Official Maidenfans poll: Favorite studio album 2015

What is your favorite Iron Maiden studio album?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killers

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Number of the Beast

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Piece of Mind

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • Somewhere in Time

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • No Prayer for the Dying

• Fear of the Dark

• The X Factor

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Virtual XI

• Brave New World

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Dance of Death

• A Matter of Life and Death

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Book of Souls

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
With a new album today, the Book Of Souls era formally begins. Time for a new album poll!

Members are encouraged to take their time voting here. I know I still need a while for TBOS to sink in and really decide where it stands.

Same here SMX. I need to re-listen to my favorites, Seventh Son and Brave New World and give Book of Souls some time to sink in. But it's up there contesting with the big boys for now.

Five years on since the last poll and my vote still goes to 7th Son. As I no doubt said in that thread, it was the first album I heard back in 1989 and has never been topped IMHO, I love every song and never skip a track while listening, I really can't say that for any other album (apart from BOS, but that's only due it being fresh)

Still A Matter of Life and Death which I believe is their most consistent album song for song, and also the most focused in terms of atmosphere. I have individual songs I rate higher from The Final Frontier, but as a complete album A Matter of Life and Death takes the cake. (And to be honest "The Legacy", "For the Greater Good of God" and "Lord of Light" are resting firmly in my top 10 in any case.) It's one of those rare albums where specific songs are lifted because they are part of a greater whole - would I listen to "Out of the Shadows" and love it if it had been on No Prayer for the Dying? Probably not! But here it fits perfectly in the flow of the album, and I couldn't imagine skipping it. As for production & playing on the record, I think everyone did a tremendous job on it. The drum sound is a particular highlight for me, and especially Nicko's old snare.

For the record, The Final Frontier and The X Factor are the runners-up.

I don't see TBOS taking my #1 spot from Piece of Mind, but you never know. I'll wait until the survivor is over to vote.

Went with SSOASS in the end.

It was very much a contest between that, SiT and NOTB. If it were a question of "which album has the best 5 songs?" then NOTB would've won easily, but whilst it's highs are by far the highest it also suffers from being the least consistent in my view with Gangland and Total Eclipse, for me, being a bit of a low point. SiT is very similar to SSOASS in that they are both incredibly consistent in quality in my mind, but I find the songs on the latter just a slight bit catchier overall.

Honorable mention to TBOS as I feel it is in my top 5 easily.

Somewhere in Time. I think TBOS would land #3 on my list right behind that and TFF.

1: Powerslave
2: Brave New World
3: Somewhere In Time
4: Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
5: The Book Of Souls (at least at the moment)
6: The Number Of The Beast
7: Iron Maiden
8: A Matter Of Life And Death
9: Piece Of Mind
10: The Final Frontier
11: Dance Of Death
12: The X-Factor
13: Fear Of The Dark
14: Killers
15: Virtual XI
16: No Prayer For The Dying

I still haven't voted, but I've been thinking about it. I've always voted Piece of Mind before, but upon reflection that album has dropped in my list. For the 80s, I now rank Number and Powerslave higher than all others.

For the reunion era, I've got it narrowed down to BNW and TBOS. AMOLAD is great but not as much a personal favorite, and that's what this poll is. The excitement surrounding BNW was really special, and will always be a part of that album to me. TBOS is the first album since to come with as much hoopla.

Somewhere in Time and no Album (by any Band) will ever conquer that.

Production, Sound of Guitar , Songwriting, Atmosphere won't be topped...

For the reasons I stated in Travis' thread, I'll vote for Beast here. As of today, and always subject to change, blah blah blah, I rank the top 5 as follows:

1. Number of the Beast
2. Powerslave
3. Somewhere in Time
4. Iron Maiden
5. The Book of Souls

Back