Metal with female vocals

Saw The Sirens a few weeks ago. Three days later they stood in Paris. I am amazed by the quality of the sound / recording of these vids!

Check out this milestone in metal "Strange Machines" (The Gathering) by Anneke:

And here "Death Hymn" (a 3rd and the Moral classic) by Kari Rueslåtten.

Plus a song in Norwegian:

Last edited:
I speak English grammar not.
The grammar is fine, albeit a little archaic. "Forms" is the noun, not the verb. The forms are endless and most beautiful (and most wonderful). See the Darwin quote (in NP's post) on which the title is based.

This is from The Gathering: 25 Years of Diving into the Unknown - Special Anniversary (evening) Show at Doornroosje, Nijmegen (NL)

From the same camera operator, enjoy!

I saw Huntress supporting Amon Amarth tonight. While I didn't find their music anything special, Jill Janus is one hell of a frontwoman. Incredible singer, and seriously entertaining on stage. For some reason her eyes glow yellow in the pics I took.

P1050291_zps2793d0f2.jpg

P1050292_zps6b15b8e3.jpg

P1050296_zps22b8738f.jpg

P1050295_zps30503d36.jpg

So full album of the above band is out now and there's a 4 (!) CD version of it: metal version of the album, folky version of same songs, and instrumentals of both versions. Will just listen to the first one for start :p

Well, Arjen Lucassen's conception of a "single" is a release that's just one full-length CD. Four discs roughly corresponds to an EP.

In general I'm really not a fan of females fronting metal bands. I like Arch enemy but that's different being that they're death metal vocals so you can't tell the difference. For rock I think it's fine. I like Heart and Stevie Nicks is great.

I've been listening to Huntress again over the past couple of days. I can never make up my mind. I so want to like them because there's some very, very nice guitar work in there at times, and because Jill Janus is such a kickass frontwoman.

Where it's lacking, sadly, is in vocal melodies (or rather a lack of variety therein), and at times, the lyrics are hovering between weak and cheese. Jill's vocals are a real mixed bag. She is most certainly a very powerful singer who hits every note spot on live, and uses a variety of techniques. She does a mixture of clean vocals, harsher screechy vocals, a more operatic style and screams/shreiks. She also has a first-class growl when she chooses to use it, but sadly, she rarely does. I think the vocals would really benefit from better melodies and more vocal harmonies. The vocals are mostly stuck in a fairly limited higher range of notes. The theme by and large revolves around witchcraft and the occult, which is a major part of Jill's highly theatrical stage act.

This is the track that currently stands out for me, not least because of some nice guitar sound and in particular the second solo.

If you're a fan of metalcore, I recommend that you check out the Dutch female-fronted band, The Charm The Fury. They're amazing and I can't wait for them to release a new album. It has the potential to be a really good one if they expand on their great debut album, "A Shade of My Former Self".
Watch the videos for "Carte Blanche", "Virtue of Leadership" and "Colorblind".

Not a metal band, but I picked up an L7 album the other day. An all female punk-ish band. Perhaps most famous for raffling off a 1 night stand with the drummer

Their one radio "hit"

Yes, yes and yes...You're my new favorite Maidenfan member Bearfan...

I bought my first L7 album on a student trip to Berlin in 1998. For people who like grunge and great rock riffing. I posted this in Now Playing a few days ago...one of my fave tracks of theirs. Makes me want to go skateboard downhill and do drugs even if I'm like 10-15 years too old for that :p

Last edited:
They are a good band, "grunge and great rock riffing" is a really good description. I am listening to the LP "Bricks are Heavy" right now

Back