Sanctuary

How good is Sanctuary on a scale of 1-10

• Total voters
I think this is actually Maiden's best encore song ever. Saw it as the closer on BNW tour and it was awesome. I love all the guitar harmonies on this one, especially that closing lick. 8/10

I think this song is underrated, and gets overhated during survivors (twice now, it's been eliminated in Round 1). With that said, it's a little repetitive at times, but it has a good rhythm and a good concept behind it.

6/10

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Sanctuary
2: Prowler

This is a fun song. It's usually lumped in with the weaker tracks...and while I can see some of it, I don't agree in the long run. For me, there's a big difference between how good a song is and how fun a song is. The song itself doesn't have much interesting to go by, but it's fun to listen to so it doesn't matter, right?

In some cases, yes. The catchiness for me can sometimes be all a song needs for me to like it.

And this song is catchy, but my main attraction with the song comes when it's played live. I always enjoy that extra section that they added. It's something I can bob my head to.

I won't talk about the lyrics since I feel in a song like this, they're not as important. I feel that this song was meant to be played live and really nothing else.

So, what is my rating gonna be? Well...7/10.

I think that seems about fine.

10/10

Sanctuary kicks things back into high gear. It’s another live staple and a gripping rock track with an insatiable, driving beat. Don't know why I love it so much, but I do.

This song has a neat early Maiden feel, with a fun, almost happy tone. It makes the prospect of fleeing law enforcement sound enjoyable and desirable. It's not a particularly good song, though, but it has that early Iron Maiden energy - energy that has been increasingly replaced by finesse over the next 35 years. For my money, I prefer the finesse.

5/10.

• Quite an energetic track, much like most early Maiden tracks.
  • The main riff isn't anything special and the rhythm only does so much to carry the track.
  • I find the hooks of the track to be lacklustre and even annoying.
  • It's a fun song lyrically but nothing special there either.
4/10.

Last edited:
Another great song that's full of energy. Lyrics are still a bit weird. Killing women then trying to get away with it is still odd stuff to talk about. But the music dominates this song.

9/10

Mixed on this one. The song flows rather poorly - the chorus in particular feels detached from the the rest. No wonder they did the stop-start thing in concert. The instrumental part smokes though, so let's say 6.

Worst song on the album for me and one of maidens worst ever. It's got a bit of energy but that's about it. It's just a standard punk rock song on my eyes

5/10

This is a song I'm having a hard time getting into or enjoying, it's not bad per se but just feels so ordinary and non-maiden (in a bad way). Wish they would syop playing it as an encore, there are way better and more fitting tunes from this period.

3/10

I detested this song the first time I heard it. I can now enjoy it to an extent, but still find certain parts comical (in a bad way). So, I can only give it a...

5/10

This would've been a much better opener I think. Better solos, better performance from Paul, an even better energy. I just love that instrumental section, especially when they do it live. Plus Steve plays some really great bass licks here. 8

On record this song is slightly above average. Live it's a 7 to even 8 (RiR version), but on studio I'm afraid it doesn't go above 6.

Fun sort of rocker, but no great favourite of mine, suffers from sounding dated. 6/10

7/10. This one is a nice fast rocker, but I like the other short rockers on the debut a little more than this one.

6/10. Fun song, nothing I consider particularly special but no particular qualms either.

Ratings so far:

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary

Good solos, but otherwise a very overrated song IMO. Never understood why it has been played live after 1983, its far from a Maide classic. 7/10

Back