 1st thing on the entire album (besides for that 28 second clip) every single fan heard and stood out like a sore thumb, which got tons and tons of complaints! I still see comments from people (not here) saying "if you like cowbell you will like TBOS"... SMH. There is cowbell for a total of 10 seconds on a 92:11 minute album so still over 92 minutes of music with no cowbell. I did happen to purchase the single on cd with the t shirt at Best Buy, which I'm very glad that I did even though I haven't used the $2 off coupon for TBOS, which I might sooner or later but I probably won't since I have the album on vinyl and have the mp3 copy on my iPod. But I took a 770 mile road trip to Arizona by myself the very next day and I listened to my Speed Of Light CD like 500 freaking times and it grew on me tremendously that day!! Plus I really like the t shirt that came with it and it's just a little too big on me, but that's fine. Anyway, pretty good song and very catchy. Just nothing too special compared to the rest of this phenomenal album!

This song would be a classic live. Add a bit of speed and a decent production and it is up there with the classics.

I actually find myself liking Speed of Light more and more with each listen. When taken as the single track it is certainly unrepresentative of the album as a whole. But as a part of a bigger compilation, SOL is a really good tune. It definitely holds up better than El Dorado, Different World, or Wildest Dreams.

I hope they open their shows with Speed of Light. I love Eternity, but it's too mid-tempo to be an opener. Coming out blazing with SoL would be perfect. Then after that they could launch into The Red and the Black, maybe. Eternity could come later in the set or in the encore.

The song Speed of Light is about the movie Event Horizon.
Watch the movie, appreciate the song far more.

Back