'Justice Of The Peace'

A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Justice Of The Peace' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'justice Of The Peace'

"Justice Of The Peace" sure sounds like a weird title. What's intresting is that this phrase in a nickname for Canadian Police. I wonder what that has got to do with anything?

'justice Of The Peace'

Great track which should have been included on the album for sure. Catchy and punchy, could have made a perfect single. Oh well [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

Although I like this song, I agree with the decision to leave it off the album. There's two reasons for this, firstly, it feels unfinished, and only having one verse makes the song sound very disjointed. Secondly, and most importantly, the part that comes on after both choruses sounds identical to a part in "Judgement Of Heaven" musically, just with different lyrics over the top of it. More work could have seen this being a great song, but as it is... it's easy for me to see why the song didn't make the album.

The song has so many amazing riffs. A little more work and it would've made a better song than many on the actual album.

Sara, the part you mean isn't identical, it's very similar but not identical. :blueangel:

The song has so many amazing riffs. A little more work and it would've made a better song than many on the actual album.

Sara, the part you mean isn't identical, it's very similar but not identical. :blueangel:

It does have some great riffs, especially the one during the bridge that leads into the solo.

Even if it isn't "identical", it's definitely way too similar to be on an album featuring another song with such a samey sounding section. Every time that part comes on, I feel like singing "waiting for me, waiting for mee-eee. waiting for meee... yeah yeah!" :p

Whether the band were aware of the similarity and that was the reason it was left off, or they decided to use that music for "Judgement Of Heaven" as they had already decided to leave it off the album, I don't know...

What? No part of "Judgement Of Heaven" reminds me even slightly of "The Unbeliever"... :\ Both are great songs though!

Even if it isn't "identical", it's definitely way too similar to be on an album featuring another song with such a samey sounding section. Every time that part comes on, I feel like singing "waiting for me, waiting for mee-eee. waiting for meee... yeah yeah!" :p

Whether the band were aware of the similarity and that was the reason it was left off, or they decided to use that music for "Judgement Of Heaven" as they had already decided to leave it off the album, I don't know...
Can you be more precise about the parts that you find similar? I listened to both songs but hear different chord progressions.

In Justice of the Peace
from 0.56 there are couplets with 4 different chords (or segments) with the same length (climbing up in tone)

In Judgement of Heaven
from 1:28 there are couplets with 3 different chords (or segments) and (alternated) 5 chords (segments). And the segments have different lengths, providing a different groove rhythmically.

The first segment times each time 8 counts and the 2nd 3 and the 3rd 5 counts (and in the alternated version 8, 3, 3, 2).

That's not identical, that's not very similar, that's not even similar. It's very or at least quite different.

Aha wait, I think I got it, finally! Sorry, it took a while.

In Justice: Those days are gone
In Judgement: Waiting for me.

I agree these are almost identical. However, they are the smallest (2 times 4 to 5 seconds in both songs?) and least enjoyable parts for me in both songs. Which means we're talking about 4,5 and 3 percent of the songs respectively.

I can imagine that the lyrics have now become interchangeable, for me as well now, thanks! ;-P
But the rest of songs are so different (and excellent) that I think that they wouldn't be much in each others way.

I wonder if Maiden has made more songs with the same progression on one album (or album-era)?

Last edited:
Hearing those parts back to back, yes, there is differences between the 2 parts, especially rhythmically. But they definitely sound similar, at least to me. I know that from the very first time I heard JOTP, I was reminded of that part from JOH. I do realise it is not a carbon copy of that part, but I can't help being reminded of it... In any case, it still feels unfinished... the first verse musically should have appeared again either as a 2nd verse, or after the solo, but that's just my opinion. The main riff, the chorus, the music before the solo, and the solo itself are all very good... and even the specific part under discussion, I like. I just can't stop thinking of JOH every time I hear it! lol

Did you read my 2nd post? There they sound very much the same indeed. Which parts did you mean in the first place? My 1st post or 2nd (of this day in this topic)?

Did you read my 2nd post? There they sound very much the same indeed. Which parts did you mean in the first place? My 1st post or 2nd (of this day in this topic)?

I did, but I didn't see it until after I'd made my last post. lol ;) Well, I meant the first and second post, although I would concede that only the second one mentioned is pretty much identical. The first one is more of a "sounds like", rather than being a carbon copy musically. :)

Aha both, well I really disagree a lot with the first then, but the 2nd sounds indeed like carbon copy (apart from what Nicko is doing with his snare drumming). Great find to be honest. If you find more of such similarities, be my guest, I like such trivia.

Aha both, well I really disagree a lot with the first then, but the 2nd sounds indeed like carbon copy (apart from what Nicko is doing with his snare drumming). Great find to be honest. If you find more of such similarities, be my guest, I like such trivia.

I think it was because I made that connection when I first heard the song, so now everytime I hear it, I get the same feeling. And perhaps, because of that part which is pretty much identical, it just highlighted my feelings of the previous part much more acutely, than if it hadn't been there. I can't think of any more similarities like that in Maiden songs... like I said, with JOTP, it was something I picked up right away. :lol:

Love this one too. Blaze kind of spoils it but still enjoy it quite a bit.

I love this song. One of the best of the period, but too damn short! Given there's no poll, I think I can get away with a 9.5/10 here.

Weird but not a bad song. The chorus with the melody is kinda cool. Nice melodic riffs and great verses (I think Blaze sounds not so good in some of the verses). Dave's solo is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Back