Classic albums and famous bands you don't like

Alright, they made many records and some are quite different from each other. I am still busy with my chronological discovery but I need to talk about that in the prog topic. ;)

Oh, the agony of hate for hair metal. :)

Of the last couple pages the one thing I have to say is that Def Leppard's debut album may be the best debut album of all time. I'd say that GnR's debut album would rival it. Def Leppard's Hysteria was good, but pretty commercial. Just my 2 cents.

I remember hearing the early Def Leppard stuff, really loving it and being excited to check out Hysteria knowing that it was their big classic album. I also remember being extremely disappointed. It's like half filler.

Also, Glam rules! :shred:

Agreed! Hysteria Haas some fun stuff, but it's the worst out the first 4.

Also, love glam!

I never cared for the Beatles. I don't hate them though, I'm not some snob who hates everything that's commercial or popular. But...they're just not that interesting to me. At all.

Megadeth, Led Zeppelin (apart from Led Zeppelin IV, I quite like that), Thin Lizzy, The Beatles, David Bowie, Alice In Chains.

They're the main ones for me.

:)

Zeppelin is either hit or miss for me. You get several timeless classics, but you have to navigate through all the crap first. Presence and Zeppelin III are total clunkers too.

It's not really a case of not liking or not appreciating how good the music is (or how important it was at the time), but I just don't enjoy listening to almost everything that I would describe as "classic". Someone I have a great respect for, as a guitar player, but who I just cannot listen to, is Hendrix. I quite like watching footage of him; I find that quite interesting. But with listening to him, I just start track skipping & getting really bored. Like Eric (& a few others), I can get pretty bored with listening to Zepplin too.

I was reading through all of this thread & started to think I was loosing my marbles...
Any by Oasis. I've heard too many drunken yobs singing Oasis to ever be objective about their music
The one that really, really jumps out at me here is Oasis. There'll be something I like with most other bands, but not Oasis.
Yeh, you don't like Oasis. We get it. No need to repeat yourself, Brigs! :p
I really love their albums before Hysteria. Everything after that is shit. Speaking of, talk about an overrated classic album. Hysteria is mostly filler.
I remember hearing the early Def Leppard stuff, really loving it and being excited to check out Hysteria knowing that it was their big classic album. I also remember being extremely disappointed. It's like half filler.
Yeh, filler. Got you the first time Mosh! :D

OK, I let myself get carried away again, but you don't have to actually read it :)

Nirvana - yeah, some of their songs are alright, I guess (Lithium, Negative Creep), but overall they're terribly overrated. Even worse was when I tried to read their biography by Everett True - the first two hundred pages were pretty much about how they are the biggest musical geniuses, like, ever and how they are standing head and shoulders above poseurs such as Alice in Chains (whom I like much, much more). After two hundred pages I simply put the book away.

Slayer - Reign in Blood - never understood the universal love it gets. Angel of Death is great, so is Raining Blood (although two minutes of the four wouldn't really have to be just sound effects) and I even love the first twenty seconds of Altars of Sacrifice and maybe even the first twenty seconds or so of Criminally Insane… but the rest is just way too chaotic and incoherent to my tastes, and I like early Voivod. And the solos are just random runs up and down and very sloppy at that.
South of Heaven is much better, although Araya's completely out-of-tune shouts on the title track really strain my ears a bit.

U2 - I somewhat like War, The Joshua Tree and mostly even Achtung Baby… but the fame and love they get is absurd. As is when people refer to them them as "rockers". Never understood that. Just because you have guitar and a rhythmic section doesn't mean you don't play pop.
Same with Coldplay. I really like Viva La Vida, because it's fun, but the rest… the whiny tone of their early albums really gets on my nerves.

Radiohead: Again, way too whiny, I hate Yorke's voice to begin with, and I couldn't remember any melody (let alone a good one) if you put a gun to my head. It bores me to death.

From the metal genre also Iced Earth and Machine Head (it never really clicked, but I plan on to give at least Iced Earth one more try)

Maybe not a "classic band", but a case of "artist everybody seems to love and I can't stand": Skrillex. Few seconds of any given song and I'm securely on my way to an epileptic fit. I'm sure there would be much more in this genre or even in the dance/party music nowadays I would hate... but I don't know any, don't remember the "songs" and I don't even know the names of the "artists" (not that I really cared). David Guetta, maybe?

A lot of punk bands… (Sex Pistols, Minor Threat and Ramones are the worst offenders)

A lot of that "old indie stuff" - the Replacements, Hüsker Dü...
I would also say a lot of that "new indie stuff" - but I know nearly nothing, except for the Unicorns which are fun (and not "new", I realize - their first and only album came out in 2003 o_O ).

And yes, many, many others famous bands - 30 Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, Nickelback, Maroon 5, BIEBER, ONE DIRECTION :nuts2:
And I won't even talk about any of the "pop divas" - Whitney Houston, Mariah Carrey, Christina Aguillera, Rihanna, AVRIL...

On the other hand, I like some of the hip hop artists (Eminem, Wu Tang Clan, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and maybe even NWA and Notorious BIG come to mind), I love ABBA (yes, it's europop, but a very solid one - the "B guys" near the threshold of musical geniuses, if not quite reach it) and I even like Aerosmith (the first six albums or so are quite solid).

Dear @JudasMyGuide - absolutely aces on your first three opinions. I don't understand those bands at all. My buddy just made me listen to Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss and, although I don't particularly like any of them, I found Reign in Blood to be sloppy, noisy, and poorly performed.

Back