If Eternity Should Fail

How good is If Eternity Should Fail on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
For some reason, until I read this interview, I felt that he kind of "cancelled" that album. He never spoke of it, other than that a song was used, nothing saying about that album. His use of words, kind of indicated like he said "what would have been my solo album" (didn't he say that somewhere?).

But it still can take years though. However, Bruce keeps stressing in interviews that he does not want to waste time.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bruce releasing his own version of the same song actually....I mean, of course, it could be radically different but I'd prefer if he made up his mind on it - either the Maiden version, that he allowed the rest of Maiden to work on is an improvement and is the final version of that song or if he doesn't feel that it is, he shouldn't have agreed to use it on the final album.. Do you guys know what I mean?

Bruce releasing his own version is like telling the rest of Maiden and the world that "Oh yeah, well the version on the Maiden album wasn't actually what I had in mind. It was this instead"

I'm not sure how I feel about Bruce releasing his own version of the same song actually....I mean, of course, it could be radically different but I'd prefer if he made up his mind on it - either the Maiden version, that he allowed the rest of Maiden to work on is an improvement and is the final version of that song or if he doesn't feel that it is, he shouldn't have agreed to use it on the final album.. Do you guys know what I mean?
Yeah, to some degree. But for me it has feeling of "Bring you daughter" all over again, maybe it will be bonus track if solo album happen? I love darker tone of his previous albums so I can't wait.

For some reason, until I read this interview, I felt that he kind of "cancelled" that album. He never spoke of it, other than that a song was used, nothing saying about that album. His use of words, kind of indicated like he said "what would have been my solo album" (didn't he say that somewhere?).
I also had the feeling that he ruled out the solo album. Don't remember the exact quotes... I thought he said something like "we used the song because I have no plans for a solo album anyway".

I don't like the idea of redoing IESF... I feel like this song will lose it's identity then - one of the versions will look like a cover. Strange. Maybe Bruce regrets he gave it to Maiden after seeing it's one of fans' favourite? :p

Or he just doesn't feel that this version is "right". I have this kind of feeling very often in my work and it's annoying like hell. Anyway time will tell.

I don't mind hearing two different interpretations, even if the differences are small. Not sure if the band would mind.

"I'll prefer my version!"
91r5qzqwf2l__sl1500_-kopip-jpg.4512

(credit goes to Somewhere in Life: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-pictures.15614/page-31 (last post))

Well, the production on Btuce's version woukd most definitely be better.
But I never really made up my mind on which Bring your daughter to the slaughter version is better.

Yeah, I'm with you all the way. It seems to show a lack of faith in the Maiden version and I don't like that.

If Eternity Should Fail is a great song indeed. The verses are awesome, yet the chorus could be much better.

Thus I rate this opener as 9/10.

Last edited:
More on this song (source):

Yeah, I did do two songs on the album, but the first song on the album, the one that opens the album, was actually written for a solo album and was demoed with Roy Z [who produces many of Dickinson’s solo records] out in L.A. And the demo that we did is effectively almost identical to the Maiden version. Maiden just effectively copied what we’d done, a few minor alterations.

So that wasn’t intentional; I didn’t even know I was writing for Maiden at that point. I was just writing an opening title track for what was probably going to be a solo album and which was actually probably going to be a concept album. And the spoken word that’s at the end of that track is actually the beginning of the story. So it introduces this character, “Hello, I’m Doctor Necropolis, and I’m formed of the dead. My own two sons, I gave them birth, and I filled them, their living corpses with my bile.”

So yeah, you think, “Ah, that’s cool. What’s this about then?” And you never find out because it goes off into “Speed of Light,” and you think, “Well, that was weird. What was all that about?”

And I did say to Steve [Harris], I said, “Look, what do you want to do about this spoken word thing, because it fits with the rest of my solo thing, but I’m not sure it makes any sense. It’s kind of a non-sequitur; it doesn’t go anywhere for a Maiden album.”

“Ah,” he said, “but it’s got a lot of soul. It mentions a lot of stuff about souls in there, doesn’t it?” “Yes, it does, yes, it does.” He goes, “Oh, it’s all good then.” So okay, great.
Another thing about that track is it is actually in drop D guitar tuning. It’s the first time we’ve ever done it in Maiden. So there was much furrowed brows and consternation about that.

edit:
For everyone interested (and who hasn't heard the stuff below) ...
He did 2 things with Eddie Trunk the radio interview and the podcast

It is in the podcast here

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast
(under past episodes)

The quote in question starts at about the 39 minute mark
... from about the 1 hour mark, Bruce answers a question about that intended solo album. It's clearly not a priority I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the Bruce solo stuff is way on the back burner .. given his recent illness, Maiden ramping up, and his various aviation ventures. I am not really sure when the guy sleeps

Back