Forum cover band song #2 - call for musicians

Not that I mind recording with a click track, but if we can make do without one i would prefer that.

I like Maiden's approach- let the music have a natural ebb and flow. It serves their sogwriting well. I can always do stick clicks during non-drum passages that can be cut out in the final mix. If the drums are laid down first then everyone else can use that as a reference.
Remember though, that sticks following cymbal crashes, will ruin the cymbals if they are too close together.

My preferred songs would be Sign of the Cross and Wicker Man. In the latter, if Knick took "the rhythmic pattern part that bookends it and not the full thing" then I'd like to have the rest of the solo.

Yes, Paschendale would be easy. A section I'd be concerned about is something like the middle of Sign of the Cross, where I don't think stick clicks would work in those long spaces. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be hard for Yax to take out stick clicks and leave the cymbal work. Nonetheless, our experience with Alex shows we will need some kind of click there to keep together.
Maybe what I can do is just record the middle section thru the odd-time stuff with a click, that would eliminate any bleed into the overheads from stick clicks

I don't know that Paschendale is "next" - we'll be working on a few I think, since we'll all be free to do tracks at different times. I'll be working on Wild Wind drums and Sign of the Cross first as those will be the hardest for me.

I can't drum 2 Minutes To Midnight very well, Lego is better for that one. Wicker Man is a maybe, I'll have to try it out. We also may have Foro at some point for either of those if he wants them. From his videos, I think Foro might have an interesting jazzy take on 2 Minutes.
I'm cool for Wicker, 2 minutes or both. Whichever ones you don't want :)

Also, just throwing a few more songs out there...

Children of the Damned
Powerslave
The Clairvoyant

I'll be back later with some later/reunion songs :)

OMG Powerslave- yes! We should just do a whole double album of covers to celebrate TBOS... :D :rocker:

Wild Wind is feeling good on drums. Be a few days to get it together. The only tricky tempo change is the one at the very end, slowing down into the final guitar solo bit. It'll be in two sections, with a break at 3:38. I'll set up click tracks for the intro and outro and of course the second section entry. I estimate about a week to have drums and bass done.

So, when are we doing Age of Innocence, Nicko version? :D

Edit: On a sidenote, I may have been too hard on DoD. It might actually be a better album than TFF.

Wild Wind is feeling good on drums. Be a few days to get it together. The only tricky tempo change is the one at the very end, slowing down into the final guitar solo bit. It'll be in two sections, with a break at 3:38. I'll set up click tracks for the intro and outro and of course the second section entry. I estimate about a week to have drums and bass done.

I'll start working on Sign of the Cross and Paschendale. Do you want me to do either 2 Mins or Wicker Man? I'm open to either :)

If studio session scheduling permits, I might be able to start tracking this Sunday- otherwise probably next week.

You can take both of those. :ok:
If you say so! Cheers! Hopefully I can get those two out of the way this weekend. The longer tunes may have to wait... gotta try and find time in between all the sessions with paying clients :p

Speaking of, @Yax - we will be recording in Cubase. What are you using? How would you like us to handle bouncing out the raw drum tracks?

I use Pro Tools. Wav 24 bit 44.1 khz. If you bounce the parts in sections rather than a full track, just make sure they are "in place", so I can just drag them straight onto the timeline. :)

This is a paying session! Or are you saying enjoyment isn't a valid currency? :D

I use Pro Tools. Wav 24 bit 44.1 khz. If you bounce the parts in sections rather than a full track, just make sure they are "in place", so I can just drag them straight onto the timeline. :)

This is a paying session! Or are you saying enjoyment isn't a valid currency? :D
Will do! And yes, I agree with you! It's just a matter of convincing the owner/producer of that fact... :p

In all seriousness though, he is a Maiden fan (his mother even followed the band around on tour in the 90s- knows most of them). He's pretty excited to be taking part.

Reactions: Yax
It's supremely fun to watch you guys plan this out. Multiple of everyone on every instrument, I think, is really cool.

If you need someone to do the vocal bridge for Heaven Can Wait I'm available.
And I play a mean cowbell.

Back